Just got my HD DVD player!!!

Digital Dude said:
We went to BB today and they had 3 on a skid and one hooked to a TV. 5 BB employees were trying to figure out how to play a movie! The A/V manager told me they could get the instructions to play (?) but they still (after 2 hours) couldn't figure out how to get it to play a movie!

I'm still laughing.
The only tricky thing with it is that you need to select the output by pressing V.Output button on the remote. It looks like HDMI is not enabled by default...

it kinda looks "retro" to me, like the old VCRs.:) I wonder when/if they'll make it a bit more slim, like some of the current DVD players.

dfergie said:
Have any Dvd DL's to try? I'm getting the bug but have a lot of HD stuff downrezzed and archived to DL's ...
I don't have any DL DVD-Rs to try...

Fgsilva said:
it kinda looks "retro" to me, like the old VCRs.:) I wonder when/if they'll make it a bit more slim, like some of the current DVD players.
Probably the second generation... :D

Most BB stores have HD DVD's already, but they are not supposed to sell them until Tuesday. Some do however...

mwgiii said:
Dumb question, What is the LAN for?
Internet Connection.
From the manual: "Some HD DVD discs enable you to access special HD DVD sites. If an HD DVD site includes content, such as movie trailers, you can watch the content on the player via the Internet if your connection provides sufficient bandwidth."

Just tried component output.
First of all, it doesn't look like component output is enabled at the same time with HDMI: you have to select one of the output types explicitly.
Second, the player refuses to upconvert most of the DVDs over component output and displays a message: "High resolution output is prohibited for this content. Resolution was changed to 480p."
Bad news for those who don't have HDCP-compliant TVs.

According to the manual, the player can only play NTSC discs from Region-1 or All-region. No other regions supported.

Ilya said:
First of all, it doesn't look like component output is enabled at the same time with HDMI: you have to select one of the output types explicitly.
Second, the player refuses to upconvert most of the DVDs over component output and displays a message: "High resolution output is prohibited for this content. Resolution was changed to 480p."

Shooting themselves in the foot.

Checked the firmware version. It's "1.0/1.09/2.00". Which is the latest one, as I understand.

I went out and bought mine also today. The first BB I went to was sold out but I was lucky that the second store had 3 left and they wouldn't sell me any of the HD Movies....

Ilya said:
:down :down

I resisted the temptation and will wait for the delivery from VE. No tax and I'll have some movies to watch. If Best Buy would have sold me movies today I probably would have snatched it up. :)

teamerickson said:
I resisted the temptation and will wait for the delivery from VE. No tax and I'll have some movies to watch. If Best Buy would have sold me movies today I probably would have snatched it up. :)

Thanks for sticking with me!

-Robert

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)