Just got a Samsung 50inch 4k (6950)...new to me...

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I got this TV kinda by accident. I actually went out to buy a 55 inch 6350, but the store I went to was out of them even though when I checked online before going... it said they had them in stock.

Anyways... long story short, I came home with this 50 inch 4k 6950.
SOOoooo glad I didn't get the 55inch as I'm not sure I could have fit it in the entertainment center. :)

Picture... gorgeous.
4k streamed from Netflix... works fine. I was a bit concerned that we didn't have a fast enough internet service, but.... no buffering so I think we're ok.

Now... a question...
I currently have a 5 disc CD/DVD changer. I put in a Lord of the Rings DVD and the TV is upscaling it I think because it didn't look this good on my 42inch Panasonic plasma (1080p).
I think I'd like to replace the changer with a BluRay player. We never load it up with CDs any more. We only play one disc at a time. We have music content available from so many other sources now, we don't need to load 5 discs and shuffle them any more.

SO... I saw a Samsung BluRay player that upscales to 4k. Would there be a reason to get an upscaling BluRay player if the TV is upscaling? It's like $150 for the upscaling one and like $100 for one that doesn't upscale. They seem to be 3D, Smart and all that. Neither of which I need because the TV isn't 3D, and the TV is already "smart" so I'll never use the apps on a BluRay player. No biggie. And while the TV makes DVDs looks awesome, my GUESS is that it'll make BluRay look even better. :)

If that's an incorrect assumption, can somebody please slap me? Because if I don't really NEED to change out the disc player I will hold off. Eventually it'll get changed out. If you think I'll really see a difference, then I'll push the "finance committee" (wife) to let me get one soon.

ALSO.... cables...
I absolutely REFUSE to pay the inflated Monster Cable prices. They're ridiculous. HOWEVER... I can get 18G/sec cables from monoprice at fairly reasonable prices. Or maybe from one of the sponsors here. My problem right now is that some of my HDMI cables are just SOOooo darn stiff. It feels like they're putting pressure on the connections. Can you get good, high speed HDMI cables that are a bit more flexible?

I think that's it for now.
Thanks for any suggestions/help/education :)

The 4K display will upscale everything to it's native resolution, which is 4K. The only reason I can think of you would want upscaling in the disk player would be if the player did upscaling better. At these price points I have a hard time believing the player would do better than what is built into the TV.

I bought an 8550 recently as well as a Samsung Blu-Ray player. I did not get the upscaling model.

The 4K display will upscale everything to it's native resolution, which is 4K. The only reason I can think of you would want upscaling in the disk player would be if the player did upscaling better. At these price points I have a hard time believing the player would do better than what is built into the TV.

I bought an 8550 recently as well as a Samsung Blu-Ray player. I did not get the upscaling model.

Which BluRay player did you get and.... does it play CDs? I had always assumed that they all played CD, DVD and (of course) BluRay, but some of them don't say they play CDs in their description and/or specs

Which BluRay player did you get and.... does it play CDs? I had always assumed that they all played CD, DVD and (of course) BluRay, but some of them don't say they play CDs in their description and/or specs

I got the H5900 model. I could have gone a model lower as I don't use the 3D function. I think they all support CD playback. This one does according to the manual. I don't have any CD's anymore.

I want to get an 8550 when the new models come out and the clear these out...

I'm happy so far. 4K content from Amazon and Comcast is amazing. Regular HD upscaled looks fine too.

I decided to take the plunge after Samsung announced their 2015 models. All the better featured displays are curved and I'm not interested in curved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)