Just got my HD DVD player!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
vurbano said:
Does anyone know what bitrate these movies are playing at? What file sizes?
Last Samurai has variable bit rate averaging 18 Mbps (24 Mbps max)
Phantom of the Opera has VBR 15 Mbps average (21 Mbps max)
Both are 1080p encoded with VC-1. (Note that VC-1 offers more efficient compression than MPEG-2)

I just got my new Toshiba.I have hooked it up and played an SD DVD.The up conversion is awesome.Much better than I had expected.Value Electronics was pretty quick in getting it out to me.They used 2nd day shipping.Im very impressed with their great customer service.I also got "The Last Samurai" and will be getting another one shortly.The picture quality for HD DVD was perfect.Only one problem the sound going through the optical is a bit weak.I need to trouble shoot that some more.I'm glad I didn't wait for the blu ray.It will be interesting to see which format wins out.My money is on HD DVD...

Nitehawk

still going to wait <<RANT

Nitehawk said:
I just got my new Toshiba.I have hooked it up and played an SD DVD.The up conversion is awesome.Much better than I had expected.Value Electronics was pretty quick in getting it out to me.They used 2nd day shipping.Im very impressed with their great customer service.I also got "The Last Samurai" and will be getting another one shortly.The picture quality for HD DVD was perfect.Only one problem the sound going through the optical is a bit weak.I need to trouble shoot that some more.I'm glad I didn't wait for the blu ray.It will be interesting to see which format wins out.My money is on HD DVD...

Nitehawk

from what I am reading there are a few issues with the new Toshibas. (they are actually selling the base model at over $650 + fgt on Ebay!!!

I still believe that which ever one Blockbuster goes with will be the winner unless there are dual format disks and players.

I still refuse to even consider buying anything with that *&^%%$ down conversion flag if you do not use HDMI. (NOT TO MENTION THE "NEW" hdmi" STANDARD COMING OUT! My Plasma has 1 hdmi input and my LCD Proj tv has 2. They are both 2006 models too!

Does not leave too much room for other devices does it. Luckily my HDD200 HD box has component outputs.

These manufacturers have never learned that no matter how much they spend on anti piracy...those guys always find ways.

And what about legimate backups for disks you purchase, for those of us with kids and dogs, that love to destroy the originals! (congressional fair use act) Personally I an sick and tired of the big corporations trying to dictate this stuff.

I still remember when cd's came out and they promissed that prices on the recordings would come down when more production capacity became available. <bull> THE PRICING ACTUALLY ENCOURAGES PIRACY! I also remember when DVD burners came out and a blank media cost $12 each! If HD media cost $15 (+ cost of a burner when they come out) and the movie cost $20...which would you buy? (obvious)

besides, my Pioneer Elite dv59i DVD (about $1000 LAST YEAR IS SIMPLY OUTRAGEOUS.

The unfortunate thing is that the public will wind up suffering!

Last edited:
Nitehawk said:
I also got "The Last Samurai" and will be getting another one shortly.The picture quality for HD DVD was perfect.Only one problem the sound going through the optical is a bit weak.I need to trouble shoot that some more.
This appears to be a problem with the first titles from Warner. Sound level on HD DVD's from Universal studios is normal.

Ilya said:
Note that VC-1 offers more efficient compression than MPEG-2

Thats another way to say it uses More compression than mpeg2. LOL. VC-1 is essentially the same thing as WMV9 which is crap from what Ive seen. Its ashame they dont use Mpeg2 on some sort of dual layer HD DVD. Bitrates look good for 720p or 1080i, but then again we are talking 1080p which probably requires a really high bitrate.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Thats another way to say it uses More compression than mpeg2. LOL.
No. That's another way of saying that at the same bitrate VC-1 results in a much better PQ, than MPEG-2. ;)

vurbano said:
VC-1 is essentially the same thing as WMV9 which is crap from what Ive seen.
Have you seen WMV9 at 18Mbps? Where???

Ilya said:

I saw it on that T-2 disc that came in HD ( could only play on the computer ) and thought it looked f'ing great and I believe it was only around 8-9 Mbps.

Ok I made the plunge :D.... I went to best buy yeasterday and saw Apollo 13 in hd dvd and I fell in love with it.. After 2 hours of convising the wife. I placed my Order with robert. I got the Toshiba hd-xa1 with 4 movies.. It was shipped out today!!! :) Should be here on tuesday :) just in time for me not to play as the school week really starts. :)

bruce said:
I saw it on that T-2 disc that came in HD ( could only play on the computer ) and thought it looked f'ing great and I believe it was only around 8-9 Mbps.
What size was the screen?

Ilya said:
No. That's another way of saying that at the same bitrate VC-1 results in a much better PQ, than MPEG-2. ;)

Apples and oranges. The VC-1 material is 1080p and 99% of everything anyone has seen under mpeg2 is 1080i or 720p. For 1080p VC-1 would probably look better at the same bitrate. Mpeg2 couldnt handle all of the picure information at 18 mbps. But why restrict the mpeg2 bitrate? My guess is, given sufficient bitrate on a Blu ray disk, Mpeg2 will beat VC-1 due to fact that less compression is used.

As for your second question, no but the majority cant view 1080p anyway on their 1080i sets. :rolleyes:

Rental via Netflix is now available

teamerickson said:
Did they have any movies?

As a Netflix member I wondered about this. They show about 6 to 8 titles available now. Fugitive, Phantom of the Opera, Training Day, The Shawshank Redemption: Special Edition, GoodFellas: Special Edition (1990), Cinderella Man,
The Matrix, Apollo 13, Blazing Saddles: Special Edition (1974), Full Metal Jacket, and Million Dollar Baby. Also they have Doom and as of Tuesday Rumer Has It.

I found all were available now if I wanted them.

It would be a better choice if it were only a univeral standard as Blue Ray will be alos on Netflix.

If anyone has one, I was curious about picture quality vs. Dish HD. Everything I have read is DVD vs DVDHD. If sound and picture not improved is it worth it locking in at one format. Dual format from Samsung due this year but I bet at twice the cost.

Also those new HD sound formats can they be used via AV receivers out now?:hungry:

vurbano said:
Thats another way to say it uses More compression than mpeg2.

...while maintaining muchg better quality, yes.

LOL. VC-1 is essentially the same thing as WMV9 which is crap from what Ive seen.

Crap? You must have eye problems - a correctly encoded (and at half the bitrate of that MPEG2) - WM9 looks better than MPEG2.

Its ashame they dont use Mpeg2 on some sort of dual layer HD DVD. Bitrates look good for 720p or 1080i, but then again we are talking 1080p which probably requires a really high bitrate.

Thanks God they don't use that outdated old MPEG2 - the only reason Blu-Ray needed bigger capacity because they knew they'll use the old MPEG2.
It's pathetic when Blu-Ray stays with MEPG2 only to avoid the royalty fees of VC-1, developed by MS. :D

bruce said:

Correct. Usual WM9 movies around 7-10Mbit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)