Just asking???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because when you really think about it (and if you've ever used it), the 'dual view' system is awful. Especially the way it's implemented by Dish. They make it sound so good, and it looks good on paper, but it sucks in actual use if you don't live alone (and even if you do, there's ways it can screw with you).

- The TV2 output is SD. So if you want HD on the second TV, you'd need a box for it anyway.
- The dual tuner boxes are just that.. Two tuners - one for each TV. So with the DVR's, if you have two recordings that conflict, you have to watch one of them (or a previously recorded program) on TV2.
- With the way the DVR scheduler works, you have to choose which tuner it records on when you create the timer. That makes that particular tuner unavailable to change the channel, and there is no way around it if you decide you want to watch TV in that room at that time. You either have to stop the recording or go to the other TV. It doesn't allow you to switch tuners at a given TV.
- Dish charges by the tuner, not by the box. The 'dual tuner' boxes from Dish cost double the monthly lease fee.

DirecTV having a tuner (or two) at each TV avoids all of these problems. Setting two recordings in the living room does not affect what you watch in the bedroom. If you want to add a second DVR (2 tuners), you only pay $6 extra, as opposed to the $15 you pay with Dish.

Last edited:
Well put

Never liked E* Dual tuner

That all being said, D* is coming out with multi room system the HR30 which will do up to 5 rooms. It supposedly should be out this year.
Not a lot of information out on it yet as far as how pricing will be but I doubt they will offer this as a single receiver.
A huge advantage over this system is it works through the SWM DECA system and because you will need to either have a capable TV or an adapter to make it work on additional tv's, you should get true HD at all TV's. Also, it will allow you to record multiple programs and still watch different shows in the other rooms.
Do not know what the limitations will be on this.

JerseyMatt
Its actually $17 for a dual tuner DVR.

I agree with what you said too. My dad has one of those dual tuner DVR's and while right now in the winter it works great this past summer/fall he hated it. The 2nd tuner goes to the back "party" garage. During the summer/fall he'll sit out there and watch TV. If he wants to record something he either has to watch it or record to tuner 1 which disables the ability for his girlfriend to watch something else. Now with it winter its in "single mode" which basically makes it work like a D* DVR.

The record listing looks cluttered too if you do series recording. With the D* DVR's if you record a show and say "1st run only" and its a rerun, nothing happens. Not in the list or anything. On that E* dual tuner unless you set it up to hide them they will show ALL recordings for a show and if a rerun there is a line through it. Looks confusing as hell to see 5 items on a Monday and 3 have a line through them.

It also reminds me of some folks who use the "well on a E* 722 or 622 you can record 4 items with an OTA tuner attached" as to why they feel the E* receivers are better. While that might be an advantage for some not everyone has OTA setup....or even better they do but OTA is spotty so they use the sat tuners anyways which makes the point moot. While I would love the D* DVR's to add a tuner if you use OTA I can count the times on one hand that I really wish I had this option. But I guess thats where the 2nd DVR can come into play :)

agreed; I pay for HD and watch HD almost exclusively so the dual TV out ( the OP calls it tuner) thing is total crap; just pay the extra $5 for another receiver and the best PQ available at other the TV too. Well worth it!

I really didn't have much problem with the dual tuners from Dish. The lack of dual HD was an issue for me (and Dish still doesn't really have a dual tuner HD unit unless you count the 922 using Sling) and the recording could be a problem with multiple shows recording and trying to watch live TV but there are similar types of idiosyncrasies with the H24/HR24 MRV systems such as the inability to schedule/change recording from a different DVR.

Overall, I like DirecTV's MRV system MUCH better than Dish's dual tuner receivers.

My dad had a E* 522. Once in a while, tv2 would change channels by itself, some times to a channel he did not subscribe to. He called E*, they sent a new 522, tv2 would still change. He ordered a remote, still tv2 change. A tech was sent out, he did not find a problem. I went over to my dads house to see if I could figure out what was the problem, and I figured it out. The guy across the street had E* and his tv2 uhf remote signal would sometimes reach my dads 522. I relocated the 522 away from the window, but the 522 would occationally change cause of the guy. It was only after I posted what had happed that I was told the E* remotes and receivers could be addressed so a second remote would not interfear. By that time it was too late cause the guy across the street had been arrested by the DEA for manufacturing drugs.

JerseyMatt
Its actually $17 for a dual tuner DVR.

That's right, it's $15 for the regular 222 without the DVR.

I agree with what you said too. My dad has one of those dual tuner DVR's and while right now in the winter it works great this past summer/fall he hated it. The 2nd tuner goes to the back "party" garage. During the summer/fall he'll sit out there and watch TV. If he wants to record something he either has to watch it or record to tuner 1 which disables the ability for his girlfriend to watch something else. Now with it winter its in "single mode" which basically makes it work like a D* DVR.

Yeah single mode is really the only way the DVRs work worth a damn. If they are running 2 TV's, there should be 3 tuners. I think the ONLY good point they have is that you get DVR functions (live pause/RW/FF) on the TV2. Even though the 222's don't have that issue, you still don't get HD on TV2 and you're still paying double. Unless they find a way to stick an ATSC modulator in there, there will never be a 'boxless' solution to that problem. It'll have to be like the way D* is doing the HR30 - either a networkable TV or slave boxes at the remote TV's.

The record listing looks cluttered too if you do series recording. With the D* DVR's if you record a show and say "1st run only" and its a rerun, nothing happens. Not in the list or anything. On that E* dual tuner unless you set it up to hide them they will show ALL recordings for a show and if a rerun there is a line through it. Looks confusing as hell to see 5 items on a Monday and 3 have a line through them.

Yeah I really don't know what they're thinking when they do some of that stuff.. We really don't care what it's NOT recording, as long as it's recording what it's supposed to! I guess now that I think about it, it COULD be so that you can see skipped things and adjust priority if you want?

It also reminds me of some folks who use the "well on a E* 722 or 622 you can record 4 items with an OTA tuner attached" as to why they feel the E* receivers are better. While that might be an advantage for some not everyone has OTA setup....or even better they do but OTA is spotty so they use the sat tuners anyways which makes the point moot. While I would love the D* DVR's to add a tuner if you use OTA I can count the times on one hand that I really wish I had this option. But I guess thats where the 2nd DVR can come into play :)

I'm with ya there too.. In rural Kansas, reliable OTA (especially with digital) is nearly impossible without a giant antenna on a 100' tower (and it has to have a rotator, because they're not in the same general direction). I'd love to get some of the subchannels, but they just aren't in the air for me to grab, so I have to use the locals on sat. And TBH, there is only one show on network that I DVR. Everything else is on 'cable', so it wouldn't even help as far as conflicts go. The second DVR does help there. It would be really nice if the 'conflict management' system would make use of multiple DVR's on the network, rather than bumping recordings by the priority list.

Last edited:
Thanks guys happy for all the feed back... i just was not sure why but i guess it just make since to have a unit in each room..
i am happy with my DTV i use to use Dish but was sick of having three BUD in the yard so i went to DTV and just have to use one.. make the yard look better :) all i need now is if dtv would turn the power up and i could use the smaller bud's....

thanks,
guys

Just a side note ,

Philips did make dual tuner dual tv box for DTV. it would be the equal to the DN 322 receiver worked just like Dish's model people hated it and it was not a big seller so it was never to be seen of again .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)