This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Just added H2H to daughter's bedroom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Because my daughter enjoyed watching "MTV Hits" so much on H2H this past week with me in the living room, I mixed the channel 4 output on the DSR-410 receiver with the mod out on our VIP722K receiver going to her bedroom while she is away tonight at Girl Scouts. She is going to love it!

I then performed a channel scan on her TV, so that it only receives channel 4 (H2H) and channel 60 (Dish Network) to make it easier to switch between channels. For now I'm going to simply leave the DSR-410 receiver powered on at all times, so that her programming will not be interrupted. This will also enable the favorites to remain saved which has been one of my pet peeves about the DSR-410 receiver. Then at a later date I will get a UHF remote control to enable her to change the channel, but for now she will be very happy with just "MTV Hits".

very cool. If you need a remote extender I know Rat Shack carries them. Also Ebay has them. I found a neat one that the transmitter is battery powered. Works really well

You mean there actually is a MTV channel that plays music? Didnt know that still happened

Way cool... your a good father and promoting C band in the home. I think you hooked her on the H2H stuff popcorn

I have my 4D on channel 3 and Direct on 69. I have channel 3 daisy chained so I can watch the 4D, Shaw (405) , Visionsat and my Zenith OTA DTV converter on Ch 3 anywhere in the house. I also feed composite video and audio all over the house. Too many wires here

You mean there actually is a MTV channel that plays music? Didnt know that still happened

Yep MTV Hits is like MTV was back in the day. CMT Pure plays nothing but country videos like CMT did back in the day. There is also VH1 Soul and MTV Jams out there that are all music.

Attachments

• MTVHits.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 239
  • CMTPURE.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

MTV Hits is a good channel that only airs music videos like MTV did in the 80's. Plus with lots of half naked women in these videos dad likes watching the station too.

MTV Hits is a good channel that only airs music videos like MTV did in the 80's. Plus with lots of half naked women in these videos dad likes watching the station too.

Your H2H story is a good one and I'm glad you're taking the time to keep us updated here at SatGuys.

H2H isn't for everybody it's true, but your family's experience and acceptance is awesome and a good example to other "on the fencers"!

Do the deed and get your daughter her own H2H.

Oh yeah...MTV Hits...awesome eh?!

I suspect you've been bitten by the Big Dish bug....muwahahahahahah

can I ask how you combined the dish722 (chan 3) and dsr410 (chan 4) outputs? diplexer?

Perhaps it's looped through...

TV Out on the dish722 to the TV In on the dsr410

On the Dish dual tuner units the 2nd output (TV2) you can set the channel to a UHF channel between 21-69 if I remember right or even a cable channel. The default is 60

Thats what I did at my dad's....run the coax from TV1 & TV2 into a channel 3 combiner and that is output to 2 or 3 TV's in the house

You can also get UHF modulators and do all kind of cool things.

I have a four channel ChannelPlus modulator that sends signals to any TV in the house. It hooks up with composite video/audio but the sound is mono. Any TV can have a different source and I do have the pyramid remote extenders for convenience. The 400 disc DVD changer is channel 41, Blu-ray with Netflix is channel 43, DVD/HDD recorder with QAM channels is channel 45 and the VCR(???) is hanging in on channel 47. The VCR will be history soon and my DSR922 will prevail! I could use another channel or 2 so I can dedicate to FTA and whatever else follows me home. The only drawback with this setup is when the composite output is used on the devices it disables the HDMI output. However the video running through the component hookup to the main TV sure does look great!!!...

Sometimes new 4 channel modulators go for under $100 on Ebay. The last set of remote extenders (Powermid X10) cost me a whopping $7.25 with shipping and they were brand new too!!!

mix 'n match

My buddy had to deal with his cable system, which was pretty much full up.
He wanted to put three satellite receivers on-line for the house, and share them with the cable channels.

Radio Shack was discontinuing some stereo digital modulators at the time.
I think they were priced around $20 or 25, and tuned VHF, UHF, and Cable frequencies.
They had an LED 7-segment display, and up/down push buttons to select a channel.
(I've seen similar units at Sadoun, or search eBay/internet)

Forget the details, but I think we put the modulators on 81, 83, & 85.
We ran the three modulator outputs -and- the cable signal, backwards through a 4:1 TV splitter.
Luckily, the amplitudes were close, and it worked pretty well.

In testing, we found that the cable had noise in the range of our modulator channels, and caused some interference.
We got some sort of low-pass filter that cut off above channel 80, and pre-filtered the cable signal.
That cleaned up the interference and the combined signal got distributed throughout the house.

Later, when converter boxes became available, one of the satellite channels gave way to local channel 18.2, the all-Japanese channel!
(it wasn't on the cable, and it wasn't on the satellite)

The only problem with consumer grade modulators is they do throw harmonics in different places of the band. High dollar high quality commercial modulators don't have that problem. I got a commercial rack mount channel 8 modulator from a friend years ago. We had analog 7 & 9 here in Chicago. That thing was great till it gave up the ghost. It put out a totally clean signal that interfered with nothing. After it died I stripped it for parts it had boards & boards of tuned filters in it. Thats what it takes to put out a broadcast signal. If I had the cash flow I would get a bunch of commercial VHF modulators and put them on my Matv system since almost all of VHF is open now here after the digital conversion. You can't beat commercial gear.

I use Drake frequency agile desktop modulators - A-class quality and stereo audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.