Just received software update S116!

Don't know if it means anything in the long run, but since the update, my sling works much better.

For the first time in months, I was able to use the Android and iPad apps to sling video to my in-laws house up in Minneapolis over this past weekend. It was still clunky as trick play was kinda spotty and it took it a couple times to actually start my recorded program instead of just showing me live TV. But I at least wasn't thrown a connection error and it didn't shut me out like it had been since October.

Hi Gary,

It's a Samsung TV (maybe 2 years old, model is escaping me at the moment but was the top of the line LCD model at the time.) The power is plugged into a monster home theater power center which has AC filtering. I do however now that you mention it and had me thinking, have a Monoprice wall adapter installed as the TV is about 10' away from the coax. So it goes 3' HDMI to HDMI wall plate, to pair of Cat6 lines for 15', then Wall plate, then 3' HDMI adapter. Maybe there's something going on with that wall plate adapter. I originally had an Asus wireless HDMI bridge and it was crashing multiple times per day... so this may be it as well. I'll order a 20' HDMI cable to see if that settles it, and if so, I'll switch from the Cat6 adapter to the HDMI cable I can run in the wall instead.

Thanks!

-NMike

Mike,

I'm not saying anyone could definitely help, but... perhaps you could provide just a little more information, then there might be people on the forum that would recognize a cause, or offer other trouble-shooting ideas. For instance:

- Could you mention whether you have an HDMI cable directly between the 922 and your TV, or something inbetween? And if you have tried a different HDMI cable?
- Could you mention whether you have your 922 plugged directly into the AC wall socket, or if you have it plugged-into some kind of surge protector or other AC filtering device?
- Could you mention whether you have ever tried to plug the AC power of the 922 into another zone of the house - potentially (and just temporarily) with a heavy-duty 3-prong extension cable?

Ya I got this also. Did not even know it was coming. Last evening I was viewing the TV and then everything "LOCKED" up. Could not do anything. So it was "reset" time. Seemed like the reset took...but it went through 6 or so reset screens...you know the Sling is loading screen. An this took like close to 10 minutes to do. Was really beginning to think the 922 was toast...but suddenly it took and came back to life. See no differences on the menu. All is good now.

Mike,

While you are waiting until the new cable arrives (I think that is a critical piece to have an HDMI cable consistent the whole way, so I like that thought,) I would also say that you could try plugging the AC power directly into non-filtered AC. Some circuitry for those devices like you describe for home theater power can be too much for the 922, and I believe everyone at DIRT recommends to plug directly to the AC power for best results. You might see what improvement you could get by not having the power device inbetween your 922 and the home AC power outlet.

I am finding this reference to recycling interesting. Sunday morning was watching a movie and the signal froze..............I thought no big deal I'll just reset it. The unit cycled through booting for about 10 minutes before it finally booted up. I tried unplugging and reset but neither did anything it just finally booted up on its own. Have had no problems since. If anyone has any insight into this I would be interested.
Thank you

Didn't seem to help here... woke up today to it endlessly rebooting like my wife reports most mornings. To me it seems like it does this if it can't find out the TV on startup. If the TV is on, it starts up in a couple minutes, if not, it reboots *forever*, occasionally getting to a black screen of uselessness where it doesn't record anything.

So far for me Sling seems to be working, see how much longer this lasts. Still about a 3s delay when hitting buttons, but not the end of the world. Also pretty happy to see they started supported Chrome for streaming from the TV.

I've gotten used to the quirks, but my wife is getting pretty annoyed at the daily reboots. I already got the green light to check out the Hopper when it comes out... TBH I'm sort of looking forward to it as my monitors' in my office also have HDMI inputs, so why use Sling to those which is sluggish and lower quality when I can hook up direct with a Joey and get real 1080p... then get the Sling for remote watching at some later date.

-Mike

Ah! Very interesting as the only time our 922 seems to NOT endlessly reboot is when dear old mom is watching it on weekend afternoons (she allows it to "update" and reboot). I had just chalked it up to luck and didn't make the connection. Sometimes (not mostly) it will "update" reboot properly when the TV is off or not being sent to the TV via the AV unit. I know that by the time I get home (we have ours set to update at about 1PM in the afternoon) , the 922 is in proper standby and even recording at time. But I don't know how much time it took to finally be in the proper state.

Yes, my DREAM, as well, is to move on to the Hopper, 2 of them, ideally. I will wait to see reports of the first ones out to monitor bugginess and then order when I think Dish has enough of them addressed.

Second time my 922 has done this continuous reboot since the new software update..............froze up again this morning and rebooted for over 30 minutes!
After reading earlier that they have discontinued the 922 and now having problems I can't say that I am too happy at the moment.

Tom, I'm going to paste in something I just wrote to someone on DBS Talk... I do not have the constant rebooting issues, and all is "normal" with my 922 after software upgrade to S116, although it still has its many GUI issues, and lack of BBMP, which are evidently of lower-rank importance to the engineers than what S116 brought forth.

