Just made switch from DISH to D*.......here is the deal I got

Status
Please reply by conversation.

livinglighthouse@yahoo.co

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Free HD Receiver and $99 for separate DVR. I am also going to buy a 2nd DVR for the 3rd tv at Costco for $79 per D* recommendation. You can only order 2 premium receivers at first installation. So initial outlay is $106 and then additional $79 at Costco. I decided to wait on the HD-DVR since I own a separate DVR for now and they said once you are a customer, after 6 months they will offer you deals on equipment upgrades and then you can spread the cost over several months in your monthly bill.

Free Installation

195 channels, HD, Sports package, Protection Plan-replacement equip/service calls, Access Magazine for 3 months, rest of NASCAR season free HotPass, 2 DVR's, 3 months Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, Free portable DVD player. I also will get Los Angeles HD affiliate channels......I'm not in a HD locals area. But I'm happy with LA channels for my network shows.

$62 for first 10 months, then $72 for 2 months, $82 after that
(The $62 is a $10/month credit that is based on your credit score, not everyone qualifies she told me........but the $72 is for everyone.

24 month committment

Overall, I feel like it was a good deal, and better than I could get online.......this was with an actual rep on the phone.

Of course Dish tried to dissuade me with the "only 9 HD channels" on D*.........but honestly, with HD network I am more than happy........the rest is gravy for me.

D* mentioned DISH can't get LA/NY HD network feeds to folks because they didn't follow the rules.........anyone know what she was talking about and if its true? I know I haven't been able to get any HD affiliates through DISH at all........and I call every 3 months or so to check.

Anyway, just wanted to share the deal I got today for anyone who is looking to change. DISH offered me $10 off of HD programming but would still have brought my bill to $90 without the 2nd DVR and it would be the same $$ for the upgrade to HD equipment (but I could only upgrade one receiver, so I still couldn't have gotten what I wanted.......1 HD receiver and 2 DVR's)

Not badmouthing or recommending one or the other......just saying what worked for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free HD Receiver and $99 for separate DVR. I am also going to buy a 2nd DVR for the 3rd tv at Costco for $79 per D* recommendation. You can only order 2 premium receivers at first installation. So initial outlay is $106 and then additional $79 at Costco. I decided to wait on the HD-DVR since I own a separate DVR for now and they said once you are a customer, after 6 months they will offer you deals on equipment upgrades and then you can spread the cost over several months in your monthly bill.

What did you ask for when you called in? Anything special??

well

Well, that was my first post to this site.

1. Apologize for the purpleness.......I didn't do anything to make it that way.

2. Sorry I was tickled with the "standard new customer deal" to me it seemed like a good deal and better than what I saw online.

3. I guess I can see why some people never post when they get responses like this

I know I'm sorry I posted.........

Please livinglighthouse dont feel that way and keep posting. The key comes down to you being happy and you are definately very welcome here. I think it was a good deal. Any time you can get HD and a DVR for 100 bucks is good. A lot of folks here have been with Directv for a while and they are dealing with HR20 HD DVR deals right now. I recommend trying to get another unit through Directv and see what you can get.

livinglighthouse,
Please don't look at it that way, I doubt it was meant the way you took it.

We are always looking for new and fresh ideas and yours are needed as much as anyone elses.
You package you got IS a good deal, some just think it's easy to do better, well thats not always as easy as people make it seem.

:welcome to the site, look around stay awhile and enjoy !!!

If you need help, most of us out here will be happy to help you.

Jimbo

Last edited:

Free Installation

195 channels, HD, Sports package, Protection Plan-replacement equip/service calls, Access Magazine for 3 months, rest of NASCAR season free HotPass, 2 DVR's, 3 months Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, Free portable DVD player. I also will get Los Angeles HD affiliate channels......I'm not in a HD locals area. But I'm happy with LA channels for my network shows.

$62 for first 10 months, then $72 for 2 months, $82 after that
(The $62 is a $10/month credit that is based on your credit score, not everyone qualifies she told me........but the $72 is for everyone.

24 month committment

Overall, I feel like it was a good deal, and better than I could get online.......this was with an actual rep on the phone.

Of course Dish tried to dissuade me with the "only 9 HD channels" on D*.........but honestly, with HD network I am more than happy........the rest is gravy for me.

D* mentioned DISH can't get LA/NY HD network feeds to folks because they didn't follow the rules.........anyone know what she was talking about and if its true? I know I haven't been able to get any HD affiliates through DISH at all........and I call every 3 months or so to check.

