Just signed up for DirecTV before I knew about the $180 Costco cash card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blueoval4ever

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I called about DirecTV and got what I thought was a good deal. Looks all the same as any other deal. I found that Costco has $180 cash card for signing up. Also I had a friend who has DirecTV and did not add them as a referral.

Can I call DirecTV and get it changed to get this or do I need to cancel my current install and go start over through Costco?

Also I had ordered 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers. I noticed I was charged $99 each for the HD receivers. I know I could add a external HD to both the DVRs, but that would turn off the internal storage. I can get 2 more HD DVRs for only $200 more. With the Whole Home would I be able to record 8 different programs at one time ans still watch a another program on any of the DVRs?

Plus I also want some info on the OTA recording. Can I get all 4 DVRs that will recored OTA? I live in the edge of 2 areas and can watch OTA from stations not in my DirecTV local channels plus all the Extra channels not on DirecTV in my area.

Thanks for reading any help would be appreciated. My install is scheduled for Jan 6.

First thing first

If you want the cosco promo you will most likely have to cancel your appointment and redo it at cosco.
You friend will not be eligible for a referral then.
Also, any promotions have to be settled prior to install and they will create a new work order.

Second, get all equipment now that you want or it will cost you double later.

Third, with 4 DVR's yes, you can record 8 shows at once, but you can't watch something different on any of the TV's. You will have to watch one of the shows being recorded.

One more thing, they will tell you to apply for rebates prior to the installer getting there.
Actually, the best time is after he gets there and you guys make sure there are no work order changes.
Some companies can't make them once rebates are applied for meaning any changes will either have to be made with a new appointment or they will have to cancel the current work order and start all over again.

OP, in order for your friend to get the referral, you MUST call the referral line they have set up on the referral page, if not they won't give it to you.

Thanks for the info everyone. I tried to go to the Costco DirecTV page and after entering info I saw that the 2nd year discount of $14 had been removed. Only the $29 first year was on the list. That would be $168. Don't know if that promo ended on 12/31/10. It also would not let me enter a referral. I do think I need to call about the 4 HD DVRs. I had already applied the rebate.

Current Update

I have no DirecTV on order at this time.

I call to change the 2 HD receivers to HD DVRs and they said I would have to cancel my order because I had already summited the rebates. So that means I had to place a new order. Due to the fact I had a credit fraud against me over 5 years ago, I am currently still the victim of those who attempted to defraud me. After being on the phone with 3 different CS for over 45 minutes, I was told to call a 866 number to verify my Account. Then the staff at the credit verification was gone for the day. I will have to try again tomorrow.

The Costco deal will not allow you to add a referral to the account according to the young lady at the kiosk. Also they do not have the $14 a month credit for the 13 to 24 months with their package. So that is when I called DirecTV.

Hope I can get something straightened out tomorrow.

I recently signed up for service and was able to get both the $180 Costco gift card and referral. I signed up through Costco's website (search DirecTV on their site and it will bring you to the page to sign up through them). After I placed the order I called the referral number and the rep was able to add the referral to my order. I've seen on other websites that people have had success with processing the order through the Costco link and prior to completing checkout to open the referral link to add the refer a friend to your order. Just a FYI on timelines - I was installed on 12/15/10, got a email on 12/20/10 with the shipment confirmation of my Costco giftcard (Note: I didn't see anything referencing the gift card prior to this notice). Costco card was shipped two day service and actually got it on 12/21/10. On 12/24/10 I received a email confirming my $100 referral credit.

Edit: Just went to the Costco / DirecTV website and they have both the $29 credit for the 1st year and $14 credit for the 2nd.

Last edited:
The reason why you can't combine the referals with deal being offered by Costco is because if its setup as a referal costco is paid less commission.

I see how you went around the system to try to get both deals, but I wonder if Costco might somehow reduce your rebate by $100.

One thing with the Costco is the $14 a month in the second year is not included. I just put together a new 4 HD DVR order and made a screen shot. Total cost will be before tax. While talking to the first CS I was told it would be $48.99 for the first 3 months then $85.99 next 9 months then $100.99 the second year. That was without a referral. I was also told I would get the OTA recording with the 2 DVRs.

This one below is with a referral is $51.99 first 3 months then $95.99 next 9 months then 105.99 the second year.

7b7ac4da.jpg

Did you page over months 13-24 and not see the credit? It shows up when I go through it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-02 at 11.51.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-02 at 11.51.21 PM.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I signed up 3 weeks ago and was able to get the $180 from Costco and the $100 referral. However, I never saw the $14 (off monthly bill) for the 2nd year (then and now). What's going on? Can I call and ask for that? Do they offer different incentives based on our zip codes? thanks.

Steve592 ran a Costco with Choice XTRA $59.99 first 3 months

I ran one through Costco and yes the 2nd year does show $14 off for 12 months, but it is higher per month than the one direct from Direct with the referral added.
$66.99 1st 3 months $109.99 nest 9 months $125.99 2nd year and that is $5 a month more for the first year That would be $60 more but with a $180 Costco Card that would be $120 in your pocket,

Costco first 6 months
d77c3691.jpg

Costco last 6 months
6d749d68.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try going to the referral site after you setup your order but prior to checkout to add the referral to the Costco order? I've heard this works, but don't know first hand as I ended up calling the referral line to have it added to my order.

After DirecTV would not approve my Change for the new due to my Fraud Alert on my credit check, I did some more research. Found that I could get 3 722 Dish receivers for $0 upgrade with a new eastern arch dish. The fact that I have over 522 recordings on one of my EHD with Dish, helped make this decision. I have some more on 2 more EHDs also. The view real HD in 4 rooms was one reason to go to DirecTV. Dish will only allow 6 tuners on each account. I now I can Sneaker Net my EHD between the 3 something that van not be done with DirecTV.

IF you are looking to go to DirecTV, The Costco deal would be a good way to go. Just click the link in the Costco TV section, build your system, clink on restart. When you restart go to one of the other pages and find the referral to add referral discount to your order. Once you have done that just build your system and check out.

Is there anyway to confirm if i have the costco gift card referral? i signed up through the website. cw.directv.comurl and checked out and everything. A couple of days later i had to call directv and upgrade my DVR to the HMC (Home Media Center), they told me all they did was modify my exisiting order, but what makes me nervous is they gave me a whole new account number, than what i previously had.

I told the Directv agent i wanted to make sure i still got my costco referral, and he told me i would, he only modified the order. But dunno why they would swap my account number like that if they were only modifying it.

Is there anything that would show up on my order overview, or maybe a 1800 number to verify that i'm getting the gift card or am referred by costco??'

Thanks in advance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)