I think you need to present more information about your set-up. Please fully explain the basics of your set-up regarding the 922:
- where it is placed (ie. closed cabinet, open air)
- how it is connected to AC power (directly in 3-prong grounded socket? through some kind of AC surge protector?)
- how it is connected to TV1 (HDMI cable, RCA cables)
- how it is connected to internet & speed of internet
- what version of software is showing (hit menu twice)
- what update time is set? does it update?
- what are the temperature readings? (Settings > Diagnostics > page down almost to bottom)
- do you do soft red-button resets when you have problems?
- do you do hard disconnect AC power resets when you have problems?
- have you tried temporarily connecting the 922 to another AC power section of the home with a long heavy-duty 3-prong extension cord?
- have you considered having the power quality tested at the location where you have the 922 plugged-in. Your AC power supplier may be convinced to help you test this if you explain your situation of multiple sophisticated electronic hardware failures. Otherwise, a good electrician with a fancy power quality tester.

Answering these may help myself or someone else to give you better feedback than just flying blind. As you can maybe tell, I am prone lately to think that there are many instances of replacing a 922 multiple times - but the odds are really fairly unlikely to receive so many bad 922's in a row. That's when would start looking at what is wrong with the external power and other connections.

I would add one other thing... if you have any other hardware or software running with the 922, please state what it is. Anything that is unusual or extra.

Tom, I'm going to paste in something I just wrote to someone on DBS Talk... I do not have the constant rebooting issues, and all is "normal" with my 922 after software upgrade to S116, although it still has its many GUI issues, and lack of BBMP, which are evidently of lower-rank importance to the engineers than what S116 brought forth.

I think you need to present more information about your set-up. Please fully explain the basics of your set-up regarding the 922:
- where it is placed (ie. closed cabinet, open air)
Open Air
- how it is connected to AC power (directly in 3-prong grounded socket? through some kind of AC surge protector?)
directly in 3 prong grounded socket
- how it is connected to TV1 (HDMI cable, RCA cables)
HDMI Cables
- how it is connected to internet & speed of internet
Cat 5 to my router. 6 Mbps up and 10 Mbps down
- what version of software is showing (hit menu twice)
S116 XACB
- what update time is set? does it update?
3 am
- what are the temperature readings? (Settings > Diagnostics > page down almost to bottom)
avg 114 f I watched this the first few months of ownership and it has remained constant for the last 1-1/2.
- do you do soft red-button resets when you have problems?
Thats the first thing I do
- do you do hard disconnect AC power resets when you have problems?
The second thing I do
- have you tried temporarily connecting the 922 to another AC power section of the home with a long heavy-duty 3-prong extension cord?
No, the reason is this just started ..........no problems till now
- have you considered having the power quality tested at the location where you have the 922 plugged-in. Your AC power supplier may be
convinced to help you test this if you explain your situation of multiple sophisticated electronic hardware failures. Otherwise, a good electrician with a fancy power quality tester.
No at this point I don't feel power is the problem, if it was I would be having either the amp or TV acting up also

Answering these may help myself or someone else to give you better feedback than just flying blind. As you can maybe tell, I am prone lately to think that there are many instances of replacing a 922 multiple times - but the odds are really fairly unlikely to receive so many bad 922's in a row. That's when would start looking at what is wrong with the external power and other connections.
I have never had this 922 replaced it was put into service on April 13, 2010

I would add one other thing... if you have any other hardware or software running with the 922, please state what it is. Anything that is unusual or extra.

The reason I mentioned this is not that I feel it was the update that brought it on but because of other mentions of the same problem. If this is a sympton of the 922 failing then that would give me a heads up. I have never complained about the 922 and have owned it since it became available................I
So I have given you the specifics of my installation in hopes that this problem will either resolve itself or that someone in the forum will read it and say "hey, mine did that and this is how I resolved it. :):) I appreciate your reply and hope this helps.

Yeah, thanks. Very detailed, and nice to have the detail. The only question I have is where you say 'HDMI cables' with an 's', and makes me think more than one cable involved? Or just a typo?
At any rate, yes- I have written that for someone else, and just thought so many of the detailed questions applied. In the other case, they were on their 3rd replacement.

It does indeed seem to me that you have everything with normal parameters and have set up properly and reacted as would be proscribed. (Unless there is something different about the HDMI cables, such as looping through some kind of home theater receiver, I suppose. If so, I recommend going direct from 922 to TV to eliminate the receiver temporarily, to see if the rebooting stops.) While I'm thinking about it, helpful to state what make & model # of your TV and amp.

Your comment about the amp and TV give me pause first to think that you indeed may have an amp in the HDMI loop, and second, that it seems to me the 922 electronics are... well, delicate by comparison to other electronic home theater equipment. In fact, based on all of the forum entries everywhere, I would say that the design of the 922 must not have been engineered correctly, because it needs so many things to be "just so." The problem is that Dish does not have materials that say it should be "just so" before you bought into one.