Anyway, just wanted to share the deal I got today for anyone who is looking to change. DISH offered me $10 off of HD programming but would still have brought my bill to $90 without the 2nd DVR and it would be the same $$ for the upgrade to HD equipment (but I could only upgrade one receiver, so I still couldn't have gotten what I wanted.......1 HD receiver and 2 DVR's)

Not badmouthing or recommending one or the other......just saying what worked for us.

free installation doesn't include the Dvr you bought from the store.

I'll go out on a limb here and answer the comment about installation for the DVR from Costco. Actually I do get free installation for that DVR as well.......at least that is what I signed up for and what she told me on the phone.

Oh, and by the way I'm a SHE not a HE..........

Thank you to those with the warm welcome, I appreciate it. I've been lurking on this site for almost 6 months while I waited to make a choice and I've really appreciated all the great info people share here to help those of us trying to make informed choices.

You may only be able to hook up two receivers with the equipment D* gives you. That means for that 3rd receiver you will need to buy a switch, plus as previously noted they probably won't install that 3rd receiver for you.

As far as feeds from east and west coast. It is illegal for D* to offer those to you. You are only legally allowed to have the DMA you live in.

Not bad mouthing the other side either but enjoy your two years, you'll wish you had Dish. :)

What is "DMA" and they didn't offer the HD channels to me, I asked.

What I"m having installed on Friday is
1 HD Receiver H20
1 DVR Receiver
1 Standard Receiver

They told me once those are installed, go buy a 2nd DVR to replace the standard receiver, call them and they will install it for free. That's what I was told......I guess we'll see.

Has anyone had problems with them not following through with what they tell you when you sign up?

What is "DMA" and they didn't offer the HD channels to me, I asked.

What I"m having installed on Friday is
1 HD Receiver H20
1 DVR Receiver
1 Standard Receiver

They told me once those are installed, go buy a 2nd DVR to replace the standard receiver, call them and they will install it for free. That's what I was told......I guess we'll see.

Has anyone had problems with them not following through with what they tell you when you sign up?

DMA I think stands for Designated Market Area, (your local) if D* has it available, you can get them thru D*.

Before they come out to do the install, call D* back and have them look at your set up and see if they will get you set up with a multiswitch, it has to be the WB 68 or WB616. If they will do this for free, take it, tell them with then DVR's and reg. rec's your using you think you may be needing one.
IF you try to do it after words it will cost you, they run from $ 70-100, so if they will give you one ... take it.

Jimbo

livinglighthouse,
Are you in the LA market ?
IF so thats why they mentioned LA/NY, those are the National Feeds for those not able to get locals, if the right circumstances are met.

You are allowed one or the other, not both and thats only if you can verify that you cannot get anything OTA.

Chances are your in a market, most are, if it's LA then you get the same as any of the West feeds go to., but you don't have to apply to get them.

As for your otherreciever your talking about, if your just swapping them out, you don't need D* to install it, it's just a case of disconnecting and reconnecting the new.

Make D* run 2 lines to any area you will have a DVR, now or later, this way you can haveit all done ahead of the time you decide to swap out and won't have to have them come back out to run more.
You want 2 lines for each DVR so you can record more than one thing or watch something other than your recording.

Jimbo

I live 2 hours north of Sacramento in the mountains, so my OTA sucks big time.......I get "maybe" one or two channels a night and nothing after 8pm. Lots of trees.

I'll look into the switch when I call back tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up
Rachel

I'm a little confused.. A free Hd Receiver and $99 for a DVR. That is the same deal that everyone gets.. Did I miss something?

Just to give you a bit of a comparison... I signed up for DTV last August. I asked for the HR10 but that was shot down. I got them to give me the R15 and H20 for free, the free premier package for 4 months with Sunday Ticket, free Superfan, credits to my account for the pole mount and wallfish charges, and 2 months later was able to swap out the H20 for a HR20 at ~$200 over 3 months.

I called, didn't ask specifically for Retention, but I did get multiswith added for free. They didn't budge on the HD-DVR price of $199 or the $99 for the 2nd DVR though. I did arrange for 2 lines installed for each of my 3 receivers though.

I'll keep trying.......

I called, didn't ask specifically for Retention, but I did get multiswith added for free. They didn't budge on the HD-DVR price of $199 or the $99 for the 2nd DVR though. I did arrange for 2 lines installed for each of my 3 receivers though.

I'll keep trying.......

I think you have done real good.
$ 199 is a good price for the HR20, your also getting the $100 switch for free.
It was good that you got ahold of them ... Don't push you luck....
The 2nd line to the locations will help you in the future.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts