Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Just picked up an HD-A1 this morning from a local Best Buy store. Unpacking it right now! :cool:

Update: The first pictures are attached. I'll post more pictures later today. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• Box1.jpg
    Box1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Box2.jpg
    Box2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Box3.jpg
    Box3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 334
  • HDA1_2.jpg
    HDA1_2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 323
  • HDA1front.jpg
    HDA1front.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 384
  • HDA1back.JPG
    HDA1back.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 400
Looks great. Better than I though it would. Feels really solid and heavy...
Unfortunately our Best Buy store wouldn't sell any HD DVD discs until Tuesday, but even if they did, I don't think we would be allowed to post any review of them until then... :(

teamerickson said:
Picture quality looks better or the unit itself?
The unit itself. :D
Hard to judge the picture quality without any HD discs.
I am watching The Fifth Element (Superbit Edition) right now. Looks great, but it's not HD...

Also bought one this morning, it is sitting in the backseat of my truck till I close up at 6 t-nite, also Best Buy would not sell any software, but I will be back there Tuesday morning to get some.

Posted some pictures in the first post above. Enjoy!

nuts4scuba said:
I see that it has 5.1 channel jacks. Will it play SACD's?

Nope, the 5.1 jacks are for the new sound formats like DD-Plus, DD-True HD, DTS-HD, etc, etc.

There are no pre-pro's or receivers that supports the new formats, but it will still output regular DD, DTS via optical or coaxial.

nuts4scuba said:
I see that it has 5.1 channel jacks. Will it play SACD's?
No, it won't play SACD or DVD-Audio.
However, the 5.1 analog outputs are very important: the player has built-in decoders for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and dts-HD. There are not too many A/V receivers out there that can handle these new audio formats.
(Bruce beat me with his reply ;))

It comes with an HDMI-to-HDMI cable in the box. I am using an HDMI-to-DVI cable right now.

Just tried playing a DVD-R. No problems!
It won't play DVD+R (with MP3 music) though. I also tried a European All-zone PAL DVD - no luck.

I was out running errands and stopped by the local BB. They had two sitting on a bottom shelf, but had no display. The sales rep said they haven't received Toshiba's "official" display yet...the promo won't kick off until them. Anyway, I was the only one looking at them. They were placed in the middle of the sub $100 DVD players and stuck out like a sore thumb (huge box and huge price comparatively speaking). I also noticed BB had a boat load of XBox 360s. I was tempted, but I'm still hoping to kill two birds with one stone (PS3). I don't know if I can hold out 'till fall.

We went to BB today and they had 3 on a skid and one hooked to a TV. 5 BB employees were trying to figure out how to play a movie! The A/V manager told me they could get the instructions to play (?) but they still (after 2 hours) couldn't figure out how to get it to play a movie!

I'm still laughing.

How hard is it to connect to display, plug in to wall, turn on, insert disc, close/press play? I mean, it should be exactly the same as a current DVD players. These guys CAN'T be that stupid? That alone would bump me to 100%, from the 95% I am at now, of NEVER buying from a retail chain outlet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)