Just want to make sure I have this 4k stuff correct

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The 4k college football that has been on has been simply incredible.

So has everything else. Yes, content is lacking but what's there is simply stunning. I've enjoyed some of the concerts and the soccer. Hoping like hell they can work something out with Rogers to grab some of the 4K NHL broadcasts.

With the HS17 you only pay for the clients. With the HR54 you pay for the receiver AND the clients.
an hr54 and 2 clients feeds 3 tvs
an hs17 and 3 cleints feed 3 tvs

the fees for that are the exact same
the reason there is no fee for the hs17, is because it cant feed a tv

Reactions: Whosyadaddy69
Right. This really is an issue in that the HR54 cannot output 4K so in some instances you'll pay for two receivers on one set.

I wonder if 104 105 and 106 will still be what they are in a few years. It was just a few years ago that they were 3D. I don't think that people outside forums like these care about 4K too much, especially with the limited content. And the client system isn't worth it. I had a client before and will never again.

Disagree. 4K is what HD was when there was only SD in the early stages. More and more content will be pushed out, including streaming providers like Amazon who I think will be the first to carry a 4K NFL broadcast. The content is relatively sparse, but just enough 4K sports to keep me happy and satisfied with my investment in a 4K TV.

Disagree. 4K is what HD was when there was only SD in the early stages. More and more content will be pushed out, including streaming providers like Amazon who I think will be the first to carry a 4K NFL broadcast. The content is relatively sparse, but just enough 4K sports to keep me happy and satisfied with my investment in a 4K TV.

I have a 4K TV but I didn't buy it for that, it was just a bonus. It looks great upscaled. I even paid Comcast to up my internet to the fastest pathetic speed available (50/5) and I can stream 4K. It looks good, especially the background detail, but it's not THAT much better. Certainly not worth $7/month more for 1 event or two a month.

Real channels had HD channels in the beginning. That's not happening with 4K. Where's the ESPN 4K? HBO 4K? They don't exist because they know it's not worth the investment.

Reactions: harshness
I have a 4K TV but I didn't buy it for that, it was just a bonus. It looks great upscaled. I even paid Comcast to up my internet to the fastest pathetic speed available (50/5) and I can stream 4K. It looks good, especially the background detail, but it's not THAT much better. Certainly not worth $7/month more for 1 event or two a month.

Real channels had HD channels in the beginning. That's not happening with 4K. Where's the ESPN 4K? HBO 4K? They don't exist because they know it's not worth the investment.

Fair enough. With sports, it's not just about the money. There are a ton of logistics that need to be taken into consideration in how the signal is transmitted and uplinked to all the various providers going forward.

trying to get my ducks in a row here. i currently have HR54 in one room and a C41 mini genie in another. if i get a 4K TV and want to get 4K from Direct, i will need to replace the C41 with a C61K and put the 4K TV in that room, correct? also want to make sure i don't need an internet connection to get 4K. i don't have internet service at home.

trying to get my ducks in a row here. i currently have HR54 in one room and a C41 mini genie in another. if i get a 4K TV and want to get 4K from Direct, i will need to replace the C41 with a C61K and put the 4K TV in that room, correct? also want to make sure i don't need an internet connection to get 4K. i don't have internet service at home.
You don't have to get rid of the C41 if you want to keep it as a second SD/HD client to another HDTV.

But you will need a C61K client for 4K regardless, unless the 4K TV itself is a DIRECTV RVU capable model and you choose that option.

And no, an internet connection is not required for 4K service.

Did it change where you no longer need an internet connection to enable RVU on a TV's client? I know when it originally came out it was a requirement for downloading some security 'stuff' in order to make it work.

Did it change where you no longer need an internet connection to enable RVU on a TV's client? I know when it originally came out it was a requirement for downloading some security 'stuff' in order to make it work.
Only thing I'm aware of is that any firmware upgrades for an RVU TV from the mfr. naturally require an internet connection.

You don't have to get rid of the C41 if you want to keep it as a second SD/HD client to another HDTV.

But you will need a C61K client for 4K regardless, unless the 4K TV itself is a DIRECTV RVU capable model and you choose that option.

cool, thanks

Just to clarify this. If a TV is being replaced then the client should be replaced and used with the 4K and HR54 with the other TV. The only way to feed 4K (beyond RVU) to a TV is with the C61K client.

Just to clarify this. If a TV is being replaced then the client should be replaced and used with the 4K and HR54 with the other TV. The only way to feed 4K (beyond RVU) to a TV is with the C61K client.
Correct.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts