Just Upgraded to HR21 - A Few Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobCA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
I finally gave in and upgraded from my Directv-Tivo to the HR21. I wanted the HD channels of course, but giving up Tivo software was tough.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. Is there anyway to set the box so I recieve the signal exactly as it is broadcast? The HR21 re-formats the picture on every setting for SD channels, even when "native mood" is turned on. Frankly, the stretch feature on my TV does a better job. The stretch on the HR21 destorts the picture a bit more IMO.

In other words, can I get SD broadcasts the same way I would on a standard (non-HD) receiver? No re-formating.

2. When I ordered the upgrade (2 weeks ago) the rep told me that DOD would be available for the HR21 by 12/1. Of course, it's not. Does anyone know what's happening with that? I called into Customer Service, but they had no useful information to offer.

Thank you in advance to whoever replies.

I believe the settings on the hr21 are the same as the hr20 and if that is the case, set the box to stretch on the hr21 and then set your tv to 4:3 expanded and you should get the results you are looking for. On 480 channels your guide will have over scan, but since D* went to the white GUI there is extra empty space on the edges to accommodate running your tv in expanded mode.

I finally gave in and upgraded from my Directv-Tivo to the HR21. I wanted the HD channels of course, but giving up Tivo software was tough.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. Is there anyway to set the box so I recieve the signal exactly as it is broadcast? The HR21 re-formats the picture on every setting for SD channels, even when "native mood" is turned on. Frankly, the stretch feature on my TV does a better job. The stretch on the HR21 destorts the picture a bit more IMO.

In other words, can I get SD broadcasts the same way I would on a standard (non-HD) receiver? No re-formating.

2. When I ordered the upgrade (2 weeks ago) the rep told me that DOD would be available for the HR21 by 12/1. Of course, it's not. Does anyone know what's happening with that? I called into Customer Service, but they had no useful information to offer.

Thank you in advance to whoever replies.

To answer #1:

Menu, Help & Settings, Setup, HDTV. Once there turn Native "ON" also make sure screen format is "Pillar Box" Make sure TV Ratio is set to 16:9, since you have a HDTV. Then make sure 480i, 720p & 1080i are selected resolutions. That should take care of everything for you.

As for DOD on the HR21, I would keep an eye out for any CE Tests, since a CE build is most likely to enable DOD before it gets rolled out to the public.

Enjoy your HR21!

To answer #1:

Menu, Help & Settings, Setup, HDTV. Once there turn Native "ON" also make sure screen format is "Pillar Box" Make sure TV Ratio is set to 16:9, since you have a HDTV. Then make sure 480i, 720p & 1080i are selected resolutions. That should take care of everything for you.

As for DOD on the HR21, I would keep an eye out for any CE Tests, since a CE build is most likely to enable DOD before it gets rolled out to the public.

Enjoy your HR21!

First, thank you both for your suggestions. However, I was unsuccessful with both methods. It seems "pillar box" mode embeds the black bars on the right and left of the screen, so they remain even when using the stretch feature in the television.

I am looking for a method in which the HR21 does not re-format at all, it simply sends the signal to my TV as a non-HD box would.

First, thank you both for your suggestions. However, I was unsuccessful with both methods. It seems "pillar box" mode embeds the black bars on the right and left of the screen, so they remain even when using the stretch feature in the television.

I am looking for a method in which the HR21 does not re-format at all, it simply sends the signal to my TV as a non-HD box would.

You could do this by resetting the box from 16:9 to 4:3 when viewing SD channels, but that is probably more trouble than it is worth. I prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) so pillar bars is best for me (and I wish the broadcasters wouldn't stretch things, although my TV will allow me to compress it).

Not that this has anything to do with Directv. But i run service calls on computers and people will tell me im at work but my 8 or 10 year old is home or that the house is unlocked to go right in. I tell them i cannot go unless someone is over 16 my god some people are just to trusting.

You could do this by resetting the box from 16:9 to 4:3 when viewing SD channels, but that is probably more trouble than it is worth. I prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) so pillar bars is best for me (and I wish the broadcasters wouldn't stretch things, although my TV will allow me to compress it).

This method still does not allow me to use my TV to search the picture, but it does look better. For some reason, setting the HR21 to 4:3 and then setting it to "stretch", is better. The picture on SD channels is cleaner and less destored. THANKS for the tip.

This method still does not allow me to use my TV to search the picture, but it does look better. For some reason, setting the HR21 to 4:3 and then setting it to "stretch", is better. The picture on SD channels is cleaner and less destored. THANKS for the tip.

Every TV has a different way of processing the info, so no one way is the correct way.
That said, I hope your not watching HD that way, because it's NOT HD if your in the 4:3 mode and stretching it.

Jimbo

Every TV has a different way of processing the info, so no one way is the correct way.
That said, I hope your not watching HD that way, because it's NOT HD if your in the 4:3 mode and stretching it.

Jimbo

No, I realize I can't set it that way for HD. I have a wide screen TV and for some reason the HR21 embeds the black bars on the left and right side of the screen for SD broadcasts in pillar box mode. Even when I stretch the picture (using the stretch feature on my TV) the black bars remain.

With my old Tivo receiver, I could use the stretch feature on the TV and remove the black bars, they were not embedded. I was hoping that the HR21 would do the same. My main concern was being able to transfer a full, less distorted picture to my DVD recorder with I record SD broadcasts. Bob's suggestion will allow me to do that.

If you know a way I can make the HR21 work like my Tivo receiver (no embedded bars), please let me know. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts