Just started installing.....anybody got any extra tools??

derekg420

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
Hey guys.... Well, I had a minor career change and now I am currently A DISH NETWORK INSTALLER!! Isn't that great. Get to work with this stuff everyday. Anyways, I was wondering if some of the installers could help me locate tools for cheap. I am going through a tough time financially. Used tools or any input on where to get necessary tools for cheap information would be appreciated. Thanks!!

im assuming that your doing subcontractor work and you dont work directly for dish :) Try your local thrift shops / pawn shops. you usally can get tools there for next to nothing :) as far as crimpers, sat meter, and stripers.. there is no real cheap place other than ebay :) hope this helps. Also some tools that you might need but makes a job alot easer :) is a flex bit, Glow Rods, and the wood/macenary bits that have a hole throgh the end of the bit so you can strip the end of the cable and put the metal conductor through. (helps pull the cable through the wall alot easer) and finally one thing i couldnt live without was a cable rack. It made my life sooo much easer as i could pull the amount of cable of the roll and keep going :) with out no snags.

Yes, goalie, I work for a subcontracter. :) I live in such a small town there is one pawn shop. Honestly, it is "barely" a pawn shop. Ebay looks like the best bet I guess. If you have any specific links to any tools that might make my job easier please post if you could. I guess I am asking for any of those "life saving" tools that I might not be aware of at this point. Thanks

The best place to look for stuff like this is E-Bay. Thats were I got most of my stuff for alot cheaper than you will find anywhere else.
What kind of connectors will you be using? You will need to know to be able to get the right compression tool. PPC EX and Snap and Seal use one type and Sterling uses another and Eagle Aspen uses another and so on and so on.

Last edited:
derekg420 said:
Hey guys.... Well, I had a minor career change and now I am currently A DISH NETWORK INSTALLER!! Isn't that great. Get to work with this stuff everyday. Anyways, I was wondering if some of the installers could help me locate tools for cheap. I am going through a tough time financially. Used tools or any input on where to get necessary tools for cheap information would be appreciated. Thanks!!

were do you live I may have some older stuff that can help you out.

Hey, Derek. I believe you bought a second dish (LNB & DP21 for 61.5) from me a while back.

Let me know what tools you need. I may be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Justin

alldigital@checkyes.tv

Last edited:
I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near the Wisconsin border.

Mainstreet, you are correct!! Thanks again!! Great service and techinical help to a satellite newbie at the time.

Connectors..........I am not quite sure about that. I will ask specifically on Monday.
It is so funny how these installer's barely know anything about the upcoming news such as MPEG-4, Voom, 411 receivers and such. I thought I was weird when I started talking about MPEG-4 and they all looked at me like I was a lunatic!!! funny stuff!

Derek, I have a couple of Accutrac and Digisats still in the box. P.M. if your interested, they all have the cases, chargers and car chargers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)