Just switched to *D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
The installer left about an hour ago. I was with *E for 4 years. Just wanted to give my 2 cents.
1.I like the speed of the HR24, it operates just as fast as my old 722
2.The Guide seems dated(It looks very similar to the guide for Bresnan communications which is god awful).I think *E's was by far more user friendly, and just looked more polished. I liked the option of being able to decide how the guide looked with *E. I wonder why *D decided not to update there guide after rolling out these great new recivers (24's)
3.The remote layout for me was better with *E, it seems you have to constantly hold the remote differently every time you want to do something with *D's
4.Picture quality seems to be the same to me, maybe HD comes in a tad better with *D.
So thats my initial impressions. If it wasn't for the UI I would hands down take *D over *E. I will update this after I have had about a week with it and see how it handles recordings.Right now I have it about a draw(Although Im saving $480 my first year with *D)

Any time you make a change, it takes time to get used to the different UI and remote layout. Once you do it will become natural.

And welcome to DirecTV and this forum.

"Dated" is an understatement.. It's basically the same GUI and guide they had back in the 1995-2001 when I had them! :D

The ui is very dated and dish's is much better looking.

Can't wait for them to update it as it is long over due.

So now that I have had over a full 24 hours I have had some pluses and negatives. First off I now think the picture quality is actually hands down better then *E's. Here is the bad. Im trying to get my HR24 to recognize my WD 1TB external hard drive I have in a Thermaltake dock. I used this for 2 years with *E and had zero issues. When I reboot my receiver it comes back and says there is a problem with my drive and gives me code 75-399. Anyone have any problems using an external drive with there HR24/500?

Its just a GUI and although a change would be OK its SO FAR down the list of any priorities. I mean who really cares; don't you spend you time actually watch TV? As long as the GUI does the correct job.

Its just a GUI and although a change would be OK its SO FAR down the list of any priorities. I mean who really cares; don't you spend you time actually watch TV? As long as the GUI does the correct job.

You're right, the actual TV content is the most important. However, there is a team of people that deal with the UI and probably have nothing to do with the TV side of it. It would be nice if they'd bring HD graphics and menus to their systems. I assume they're working on it (or at least I hope they are).

I really dont sweat the GUI, I know how to get around, and it works. The TiVo Series 3 is ugly, but it works. I'd rather see work spent on programming to get a unified series manager and todo list (between mrv dvr's), like the unified play list.

So now that I have had over a full 24 hours I have had some pluses and negatives. First off I now think the picture quality is actually hands down better then *E's. Here is the bad. Im trying to get my HR24 to recognize my WD 1TB external hard drive I have in a Thermaltake dock. I used this for 2 years with *E and had zero issues. When I reboot my receiver it comes back and says there is a problem with my drive and gives me code 75-399. Anyone have any problems using an external drive with there HR24/500?
Is it a SATA drive or USB?

nuttz565 said:
Its a SATA drive WD Caviar Green(WD7500AACS)

Good, USB won't work. Unlike Dish you have to meek your external drive your primary and only drive and you cannot move it between DVRs

That's the drive, not the enclosure. The enclosure has to have an E-SATA port, and you have to use the E-SATA cable (NOT USB) to connect the drive to the HR24.

yep , I just switched to *D 2 days ago also I was with *E for 5 year, I'm happy so far, got a good new customer deal and new equipment and features HR24, H24. Will be back later with feedback, so far so good. these forums have great info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)