Just got Dish - Questions

secretpink

Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
boston
I just had dish installed yesterday and I was hoping to ask the installer some questions but he said he was in a hurry - so I've been trying to figure them out myself. I just got rid of Comcast, so any problem I have is trivial compared to me telling comcast that I'm leaving. I was paying $144 per month and my father who lives on the 1st floor was paying $82=$226 per month. Dish let us split an account and we're paying $60 for the next 6 months - so cheap - $30.00 each.

So this is what I had set-up and I am not happy.

1st Floor - My dad's tv - single HD box - fine
2nd Floor - My living room - single HD box fine
2nd floor - Game Room - dual HD DVR
3rd floor - my bedroom - connected to the Game room DVR

My don's room could not get a hook-up because I was told I was only allowed 4 at a time - we can deal with this because he watched tv in the game room.

So, with comcast my son had a dvr which could record 2 shows at once and I had one in my bedroom that could record 2 shows at once. So we could record 4 shows at once, now that has been cut in half and we are basically splitting a DVR and I cannot watch any HD channels in my bedroom which is really bothering me.

So I think I need to purchase another dual tv DVD for my bedroom. I do not half to hook it up to 2 tvs, do I? I just want it on my bedroom tv so I can record 2 shows at once - which happens everyday.

Can I do this without calling dish network to come install?

Also, would this work - if I get the new DVR for my bedroom - my son's game room tv will also have a dual DVR to itself. Could this DVR be hooked up to his bedroom? His bedroom tv is no HD so using this type of SD connection wouldn't be a problem. He could just set it to single mode to use dual DVR in the game room and on the rare occassion he watched tv in his room he could switch to dual mode? If I do this - I may have to call Dish for installation right because he has the jack in his room but dish never went near that jack.

OK - also it turns out the guy never hooked these boxes up to the internet or the phone line. What are the advantages of doing so? I know PPV. Do I have to hook up all receivers somehow or does one do it ok for all receivers.

Next - On Demand. My cable provider had On Demand and I could watch all my shows in addition to PPV movies. It comes in handy when I had a third show to watch at the same time, I wouldn't worry about it and watch it on demand. I can't find it on Dish - maybe that's why I need to connect to the phne or online?

I've looked at sling and I really don't need that service but I saw that they have all the tv shows on demand. When I tried to hunt for more information I can to a standstill. I understand how the guide works and the remoter tv, but what about the programming they offer. Can you watch that on your tv or does that have to be from a computer or something.

Are there any sites that break down and describe what you can do with dish?

Thanks so much.

So this is what I had set-up and I am not happy.

1st Floor - My dad's tv - single HD box - fine
2nd Floor - My living room - single HD box fine
2nd floor - Game Room - dual HD DVR
3rd floor - my bedroom - connected to the Game room DVR

My don's room could not get a hook-up because I was told I was only allowed 4 at a time - we can deal with this because he watched tv in the game room.

Not exactly true. You can only have 4 leased boxes (or tuners-not sure how they count it), but you can buy additional ones.

So I think I need to purchase another dual tv DVD for my bedroom. I do not half to hook it up to 2 tvs, do I? I just want it on my bedroom tv so I can record 2 shows at once - which happens everyday.

Can I do this without calling dish network to come install?

You can certainly just use it on 1 TV, many people do. Dish is sometimes funny about DVR's, they insisted upon sending a tech out to replace a DVR at my house rather that just shipping out a unit.

Also, would this work - if I get the new DVR for my bedroom - my son's game room tv will also have a dual DVR to itself. Could this DVR be hooked up to his bedroom? His bedroom tv is no HD so using this type of SD connection wouldn't be a problem. He could just set it to single mode to use dual DVR in the game room and on the rare occassion he watched tv in his room he could switch to dual mode? If I do this - I may have to call Dish for installation right because he has the jack in his room but dish never went near that jack.

As long as he was only watching one set at a time (or watching the same on both) you should just leave it in single mode. No need to switch to dual when he watched in the other room.

OK - also it turns out the guy never hooked these boxes up to the internet or the phone line. What are the advantages of doing so? I know PPV. Do I have to hook up all receivers somehow or does one do it ok for all receivers.

In order for the multiple receiver fees to be waived they must be hooked up to a phone line or the internet. Also the Dish Online service and remote scheduling will only work with a broadband connection.

Next - On Demand. My cable provider had On Demand and I could watch all my shows in addition to PPV movies. It comes in handy when I had a third show to watch at the same time, I wouldn't worry about it and watch it on demand. I can't find it on Dish - maybe that's why I need to connect to the phne or online?

Dish doesn't offer a true On Demand type service. If you subscribe to Starz there is a Starz On Demand channel that carries like 3 movies. The Dish Online service allows you to select movies, shows, etc (most are PPV) that are then downloaded over your broadband connect to the hard drive on your DVR. After downloaded they are available for a period of time to view.

Well, The 4 room limit can be over looked ,but not unless you have been a good standing customer for I'd say atleast a year. You could buy another receiver and hook it up, But you are at the lease limit.
The most you can lease is:
2 Vip 722 -2 rooms HD DVR, 2 rooms SD DVR. But again the Hard drive and tuners are shared.
4 Vip 211k - 4 rooms HD, But there is an option to hook up external Hard drive and you can record programs Like a DVR, With no DVR Fee.
4 Vip 612 - 4 Rooms HD DVR These are single room DVRs. They can record 1 show and watch another at the same time. Plus Record a 3rd OTA at the same time.
2 Vip 222 - 4 Rooms is also an option But thats Just 2 rooms HD,and 2 rooms SD.

Also the more Receivers, the more Fee's. For every receiver you add after the 1st one is $7 per month.
DVR fees Vary by package , But could be free, Up to $18 as well per month.
After you've been a good customer , You might get Offered a 5 Star upgrade, That will allow you to go over the lease limit, But it also requires a Credit card on file .

Great thanks. I called dish and they wanted 450+ for the prurchse of the dual hd dvr receiver. I'm going to try and find one somewhere else for cheaper.

If I do get another receiver, could I do the install myself?

1. The cable in my bedroom - tv2 on the dual DVR - can I use that cable for the new DVR box and plug it in myself. Or is is connected to TV1 in some way that I couldn't change it easily?

2. My son's bedroom would then have to connect up to the original dual dvr that was in my bedroom. I don't think I could do this myself. I would have to go outside and get the original wire and bring it over to the connection in his room right?

Will Dish come and move the connections for me if I don't purchase the receiver from them.

Also, this lady on CL is selling a VIP622 which would be fine for me for $150. I called her and she said it is brand new in the box and she just received it from dish yesterday. She told me her service was disconnected today. It seems a bit funny to me. If it is a brand new leased received from dish and she was shut-off, is dish going to let me hook it up? I have a feeling no they wouldn't and I would be out $150 bucks. What's your opinion on that?

Thanks.

Dunno how much help this'll be but IMHO you're gonna need an installer to get that 4th box hooked up. I'd try to find a local retailer & see what they'd charge for another HD DVR, they might have a refurb or used one and work out a deal with you for installing it. In regards to that 622 from CL--I'd BET that is a leased unit and you'll never get it activated. I wouldn't touch it. Best of luck!

Ed

IF THE LADY BILL IS PAYED UP IN FULL OWES NO MONEY DISH WILL LET U USE THE 622 ASK THE LADY FOR THE RECIER NOMBER AND CARD NO.. CALL DISH GIVE THEM THE NUMBERS THEY WILL TELL YOU IF IT IS LEASED USED ETC AND IF U CAN USE IT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)