Just a quick recap. success...!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PAPA_BEAR

Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Ontario
:) Well after feeling like a complete knob, not understanding what the hell to do with the compass, the light came on this morning. 79w (AMC5) is acutally global 79 Deg West longitude line. My location is 80.1 Deg. west 43.2 N. so I need to rotate my dish 1 deg east that is if south really was where my compass is showing but it's not my magnetic Delination is 9.42 deg west ( therefore point south and turn west or right 8.42 deg.).
Right now I'm on AMC 3 (87 deg west with 93% on both signal and quality)turn 8 deg. east. to get to 79W (AMC 5). does this make sense. or am I still out to lunch? :up

Just a note: your original thread was moved to the FTA area here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=74127

I have you as just West of Hamilton, and just South of Lynden in Ontario, Canada; correct?

I was originally just using example number to teach you how to use that heading compass and after that was going to move on to using the actual coordinates for your location. So my APPOLOGIES; I should have just used the actual numbers from the begining.

For the above location I show a magnetic declination of +10.44 which would give the following coordinates for AMC-5:

Azimuth (the heading on your compass): 178.3 (+10.44) = 188.74
Elevation: 40.2
Skew: -1.2

I am assuming at this point that you are attempting to install a FTA system? If so, you might want to continue this thread, but watch for it being moved into that area where there are some SUPER experts.

I used Google earth for my co-ordinates. Typed in my address and let it do it's thing. Is that okay. My postal code is N1L 1J1.
Guelph, Ontario.

Equipment list is as follows.

Coolsat 6000 Premium,
Stab HH90 Rotor
Fortec 90cm Dish.
Invacom Quad LNB.:up

PAPA_BEAR said:
Right now I'm on AMC 3 (87 deg west with 93% on both signal and quality)turn 8 deg. east. to get to 79W (AMC 5). does this make sense. or am I still out to lunch? :up
Yes, rotate the whole motor+dish assembly slightly to the east. You'll have to raise the elevation of your dish slightly as well. Whatever you do don't touch the elevation/latitude setting on the motor!

You're almost there. Keep at it! :)

Oh yeah, I'm at 78.7 degrees west longitude and my true south satellite is AMC-5 also.

Thats what I use I well for LAT/LON searches. Using your exact town it barely changed.

AZ: 188.6
EL: 39.8
SK: -1.3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)