Just ordered my Hughes HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rustolemite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Pineville, LA
Just ordered my Hughes HR10-250, Im already using a Hughes HD recevier and have never used a Tivo before so I wanted to know what to expect from this new receiver. Will there be any delay in changing channels or will it operate the same as my stand alone HD and will the quality of the picture change at all? ... I previously had a Dish 721 receiver and the harddrive made alot of noise.. also when I tried to fast forward or rewind a recorded show some times it hung up the whole machine .... so just wanted your experiences on this recevier... I know D is going to their own DVR in the future but from what I have read it will be awhile yet.

Thanks

Rusty

Guide slower than a normal DVR? I changed to the TiVo Live Guide or whatever its called, i prefer that style over the TV Guide looking style, and there's no lag in loading it or anything.

I've had my HTL-HD for about a month now, and thought about giving feedback myself, but dgordo covered it: great unit, love it, slow menu and that's my only complaint. However, I noticed that this is your first Tivo; mine is also my first, and is in fact my first PVR, so let me expound on that.

First of all, believe the hype-- Tivo WILL change the way you watch TV, and if you watch a good deal of TV as I do, it can change your lifestyle. I never watch anything live anymore because when I watch it delayed I can skip commercials. And besides the basic pleasure of avoiding commercials, you might be amazed, as I was, at how quickly you can watch a show with the breaks cut out. I mean, logically I knew that a prime time hour long show clocked in at 42 minutes when the commercials were removed, but actually sitting down to watch an evening's shows and getting those 18 minutes back, well, it's an experience.

I'm also enjoying the ability to watch shows that I otherwise wouldn't have given a chance because they were scheduled against some other show that I already watched regularly. And when digital recordings are so easy to schedule, watch, and delete, without eating up video tapes or some other limited-lifespan medium, you will find yourself recording a lot more stuff and giving more shows a chance. In case this post makes me sound like a mass-media pop culture addicted couch potato, you might be interested to know that the primary expansion in my viewing is for educational programming on PBS, Discovery, et al. Before the Tivo and its two tuners, I would have missed these one-time event programs, like the recent Nova Mars rovers special, because I had something else to watch.

So yeah, PVR in general is great, Tivo is pretty awesome, and HD Tivo is just fantastic. I still, after a month, marvel at the ability to record shows, especially HD shows, in PERFECT digital copies, even recording two at a time while watching a third show I recorded earlier.

The HD Tivo gets high marks from me; now I just have to hope that, if I am forced to move to a different PVR brand when MPEG4 becomes the standard, the replacement has the same quality that Tivo brings to digital recording (yes, as I said, I haven't tried other brands, but the critical feedback, both professional and amateur, always gives Tivo better marks than other PVRs).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts