Just got hosed by DISH!!! Sorta...

jmcgee_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Kirkland, WA
ad been debating on getting another HD box to add to my leased 811 and leased 511 and owned 311. So I start reading around on DISH's website and basically all it says about buying a box from someone else is that if there is any charges left on the box your going to be liable for them. So after a bit of pondering I say Ill take the chance. So I pay 150 bucks for a 6000 with the 8QPSK module on it from ebay. So I get the box and I hook it all up and it works perfectly I call up dish and add the box to my account and voila everything is hunky dorey. Till about a week later. My box says its deactivated so I call up dish and they tell me to call this number so I do. The guy tells me that this box is under investigation. Im like umm what? Thats all he would tell me and that this box can only be used on a account that is brand new and has no other boxes assigned to it. I was like you have to be kidding me. Hes all no. He says I should try to get my money back from the seller. I told him I wont have a leg to stand on the box works perfectly and worked fine for 1 week till you guys get a wild hair up your ??? and now it doesnt. Paypal nor ebay will vouch for me. And to boot I dont think I should have to contact the seller. I asked ok so since you wont let me use this box now can you exchange it for another one? They said no. I was like you know this is BS I read you whole damn website and it doesnt say anything about boxes being under "INVESTIGATION" anywhere. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH STUPID DISH. As much as a I hate charter right now cause no HDTV service in my area. At least I dont have to mess with this kinda CRAP!!!!

Yeah I'd definately say that the CSR who said everything was okay is at fault here. Usually, though, if you're going to buy it used you should get all the receiver numbers ahead of time and call them in just to check everything out before you pay for the purchase.

Unfortunately, it seems that you still would've been given the go-ahead from Dish since someone there didn't do the research they needed to on the account.

Or else the seller knew exactly what they are doing and did some "shady" activity right before they sent it to you, knowing it would be a few days before DN would catch on.

YYeah well they did say I should of called them with all the numbers ahead of time but it doesnt say that anywhere on there site at all. And I dont think the seller did something shady maybe something in the past they might of but not right before but I could be wrong. Its so frustrating you know.....sigh.

yea dish can be a Pain about activating receivers you own , but usually its either yes or no , not a let you activated then a week later say " NO" but thats dish for you always throwing a Monkey Wrench in for those of us that Like to Purchase our own equipment say as to not be tied down by COntracts and the Like ( can Cancel at a Moments notice , with out having to worry about sedning leased crap back ) oh Check your PM !

Scott Greczkowski said:
Word of advice is email ceo@dishnetwork.com and explain to them calmly whats going on.

Tell them that you called to see if receiver was free and clear, activated it and THEN paid for the receiver. Therefore you did what you could to see if this receiver had a balance on it, before purchasing it. The fact that something showed up a week later should be Dish's problem, not yours. Good luck.

Welcome to the club along with all new subscribers that are still getting 942's up until Feb. 1. Jim passed me on to the resolution team. I was willing to compromise and split the difference between the 942 lease and 622 lease 299-250=49. Seems fair to me.

Bad business. Maybe I need to start a new thread to rally the horses. According to "Judd" (who I've dealt with before) we're ALL happy with the upgrade plans.

What happened is that the previous owner failed an audit by the Receiver Audit Team so the recever was locked. Locked receivers can only be added as the primary receiver on a new account. The CSR should not even have been able to add to your account.

If they added it once, they should do it again. Play CSR roulette until you get one who will take care of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)