Just "Upgraded" to the 622 from the 942

RSAvenell

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
San Jose, CA
Dish Network called a few weeks back and told me that they were updrading the owners of the 942 to the newer 622 receiver which other than the MP4 aspect seems nearly identical. They came by today and hooked it up, and it seemed fine for about 6 hours. then all of a sudden, it froze up, and after a while reset itself. Now it seems to freeze and reset about every 10 minutes. I went to check the receiver and it seems very warm to the touch - I'd say it is actually hot to the touch on the left hand side, and I hear the hard drive spinning.

I'm a little pissed, as it took me a while to set up favorites and recording schedule to match the old receiver. Anyone know if this is a common problem with the 622? Is there a way to save the settings to transfer to another receiver if I need to get another one?

Pcture wise - while it was working, the recceiver seems to have a slightly better HD quality - especially noticable on the Equator HD channel. Should work for longer than 6 hours, though...

...thanks for the "upgrade", Dish!

Where do you have the receiver? It sounds like it's overheating and needs ventilation. If that is not the case then you probably should have it replaced as soon as possible before you start recording to it. There's no way to transfer your settings to another receiver.

Using the remote press Menu, 6, 3, then Counters, Page Down three times and it will display the hdd temperatures.

The receiver is in the same location that the 942 was in. I never had a problem with the 942. My old receiver would get warm, too - but not as hot as this new one. I will rearrange some stuff tomorrow and see if getting a little more ventilation helps. I just unplugged it for tonight.

Out of curiosity, what temp should I be seeing as an average temp for this receiver?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys RSAvenell..!!!

Dish Network called a few weeks back and told me that they were updrading the owners of the 942 to the newer 622 receiver which other than the MP4 aspect seems nearly identical. They came by today and hooked it up, and it seemed fine for about 6 hours. then all of a sudden, it froze up, and after a while reset itself. Now it seems to freeze and reset about every 10 minutes. I went to check the receiver and it seems very warm to the touch - I'd say it is actually hot to the touch on the left hand side, and I hear the hard drive spinning.

I'm a little pissed, as it took me a while to set up favorites and recording schedule to match the old receiver. Anyone know if this is a common problem with the 622? Is there a way to save the settings to transfer to another receiver if I need to get another one?

Pcture wise - while it was working, the recceiver seems to have a slightly better HD quality - especially noticable on the Equator HD channel. Should work for longer than 6 hours, though...

...thanks for the "upgrade", Dish!

They run hot, but unless enclosed or you have the vents blocked, not so hot to worry about.

There is no easy way to transfers favorites etc.

They have been recycling machines that were sent in with problems, so recently a number of people have gotten bad receivers. Actually properly remanufactured units are probably more reliable than "new" machines as they tend to have a little more testing before being sent out.

...I'm another Randall A, by the way. Great name!

You got that right! :up and you're also from the Bay Area.

I'm getting avg. of 107 with a laptop cooler under the 622. I was getting 118 avg. before I placed the laptop cooler. But you're in San Jose so yours is gonna run hotter. We rarely see mid 70s here in South San Francisco. :)

You got that right! :up and you're also from the Bay Area.

I'm getting avg. of 107 with a laptop cooler under the 622. I was getting 118 avg. before I placed the laptop cooler. But you're in San Jose so yours is gonna run hotter. We rarely see mid 70s here in South San Francisco. :)

Go San Francisco! :) :up

The past couple days has been foggy/misty. Great weather over here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)