Just curious, is “moving” legal?

The local affiliates state, we will let you carry our locals, as long as you only allow them in our area.
Why? Because advertisers are the ones that pay their bills and the advertisers want there ads in a target area.

Whether you agree with it or not, why do you think seat belt laws got pushed and helmet laws. Do you think the powers that be, care if you drive safe or not? Nope. But!...if you wear a seat belt, you lesson your chances of major injury, and your hospital/doctor bills will be cheaper. So, who lobbied hard for these laws? Yes, you guessed it insurance companies.

So, do you think DISH really cares what locals you watch. Nope, as long as you stay connected and pay them every month they couldn't care less. But!...DISH has to go by the agreement with the local providers and tell you this.
Not, illegal as in, your going to the big house.

I can tell this weighs on you though, as you have made multiple posts about it over the years. :)

Last edited:
Want to "move?" I say...

4B8E0F64-8203-45E8-A428-570297A28965.gif

Reactions: charlesrshell
The local affiliates state, we will let you carry our locals, as long as you only allow them in our area.
Why? Because advertisers are the ones that pay their bills and the advertisers want there ads in a target area.

Whether you agree with it or not, why do you think seat belt laws got pushed and helmet laws. Do you think the powers that be, care if you drive safe or not? Nope. But!...if you wear a seat belt, you lesson your chances of major injury, and your hospital/doctor bills will be cheaper. So, who lobbied hard for these laws? Yes, you guessed it insurance companies.

So, do you think DISH really cares what locals you watch. Nope, as long as you stay connected and pay them every month they couldn't care less. But!...DISH has to go by the agreement with the local providers and tell you this.
Not, illegal as in, your going to the big house.

I can tell this ways on you though, as you have made multiple posts about it over the years. :)
After having my locals held hostage during various major events thru the years..I think their needs to be an option for consumers to get around these disputes like maybe an internet option

Because advertisers are the ones that pay their bills and the advertisers want there ads in a target area.
Well... There are also the carriage fees which we pay through Dish to whichever local we've "moved" to. So, those who "move" are in fact paying at least the carriage fees. I have no idea which is a greater source of revenue for local affiliates.

I suspect overall that "movers", like RV'ers and truckers, represent such a small number of subscribers that it's not worth the costs to audit any of us for DMA compliance. Especially lacking complaints from the local stations that have no way of knowing if they have anything to complain about. There's no benefit to Dish in verifying our actual locations, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's likely some balance between subscribers that "move" from DMA 'A' to DMA 'B" and subscribers that "move" from DMA 'B' to DMA 'A'.

I suspect overall that "movers", like RV'ers and truckers, represent such a small number of subscribers that it's not worth the costs to audit any of us for DMA compliance. Especially lacking complaints from the local stations that have no way of knowing if they have anything to complain about. There's no benefit to Dish in verifying our actual locations, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there's likely some balance between subscribers that "move" from DMA 'A' to DMA 'B" and subscribers that "move" from DMA 'B' to DMA 'A'.
There was a looong legal battle forced dish to care about subscribers location...at one time it was very easy to order distants...the only remnant left is the RV exemption

Yes, I know made a few threads about “moving” over the years, but to the best of my knowledge I can only remember once about asking about the legalities of it, and I forgot what people said. Anyways, I appreciate your answers guys and I’ll probably stay “moved”.

There was a looong legal battle forced dish to care about subscribers location...at one time it was very easy to order distants...the only remnant left is the RV exemption
Yep, but that was a "Distants" issue, not a "moving" issue. Dish was allowing subscribers to qualify for DNS without meeting the FCC requirements.

Well... There are also the carriage fees which we pay through Dish to whichever local we've "moved" to. So, those who "move" are in fact paying at least the carriage fees. I have no idea which is a greater source of revenue for local affiliates.

BIL works for an ABC affiliate and says the retrans fees are a much higher source of revenue than advertising.

Reactions: TheKrell
Back then you could get distants by simply claiming you moved around. That's what caused all the trouble when Dish wasn't verifying that you were in fact eligible for distants.

Initially you got distants by the retailer faxing a document to dish stating that they had performed a signal test at your house and you were unable to receive your locals OTA. You'd then qualify for the East/West network package.

Initially you got distants by the retailer faxing a document to dish stating that they had performed a signal test at your house and you were unable to receive your locals OTA. You'd then qualify for the East/West network package.
I really wish Dish offered Superstations again to new subscribers of them and not just have “grandfathered” subscriptions. I had the Superstations some of the time when I originally had Dish and would love to subscribe to them again. Even if they are just SD.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I really wish Dish offered Superstations again to new subscribers of them and not just have “grandfathered” subscriptions. I had the Superstations some of the time when I originally had Dish and would love to subscribe to them again. Even if they are just SD.

That was satellite TV in it's prime. Superstations, NY and LA networks were $4.99/ea or you could get all 3 for $12.99