Just Can't Locate Galaxy 10R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satelliteremotecontrol

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Hello There

I am having the hardest time finding Galaxy 10R. Not that that isn't the norm for that satellite. I have been reading for the past week tons and tons throughout the net, and I seem to be having the same problem alot of others have had.

I bought a 33" Dish and Linear LNB, simply for Galaxy 10R. I am all set-up with other Dishes/receivers for the usual 110, 119, 82, 91, etc. I was interested in this though for other reasons.

I have what I believe to be the correct Co-Ordinates for my location. I have read other posts that seem to be pretty near the same as me for a close location. I have a clear view, open sky, no obstacles.

This afternoon I was able to locate 121W, which got me all excited knowing I am just 2 degrees away from my goal. I have a little Tv. set in the window to watch the Level & Quality while I am at the dish. This is where my first problem is coming in.

I can't get any type of Signal reading, which I understand if I am not on the satellite, I won't. However, since the channels are loaded yet in the receiver, since I haven't found it, how will I even get a signal reading?

If the Level is high, does that mean I am in the right spot? I wondered if the Level was low, then I am doing something wrong, but if the level were high, then maybe I was in to something? Either way, the Level right now is 92. Still no signal strength.

Now I have heard and read about doing a Live Transponder something, or do a Blind Scan, but nothing is happening, or I don't know what it means. Like Live Transponder something? I forget the name, but I read it this morning somewhere.

I know I am rambling on and on, but I just thought I would come to where I hear everyone talk about the best info and best people. I am in need of serious help.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks in advance to anyone who offers info and advice. Greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

I'm a newb here, but I think a 33 inch dish is a little small for good KU reception, but I'm sure you'll get something with just about any size dish. I'm using a 1.2 meter dish and a clear view of the sky and I am seeing g10 very well. Not sure what part of the country your in, but I'm in the north east and g10 is about 17 degrees off the horizon. Why dont you post some of your data and maybe we can help you more. The only thing I can say is keep trying its up there, but if I had to guess a bigger dish would help.

Your dish size should be fine but you do need an active transponder. Use 11805 H 04580 or 11800 V 26660. Iceberg prepared a nice list at the top of the FTA page.

Are you skewing the LNB properly?

What kind of receiver do you have? My Coolsat allows me to select transponders from a list. As has been mentioned you'll need to find an active transponder first before you can do anything else.

The fact that you're getting 121 is a good sign. It means you're at least in the ballpark. :)

Hello There

Thanks everyone for the responses and info. I am located in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Literally I am (30m.) away from Toronto. The only thing I might now be right on is the Skew for the LNB. I have read a few rough idea's of what my Skew should be?

My receiver is a Pansat 2700A (Clone).

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Your skew should be 36.2 . You can go to the Sadoun link on our site and click on technical support then stationary dish and it will tell you your parameters.

How did you "know" that you're on 121W???

IF you're definitely on 121W and getting good quality numbers, then your skew is probably set correctly (or at least good enough) for G10R at 123 becuase there will be little difference between the two.

When you have the signal/quality meter up on your receiver (which receiver are you using by the way?) make sure that the TP that is selected is actually transmitting something. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that give you a list. If you have a TP selected on which nothing is being transmitted, you won't be able to tell if you're on the right sat or not.

Hello There

To answer the last reply to my thread, I am using the Pansat 2700A Clone receiver, and I believed I was on 121W because to find it I selected Echo 9-13, felt I was there, and then did a scan. After the scan, the channels (Only about 7 of them) downloaded. The receiver then read at the bottom of those channels while flicking 121W and the channels I was watching were infact the locals that lyngsat lists as channels from 121. That's why I was certain I found 121. I was watching channels from 121, and the receiver said it was 121. However there were only (7) channels that loaded??????

Sincerely,

There are a lot more than 7 channels on 121w but nearly all are encrypted.

One way to tell is if you get the Dish Network "barker" channel because they're always in the clear..

Correct, you should only get the one ITC channel on 121(ku band), and that would tell you if you're on Echostar7/IA-13.

The receiver is going to tell you that you're on E7/IA-13 because that's what you told it you were on when you did the scan. It's just a database.

Dish Elevation Scale

Don't always trust the elevation making on the dish. My Fortec was off about 2 deg. which can make a difference between no signal and a good signal. If you're getting a strong signal from 121 you may be a little high in elevation.

Where I'm located G10R is 22 degrees in elevation. Since the Fortec as an offset ~23deg. my dish points down towards the ground just a bit. Also check the G10R signal footprint for a 33" dish in your area. However you should get at least the stronger transponders with a 33.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)