Just installed new Shaw system... zero signal. What next?

aliensporez

Original poster
May 11, 2012
United States
Hi all (or since I'm in Texas, I should say "Hi y'all")

Anyways, Canadian living in Houston. Had Bell for years. That went away, so now just brought back a Shaw system from Canada to hook up. Have the dish up, and pointed correctly (206 Magnetic, 51.5 Elevation, 104 Skew), have brand new coax that I've verified has continuity, but I am getting absolutely zero signal. Zip, Zilch, Nada.

First, about the system. I have the Shaw 605HD receiver. For the purpose of setting up the system, I'm cabling directly from the LNB to the receiver (no switches or grounding). I've used different cables to ensure it's not the cable that's causing the problem, all with no affect.

Sooooo, could it be my LNB? What would be the indicators of a bad LNB?

Hi all (or since I'm in Texas, I should say "Hi y'all")

Anyways, Canadian living in Houston. Had Bell for years. That went away, so now just brought back a Shaw system from Canada to hook up. Have the dish up, and pointed correctly (206 Magnetic, 51.5 Elevation, 104 Skew), have brand new coax that I've verified has continuity, but I am getting absolutely zero signal. Zip, Zilch, Nada.

First, about the system. I have the Shaw 605HD receiver. For the purpose of setting up the system, I'm cabling directly from the LNB to the receiver (no switches or grounding). I've used different cables to ensure it's not the cable that's causing the problem, all with no affect.

Sooooo, could it be my LNB? What would be the indicators of a bad LNB?

When I sat up a Shaw system, I remember that only one sat would show signal until the receiver had been authorized. Also I had to play with it to get the signal because the settings were a little off from what was calculated.

The signs of a bad LNB would be that it would not get warm...something that is hard ti check in summer. I guess you could bring it inside to see...other than swapping it for another or having a professional sat meter, it's hard to find out if the LNB is bad or not

Shaw's not like DBS - the signal is much weaker, and being just a tiny bit off on aim will put you from locked in to zero. That said, which dish do you have? Where did you get your aim settings? And what screen are you using to check signal strength?

Also FYI, even before you're authorized, you can get a few channels - BC Legislature springs to mind as one. Channel 290. You can use that to verify you've really got signal once you're aimed and have level.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for the reply[/FONT]

The dish is pointed according to dishpointer.com Below are the settings I used.

Dish Setup Data
Name: 111.1W ANIK F2 | WILDBLUE-1
Elevation: 51.5°
Azimuth (true): 209.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 206.2°
LNB Skew [?]: 25.3°

Note, I haven't dialed in the skew yet, was waiting until I locked on the bird.

Now, about my set-up.

Shaw 605HD tuner with elliptical 60cm dish and LNB. For my initial set up I have my coax directly wired into my receiver (once I had the bird locked and dialed in then I'd install the grounding block, etc.).

One other question: On the "Satellite Tuning" screen there's a square beside the signal strength meter is green. When I unplug my LNB it turns red, when I plug it in, it turns green. I presume indicates a positive connection between the receiver and the LNB?? Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks!

Just brought the LNB inside to see if it gets warm, and I noticed on the inside of the translucent cover what appears to be a small scrap of paper wedged in there (see the picture).

LNB.jpg

Now, also, how long will it take to warm up, and how warm will it get? I've had it plugged into my receiver using a short piece of coax and as far as I can tell it's still ambient temperature. Is it supposed to get noticeably warm (almost hot)?

Last edited:
I found the settings from the "multi-LNB" section of dishpointer for 107/111 gave me better starting points for tweaking my dish - it's worth a shot.

Does "I haven't dialed in the skew yet" mean it's near the given setting at all or way off? Shaw used linear polarization, so skew is not just for picking up both birds; you need it dialled in correctly to even get just one.

Also, it's a little late, but in Texas I def would have gone with a 75 cm dish.

I found the settings from the "multi-LNB" section of dishpointer for 107/111 gave me better starting points for tweaking my dish - it's worth a shot.

Does "I haven't dialed in the skew yet" mean it's near the given setting at all or way off? Shaw used linear polarization, so skew is not just for picking up both birds; you need it dialled in correctly to even get just one.

Also, it's a little late, but in Texas I def would have gone with a 75 cm dish.

Dude, I f**king LOVE you. It works!!!

I used your suggestion of the multi-LNB on dishpointer, then reassembled my dish to make sure everything was tight and plumb. Entered the settings exactly, wired it up, and BOOM, 84% signal strength on the first try!!

I never would have figured it out without your help. Thanks a million!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)