Just a quick ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mattl2020

Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
utica ny
This might be a dumb question, but thinking of getting Directv. If I get the Genie and 4 mini genies, the 4 mini ones you can watch live tv of off not just record so I dont need other recievers or anything. New to all this stuff any help be great thanks.

welcome :wave
There are no dumb questions

If I get the Genie and 4 mini genies, the 4 mini ones you can watch live tv of off not just record so I dont need other recievers or anything.
The clients (mini ones) you hook up at locations in the house like bedrooms or kitchen. The Genie has 5 tuners in it. The clients (mini ones) utilize one of the tuners (each client does) of the HR34/Genie. You can also watch stuff recorded from the Genie's DVR

Now the drawback for some folks is if you do lots of recording. If you are recording say 3 things and watching something else on the Genie only one of the clients can watch something else. They can watch pre-recorded content or an existing program but if you are recording shows on (as example) History, TruTV and A&E while watching the ballgame on ESPN only one of the clients can watch Nickelodeon. The others would have to watch a prerecorded show or one of the existing recordings. This is why some people spring the extra money and get a HD receiver for other rooms. While you can still watch programming off the DVR it has its own separate tuner so you can watch anything on that.

Thanks for the info, for what we would record sounds like it should work for us, if i decide to purchase a HD receiver down the road can i do that? my thing was it sounded like they are only good to watch recored shows. Since we prolly only record one thing at time, if one of is out of the it should be fine.

Thanks for the info, for what we would record sounds like it should work for us, if i decide to purchase a HD receiver down the road can i do that?
yes you can but the thing to note is usually get what you THINK you'll need up front. Its usually cheaper as a brand new customer than a 3 month old customer.....also any upgrade you make after the fact triggers a new 2 year agreeement

my thing was it sounded like they are only good to watch recored shows.
nope they work just like a receiver...can watch live programming or recorded

Since we prolly only record one thing at time, if one of is out of the it should be fine.
sounds good

:welcome to Satelliteguys mattl2020!

FYI, you can only use three clients at a time, not four. Also, you can't (generally) purchase Directv equipment, you lease it.

FYI, you can only use three clients at a time, not four.

didnt now that. I know when you create a new order it basically gives you the Genie + how many clients you say you have for TV's...so if you say 5 TV's it "recommends" a Genie and 4 clients

IIRC, you can connect up to five, but only three are available at any one time.

Can you tell me what kind of Video out the Clients (mini ones) have? "F" or composite or ? Thanks

This might be a dumb question, but thinking of getting Directv. If I get the Genie and 4 mini genies, the 4 mini ones you can watch live tv of off not just record so I dont need other recievers or anything. New to all this stuff any help be great thanks.
Plus if you get 4 C31's (clients) you will only be able to utilize 3 at the same time, the 4th one would be unusable unless of the other 3 is turned off.

Is this the same for rvu tvs? Or the ps3 (when implemented). So 3 active clients total, example

Genie. Live
Mini. Live
Mini. Live
Mini. Prerecord only
Samsung tv. Live
Ps3. (Bad example lol)

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it matters if it's a C31 or an rvu television, only three feeds are available from an HR34 at any one time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.