Just purchased a house with this old C and dish.

saboken

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
Dunmor KY
Looking for help with this old C Band dish on property in KY, the LNB looks newer than the dish itself, I don't know anything about it I do know the previous owner lived there for 20 years and didn't use it, I want to use it to it's full potential, any suggestions on how to get it going? I don't have any photos of the positioning motors on the other side one had a brace on it probably because it's broken, there supposed to be 2 boxes for it in the house I have yet to find, what reciver should I get, how do I fix and control the positioning if the boxes are not found? Also does the LNA look good? How do I test it? Sorry for all the questions I'm clueless about it. I can post more photos when we actually move it around Jan 1 2022. Thanks for any help
PXL_20211211_134736224.MP~2.jpg

Reactions: iBoston and FTA4PA
Looking for help with this old C Band dish on property in KY, the LNB looks newer than the dish itself, I don't know anything about it I do know the previous owner lived there for 20 years and didn't use it, I want to use it to it's full potential, any suggestions on how to get it going? I don't have any photos of the positioning motors on the other side one had a brace on it probably because it's broken, there supposed to be 2 boxes for it in the house I have yet to find, what reciver should I get, how do I fix and control the positioning if the boxes are not found? Also does the LNA look good? How do I test it? Sorry for all the questions I'm clueless about it. I can post more photos when we actually move it around Jan 1 2022. Thanks for any help
View attachment 155073
Welcome to Satellite Guys saboken! Nice to have you aboard! I would recommend one of these receivers. They are sold by members here who will provide you with great support after the sale.

Great solid basic receiver: Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver DVB-S2 H.265 HEVC With NTP 5999883023525 | eBay

Great solid basic receiver with 4K support: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X FTA Receiver DVB-S2X H.265 HEVC With NTP 4K Ultra HD | eBay

Edision OS Mio+ 4K. All the bells and whistles, dual-tuner, 4K support (I own this one): Titanium Satellite - Store

Really no way to test the LNA/LNB without hooking it up to a working receiver. You can test the actuator (motor) with a 12V car battery and you may be able to move the dish manually with one of the boxes in the house. :)

EDIT: I see the Amiko Mini 4K is sold out for now. :(

That's a REAL OLD one. It's likely fiberglass, and very heavy. Since it's on the property already, you can probably use it. I wouldn't advise that for anybody that had to go remove it somewhere else, to transplant it on their lot.

Ok, so likely NOTHING on it now is usable. You'll have to replace the (likely) LNA with a newer LNBF, replace the old actuator (that's likely a potentiometer type) with a reed switch model, AND new wiring to the house, along with a new fta receiver and positioner.

LNBF: $50- $75
Actuator motor to move it: $250 (more if it's a 36" model)
Receiver: All levels, but figure minimum $100~
Positioner box to drive the actuator motor: $104 (Rick's Satellite site)
Coax and wiring: (depends on length, BUT, figure at least another $100 - $150 minimum, and likely more)
Black coiled pipe from dish to your house so you can safely bury to coax and wiring: $50/100ft
BIG bottle of CLR to clean it: $6

Rehab work, possible new hardware, and such, reaiming, etc. MANY hours of studying and asking questions.

End results: Satisfaction and knowing you just learned how to do things almost NOBODY out there can do anymore.

That's a REAL OLD one. It's likely fiberglass, and very heavy. Since it's on the property already, you can probably use it. I wouldn't advise that for anybody that had to go remove it somewhere else, to transplant it on their lot.

Ok, so likely NOTHING on it now is usable. You'll have to replace the (likely) LNA with a newer LNBF, replace the old actuator (that's likely a potentiometer type) with a reed switch model, AND new wiring to the house, along with a new fta receiver and positioner.

LNBF: $50- $75
Actuator motor to move it: $250 (more if it's a 36" model)
Receiver: All levels, but figure minimum $100~
Positioner box to drive the actuator motor: $104 (Rick's Satellite site)
Coax and wiring: (depends on length, BUT, figure at least another $100 - $150 minimum, and likely more)
Black coiled pipe from dish to your house so you can safely bury to coax and wiring: $50/100ft
BIG bottle of CLR to clean it: $6

Rehab work, possible new hardware, and such, reaiming, etc. MANY hours of studying and asking questions.

End results: Satisfaction and knowing you just learned how to do things almost NOBODY out there can do anymore.
Thanks my next question was how to clean it? But you answered it. Will I have to paint it if it's chipped? I know it's been there a long time not far from where the tornado hit in Kentucky I saw what it did only a. Few miles away from where the dish is mounted, I did notice it's set in a very large concrete slab guess that's why it's still there. But again thanks for the advice it will save me a fortune over paying for cable or DirecTV.

Thanks my next question was how to clean it? But you answered it. Will I have to paint it if it's chipped? I know it's been there a long time not far from where the tornado hit in Kentucky I saw what it did only a. Few miles away from where the dish is mounted, I did notice it's set in a very large concrete slab guess that's why it's still there. But again thanks for the advice it will save me a fortune over paying for cable or DirecTV.
You don't need to paint it, though IF you do, use a flat non-glossy paint, such as a dull gray, or cream. IF you use the CLR, make sure you have good thick chemical proof gloves on, and perhaps a respirator.

Those prices I quoted are for brand new equipment. If you can scrounge some, or get donations, it would of course be cheaper. IF I was YOU, and didn't know as much as I do about these, I'd be inclined to take a LOT of photos of it, post them HERE, and ask more questions about IF we think it's restorable.

The very FIRST thing I'd do, is make dead SURE the mounting pole is absolutely level, North-South and East-West. IF it isn't, you need to fix that before you do anything else. IF you can't, it'll never be right, and any money will be down the rat-hole.

Reactions: saboken
You don't need to paint it, though IF you do, use a flat non-glossy paint, such as a dull gray, or cream. IF you use the CLR, make sure you have good thick chemical proof gloves on, and perhaps a respirator.

Those prices I quoted are for brand new equipment. If you can scrounge some, or get donations, it would of course be cheaper. IF I was YOU, and didn't know as much as I do about these, I'd be inclined to take a LOT of photos of it, post them HERE, and ask more questions about IF we think it's restorable.

The very FIRST thing I'd do, is make dead SURE the mounting pole is absolutely level, North-South and East-West. IF it isn't, you need to fix that before you do anything else. IF you can't, it'll never be right, and any money will be down the rat-hole.
Thanks again .

Maybe measure the diameter of the dish, and do a string test. (put "string test" in the search at the top of the page).
If you can remove the feed horn cover take a picture of the feed horn assembly. It's likely going to be replaced, but a picture might determine if a newer scaler/feed horn mount will work.
A picture from the back too would help in determining the type of mount and what actuator you might require; 24" or 36". There might be adjustments on the mount for compensating for a non-vertical pole.
Glad you were missed by the worst of the storms, having experienced tornadoes up here the damage those storms caused in your area look unreal crazy... difficult to describe.

The way I read the OP... it will have to have to be relocated. Whether on the same property or elsewhere seems unclear.

Personally, I would search around for a good mesh or perf dish instead. Man handling that beast will be a chore. (But that's just me)

Best of luck either way... and Welcome to Satellite Guys, Sabokan!

:crowdbounce

The way I read the OP... it will have to have to be relocated. Whether on the same property or elsewhere seems unclear.

I believe you are right about it needing relocated. On first read of the OP's post I thought it said 'when we move in' but it does say 'when we move it'.

Moving a large old fiberglass dish will be a job. Still, dishes are getting harder and harder to come buy these days so if the OP has the will and the way then more power to them. :):thumbup

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts