Just got my HD DVD player!!!

Just got my player from VE and hooked up it. I hate the remote. Hate it. It needs to be back lit badly. But the up-covert is stunning!! I ordered Batman Begins, so I don't have an HD-DVD yet. I thought I could wait but I'm off to BB to get TLS.

The player is outstanding.

For me the included remote is pretty much useless as it can't control the A/V receiver.
I've programmed my Harmony instead and it works just fine with the HD-A1.

Ilya said:
For me the included remote is pretty much useless as it can't control the A/V receiver.
I've programmed my Harmony instead and it works just fine with the HD-A1.

Thanks!..That's good to know. Just finished watching TLS and it looked excellent! I still need to do the serious tuning on audio, but it was ok for out of the box.

Ilya, thanks for the tip on the analog 5.1. I have always prefered DTS to DD but I swear I heard much seperation.

While I wait for Batman & Apollo 13, I'm going to go through my SD's and watch them with the upconvert. I'm looking forward to see how my B&W movies..Casablanca...Citizen Kane...ect... look.

Jamey K said:
Ilya, thanks for the tip on the analog 5.1.
Actually I find the analog output less usefull than I thought. I tried Dolby TrueHD (The Phantom of the Opera has a TrueHD option), but the player can only output two channels of TrueHD. And there are no discs with DTS-HD yet. So far I am using digital output for most of the viewing. DTS works great for me, but those who have DD receivers (without DTS capability) will be very dissapointed. This is something that Toshiba might be able to correct with a future firmware update, though.

I love mine!!!!!I have it setup with Sanyo Z3......and have done a direct comparison by HDMI with HDA1 vs. Sony 995 maga changer.....The HDA1 wins hands down......The clarity seems surreal at first....I'm having only one problem with the HDA1...Its with the audio...I have the H/K 525 7.1 receiver with 8 direct analog inputs....OK I hooked all lead rca cables to HDA1 and turned on player and the sound is not controllable....If I turn volume all the way down which is -80 theres nothing...BUT if i turn volume just one notch to 79 ...it goes to about mid volume...and I can not adjust it at all....I can turn volume all the way to Zero and there is no differnce in sound it stays the same...BUT sounds GREAT.....what am I doing wrong??P.S...at this same time I have the digital connection also hooked up....and I can toggle to Optical or 6&8 channel and the volume is still hung...no way to adjuct volume...but if I disconnect the direct inputs rca cables ...Im able to control volume fine!!Is this my Receiver..or is it a default with the HDDVD disc I have (The Last Samurai)?If its the reciver then I'll upgrade as soon a the HDMI 1.3 receivers are availible.....The DTS thru optical will do just fine until then!!!Let me know if there is something Im doing wrong with the analog direct inputs....maybe I have to turn on/off something?One more thing if I insert a regular DVD it has the same problem ...UNTIL I UNHOOK direct analog inputs!

Don't those HD-DVD direct outs already decode the DD or DTS? If so, you don't run them into a DD/DTS decoding head unit. You ONLY run the optical or digital coax direct to the head unit and allow it to do all the decoding and amplification.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Don't those HD-DVD direct outs already decode the DD or DTS? If so, you don't run them into a DD/DTS decoding head unit. You ONLY run the optical or digital coax direct to the head unit and allow it to do all the decoding and amplification.
????????:confused: ??????????I Have the HDA1 direct outputs ran into the H/K receiver direct inputs...is this wrong?

What model is that H/K so I can look at the jack panel and provide specifics. EDIT: I SEE IT ABOVE.

If the H/K has its own DD/DTS decoding, and I am betting it does, you really only want to run the DVD player's optical or digital coax into the H/K and allow it to handle the decoding and amplification process; it will provide the best performance and quality; IMHO.

Pg 27 of the owners manual explains, how and when to use those connections and may need to be configured (if you have not) as seen starting on PG19; kind of the digital input mapping that most receivers have these days; but surely both should not be connected from the DVD at the same time.

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner's Manual/AVR 525 OM (REV 9-4-02) FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
I am going to unhook the digital/optical cable...and see if this helps!!!!I'll let you know in a few mins.

(quote)If the H/K has its own DD/DTS decoding, and I am betting it does, you really only want to run the DVD player's optical or digital coax into the H/K and allow it to handle the decoding and amplification process; it will provide the best performance and quality; IMHO.(quote).............................................................. But I was under the assumption that in order to getDTS lossless and TrueDD HD ..that I was to hook up thru the analog outputs ,because the optical doesn't pass the full/band of audio...Isnt this correct?

Hey could my hooking both digital & analog together have tripped something inside the H/Kreceiver..the manual mentions about something faulting the circuitry boards and may have to reset it to factory conditions to correct problem.....I will try this only as my last option!

quickfire, something must be wrong with your receiver (or your player).
I have H/K AVR-230 and direct analog input from HD-A1 works fine.
The volume level is about the same as on the digital connection and it is controlled as usual.
On TLS (The Last Samurai) disc the sound level is very low. I have to turn volume up to around -10db.
On Serenity HD DVD the volume is normal, however.

Ok......I disconnected the optical cable & IT made no difference.....BUT...I think I have solved the problem...I never turned off the H/K receiver off when I first unplugged the optical cable.....I was just about to disconnect the analog cables and settle for optical for now and out of frustration decide to turn off the H/K &&&&&&&&& the HDA1....while the optical was still unplugged.....( I just had a feeling that this would somehow would fix things)Well I'm here reporting that I can now adjust volume with the analog feeds!!!i'm not sure how this fixed the problem.....It has me truelly dumbfounded:(.....But I can attest that the analog feed ....is somewhat better than an optical feed...it Truly feels as if your in the scene of the movie.....I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING AS IMMERSIVE IN MY LIFE!I was never into the audio part of my theater system...it sounded good.....but this is leaps and bounds above any normal DD & DTS sound track. I cannot imagine having the new 1.3 HDMI receivers that will decode DDTRUE HD in 7.1......Im starting to drool just thinking about it!!! thanks quickfire

I had just hooked up the 5.1 analog and it was terrific on TLS. I wanted to watch one of my SD's for the upcovert and there was no audio from 5.1.

I gather the 5.1 is just for the HD disks? I pluged in an optical cable and I have all the audio, including the HD TLS. I still think the 5.1 option sounded better on HD than the optical.

Is anyone else thinking the same?

teamerickson said:
Did harmony's website have the HD-A1 or did you have to program putting the remotes nose to nose?
Yes, the HD-A1 was right there in the list! :up
I customized some of the buttons (e.g. mapped Info button to function as "Display", etc.) but didn't have to re-learn anything.

BB has the Harmony 880 on sale for $199.00. I used a gift certificate and got one pretty cheap. It's quietly charging now.

Ilya said:
Yes, the HD-A1 was right there in the list! :up
I customized some of the buttons (e.g. mapped Info button to function as "Display", etc.) but didn't have to re-learn anything.

I got my 688 configured no sweat. Makes the unit a bit more managable. Highly recommend a Logitech Harmony of any sort and tossing whatever remotes you have. You wont look back.

Alright, I finally recieved my HD-A1 (living on the left coast can suck somtimes) and I'm really impressed.

First, it's not that slow! Yes it's slower then most AV products but not a slow as some others had led to believe. All good things to those who wait!

Second, the upconverting is awesome. Holly crap!! Regular movies look HD quality.

The FBI warning on a HD DVD looks sweet. Universal's world intro looks amazing. The clarity is really good. This is fun.

I've only had it a few hours so I'm sure I have much to learn. Sound does vary on HD-DVDs. Phantom seemed low compaired to Serentity.
Harmony 688 remotes are the best!

I ordered the new Toshiba HD DVD last week from Value Electronics.I called this morning and the next batch will go out this Friday,if not Monday.I'm really looking forward to seeing my SD DVD's up converted.Will post again when it has arrived.I'm well aware this may not be ready for prime time yet.But I'm willing to take a chance on it.

Nitehawk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)