Certainly others may have some helpful comments, but I'd say if you looped HDMI direct from 922 to TV (temporarily) and then did the hard (disconnect AC power for 30 sec) reset... and if does not solve the rebooting problem, then it is definitely time to get a replacement, particularly if they are willing to send one for free. I would think (and certainly hope) that the Hopper and Joey are designed, engineered, and built to be much more sturdy, and tolerant of most of the variables that people might have.

still does,but the issue is deeper than that,people need to access what is happening and make the proper adjustments.Dish is beta testing the Hopper and Joey,it has PTAT which has to do with locals on satellite.I see changes in my guide every day and sometimes several times a day in my guide with my HD locals,while I don't see any problems with my SD locals.

I bought my 922/wMT2 because at the time it was not offered by DISH,I wanted the new format to see and test it for myself.Here is my solutions to the problems I have seen:

I took out my MT2,to be reinstalled at a later time when issues subside.

I set up my local channel timers to use my SD channels only(setup guide option for SD&HD).

Make sure my guide list is always set to My Channels,no other option.

I do not do a Favorites List because it will get jumbled up with these issues.

I try to stay away from going into Duo Mode when I do I lose timers.

These are a few of my solutions to make things work right on my 922,the people that are running the 722k are also experiencing similar issues.

Good Luck!.

still does,but the issue is deeper than that,people need to access what is happening and make the proper adjustments.Dish is beta testing the Hopper and Joey,it has PTAT which has to do with locals on satellite.I see changes in my guide every day and sometimes several times a day in my guide with my HD locals,while I don't see any problems with my SD locals.

I bought my 922/wMT2 because at the time it was not offered by DISH,I wanted the new format to see and test it for myself.Here is my solutions to the problems I have seen:

I took out my MT2,to be reinstalled at a later time when issues subside.

I set up my local channel timers to use my SD channels only(setup guide option for SD&HD).

Make sure my guide list is always set to My Channels,no other option.

I do not do a Favorites List because it will get jumbled up with these issues.

I try to stay away from going into Duo Mode when I do I lose timers.

These are a few of my solutions to make things work right on my 922,the people that are running the 722k are also experiencing similar issues.

Good Luck!.

The main problem I was having was when I bought my 922 and activated it ,the previous owner's local channels kept appearing in my guide.This was what was messing up my local channels programming information and causing issues with recordings.

After trying resets and discussing the problem with DISH Advanced Tech,they recommended sending out a technican who when arriving and seeing what my problem was also called DISH Advanced Tech and both of them was able to correct my problems.

So now yesterday I reinstalled my MT2 Module and it looks like my problems for now have been solved.But I will continue to test and search for problems that may show up and report them here.

Have noticed sometimes when I am trying to scroll through the pages in the guide,the scrolling takes off by itself for several pages.

After the nightly reboot my guide is changing back to My Channels instead of staying on my Favorites List.

Also sometimes My Events likes "Pawn Stars" and tries to record all of them instead of "new only" like I have selected in the timer.

Last night was watching a prerecorded program "Antiques Roadshows" when the video froze up so I did a RBR.Noticed this morning after the nightly reboot my guide was not on My Channels,but stayed on my Favorites List.So was the reason the video froze because DISH put in a fix?.We shall see after a few days,but having my guide stay on my Favorites List was a welcome sight this morning,Thanks DISH!.:D

Last night was watching a prerecorded program "Antiques Roadshows" when the video froze up so I did a RBR.Noticed this morning after the nightly reboot my guide was not on My Channels,but stayed on my Favorites List.So was the reason the video froze because DISH put in a fix?.We shall see after a few days,but having my guide stay on my Favorites List was a welcome sight this morning,Thanks DISH!.:D

Seems like I spoke too soon because after my nightly reboot last night my guide switched to My Channels instead of staying on my Favorites List!.:confused::mad:

Oh well DISH back to the old drawing board!.:p

Yep - still the same 922.

The real question in my mind is - does the Hopper also have this problem from its ancestor (922,) or did they fix that for the Hopper? (I haven't done a thorough scan for this on the Hopper threads.)

Just to connect this thought - I did have the time tonight to scan the Hopper Zone, and sure enough... in two posts, including this one, I see that this bug has survived the 922 software right into the Hopper. (Hey, the name kind of works with this use.)

Dear Dish Engineers: Please fix this in both 922 and Hopper. Your idea of reverting back to "My Channels" every night is not a good one, even if you can keep pressing the Guide button to the one you want, and then down-arrowing to the channel rows. Just replace with the logic that whatever list it was on, keep it there. Is that so hard? Listen - nobody likes it the way you have it. I know you find that hard to believe that your own logic is not normal, but perhaps you should do some actual home user testing and find these things out. That way, you wouldn't put annoying stuff like this into the past two major DVRs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts