Just switched to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
Good afternoon everyone. I finally made it back over to DirecTV. I left Cablevision here in Upstate NY, after being with them for almost 5 years. I had to use them while i lived at my old apartment. Anyway...

They install was yesterday and I just wanted to ask a quick question...the first of many. The installer brought me 2 HR-21 HD DVR's. I wanted to know if I should have been given the most recent models or are these units fairly good? I was using a 750 GB DVR Expander from Apricorn with my SA HD DVR from Cablevision. I hooked it up to this HR 21 and when I rebooted the receiver, it displayed that it was formatting the recording device. So, I'm assuming that the HD was formated and ready to use.

Anyway, so far so good with the switch over. I am VERY pleased with the picture quality of the HD, as compared with Cablevision...BIG difference!!! My last question for now is, I signed up using this Sunday Ticket promotion, which advertises DirecTV's best programming. BUT, I wasn't getting those extra HD channels...the group that includes MGM, Smithsonian, etc. Should that have been included with their BEST package???

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for your input and I look forward to being around this board for at least 2 years:)

best regards!
Billy

Good afternoon everyone. I finally made it back over to DirecTV. I left Cablevision here in Upstate NY, after being with them for almost 5 years. I had to use them while i lived at my old apartment. Anyway...

They install was yesterday and I just wanted to ask a quick question...the first of many. The installer brought me 2 HR-21 HD DVR's. I wanted to know if I should have been given the most recent models or are these units fairly good? I was using a 750 GB DVR Expander from Apricorn with my SA HD DVR from Cablevision. I hooked it up to this HR 21 and when I rebooted the receiver, it displayed that it was formatting the recording device. So, I'm assuming that the HD was formated and ready to use.

Anyway, so far so good with the switch over. I am VERY pleased with the picture quality of the HD, as compared with Cablevision...BIG difference!!! My last question for now is, I signed up using this Sunday Ticket promotion, which advertises DirecTV's best programming. BUT, I wasn't getting those extra HD channels...the group that includes MGM, Smithsonian, etc. Should that have been included with their BEST package???

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for your input and I look forward to being around this board for at least 2 years:)

best regards!
Billy

Those extra hd channels are normally $5/month, but there is a promotion on now for three free months. The Sunday Ticket doesn't include hd, but if you call and ask, you may get it for free or a reduced rate. Good luck!

Its
4.95 for hd extra pack whcih included 6 hd only exclusive channels ( as in they have no sd counterparts )

superfan is require for HD NFL but the likelyhood of getting free or reduce cost superfan is slim, to be honest. Is what customer service will tell you. While I take grievence with the dtv adds as the superfan requirement part of the fine print. It is there.

I just had my D* installed a few weeks ago. I also got a HR21. So far so good. The tech did search for a HR23 but there wasn't one in the van. You get what they have available.

From what I gather the HR23 has a larger HDD and has slightly better PQ.

jet

I have a HR22 HR23 and HR20 and maybe because I dont keep things longer then a couple of weeks hd space neever been a issue and Picture quality never been an issue thougth I think but dont qoute me on this as I am not a tec agetn an hr21 does not do 1080p but a hr22/23 does 1080p. But I could be wrong abou that I would have to check I could be wrong about the hr21 not supporting 1080p

Hey, Stone,

Did you see that new thead over at dsbtalk? "Some nice things to say about D* svc".

A good idea for a thread since we seem to focus in on the "negatives" so much on these Bds, me included.

Here's what I posted over there on that thread:

Me on the dbstalk thread said:
I'll chime in and add a "+" as well.

I upgraded to HD in Aug '08 from my SD DTV svc since '99. The DTV installer showed up on time and did a great job. I had previously run RG6 into every room in my house when I bought it back in '91. I told him that he could use the existing runs for my 2 HR installs but after thinking about it, he declined and said:

"I'd rather run new RG6 just in case there may be noise issues arise down the road due to your older RG6 runs".

It would have saved the guy a lot of work to use the older runs but he did it the right way, imo. And this was in August in Dallas in an attic with the outside temp around 100 Deg.

I'm the first one to post about the recent programming issues (Vs, no MSG HD feeds) but I have to give DTV an A+ for my installer.

The other thing for me is that I've rarely needed to call DTV CSR for issues over the years but for the most part, when the need has arised, I've had good svc from most CSR's.

I been perma banned from DBStalk.

I showed some pictures of a inside of a 2700/2800/3700 to show how to force update a firmware when it wont take because the software is too old to update to current. And me and capt 2 cents get into it aka ( James Long ) So I have a permaban.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)