Just got DISH and can no longer record DVD's in correct aspect ratio.

I just bought something like it, a RCA AV to HDMI HD Converter Composite Video Adapter with a HDMI Output and it didn't work is there any point in buying a similar one with a HDMI Input instead because they do make those?
I had to review the posts above to figure out what problem we are addressing. The solution I proposed in the post above yours was not to address your aspect ratio issue, but rather my 4K TV's lack of HDMI inputs. So... The adapter you bought (AV to HDMI) is going the wrong direction.

You want an HDMI (or component) to AV composite converter, assuming it puts out anamorphic widescreen. Others have stated above that current Dish receivers no longer put out anamorphic widescreen on their AV outputs, so those outputs are a non-starter.

I had to review the posts above to figure out what problem we are addressing. The solution I proposed in the post above yours was not to address your aspect ratio issue, but rather my 4K TV's lack of HDMI inputs. So... The adapter you bought (AV to HDMI) is going the wrong direction.

You want an HDMI (or component) to AV composite converter, assuming it puts out anamorphic widescreen. Others have stated above that current Dish receivers no longer put out anamorphic widescreen on their AV outputs, so those outputs are a non-starter.
So you think I should buy a converter with a HDMI input?

So you think I should buy a converter with a HDMI input?
Yes. What receiver do you have? I am using the component outputs of my Hopper 3, since my HDMI output is in use upstairs. Juan suggested a switch with built-in converter, which I haven't seen. You don't need a switch if you can use component outputs.

This should work for HDMI to composite. I haven't found a component to composite converter yet...

Amazon product ASIN B0834MBBPB

Reactions: Jeff Allee
Yes. What receiver do you have? I am using the component outputs of my Hopper 3, since my HDMI output is in use upstairs. Juan suggested a switch with built-in converter, which I haven't seen. You don't need a switch if you can use component outputs.

This should work for HDMI to composite. I haven't found a component to composite converter yet...

I'll give this one a shot. I'm not sure what kind of Hopper I have. Probably the latest model.

Reactions: TheKrell

I just went over to Walmart and bought one with an HDMI Input for 15 dollars and it works! One odd thing was that the audio sounded terrible, so I just didn't hook up the audio cables through the adapter and hooked the audio right in to the DVD recorder and it sounded fine. Thanks to everybody that helped out. This is a great site!

• Love
I'll give this one a shot. I'm not sure what kind of Hopper I have. Probably the latest model.
There are a few ways to determine which model of Hopper you have. Probably the easiest is to look at the upper left corner of the face of the receiver. Hopper 2000 simply says Hopper. A Hopper with Sling simply says that. A Hopper3 says Hopper with Sling 3. Never assume that what you have is the latest.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There are a few ways to determine which model of Hopper you have. Probably the easiest is to look at the upper left corner of the face of the receiver. Hopper 2000 simply says Hopper. A Hopper with Sling simply says that. A Hopper3 says Hopper with Sling 3. Never assume that what you have is the latest.
It just says Hopper on the upper left corner. One odd thing I just noticed when I am recording now is there is a tiny sliver of black on the left side of the screen and slightly larger sliver of black on the right side of the screen. There is also a tiny sliver of black at the top and bottom of the screen. It doesn't add up to very much and it's a huge improvement over what I was getting, but I haven't figured out anyway to get rid of it yet. Adjusting picture size on the TV doesn't really improve it. If I disconnect the adapter and hook it up the way it was before, it goes away. So I am about 96% happy with the adapted right now.

• Sad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts