Just wondering if this is against D* TOS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
If I am paying the lease for an apartment for a family member and it is in my name, am I allowed to install D* service there and let the inhabitant watch the TV, or will D* be completely against this? I am not expecting a free install, and I am expecting to have to pay a local installer or do it myself. I know that E* has their audit team and they would shut me down even with an explanation where the apartment is in my name and the D* account is in my name.

If you are the landlord (in affect) and you supply the SAT service in your name AND it is its own separate account from any other you have; the YES, this is perfectly legal.

so it can't be the same account as the one I use at home already?
Basically I am leasing the apartment, but am letting a family member live there for free. I use D* at home and want to have it installed there using the same account.

if its one receiver you can probably get by with it

Technically it is against the TOS but in my mind (and others) I guess it falls under the "dont tell anyone that you're doing it" ;)

Ditto what Ice said; technically it is against the rules. I wouldn't do it but everyone makes their own choices.

Basically Iceberg is saying "Just shutup and do it already." I would do it in a second. Supply a whole apartment building full of tenants separate boxes on my account, no, but one family member in one apartment you own...........Not telling you what to do but thats like going 3 miles over the speed limit. You could get ticketed for it, but most likely no one is going to ever say anything about it, or even know.

Problems will eventually occur and we will find out and it wont be pretty.

I will say like everyone else with only one extra box it will be harder to notice but I telling you right now it is a no no and you should know better but that is as far as i go on that matter.

Stonecold, could you explain the "worst" that can happen. The part that isn't pretty. The worst is they cancel your service correct? Are they going to take you to civil court for lost fees? I really have appreciated everything you have done to help me so far with my DirecTV service, but "scare" phrases like "it wont' be pretty" doesn't answer the OP at all. What happens?

BTW, I do not do this, just curious what actually can happen.

Stonecold, could you explain the "worst" that can happen. The part that isn't pretty. The worst is they cancel your service correct? Are they going to take you to civil court for lost fees? I really have appreciated everything you have done to help me so far with my DirecTV service, but "scare" phrases like "it wont' be pretty" doesn't answer the OP at all. What happens?

BTW, I do not do this, just curious what actually can happen.

This is just based on what I seen happen to accounts.

1. they will figure out when the box was installed at the apartment.
2. Then charge them separately for any package they had on there. lets say it goes on for a year they will do 12 x 58.99 (assuming it was just choice ) ( thats the cheap part )
3. They then win and ask for costs which they always get and there another 6 to 10 k added on to the outstanding charges as it includes all filing fees research etc.
4. They will then harass you by mail and phone calls with collection of the judgement.

then they will cancel your account. It really depends on the accounts but I will say DTV Legal is the one department I dont even screw with. They have not had much to do since the old P3 aka HU cards were phased out and they were suing hackers left and right any more.

Trust me it not pretty what DTV legal can do to ruin some one who effectively stealing service by breaking the tos.

Common sense will tell you that it a no no. I am just saying just because Directv does not harass people like Dish does it does not mean we dont keep a look out and that we dont let them get away with it. Dish will annoy you with there account audit teams , dtv just knock on your door and have you served .

But again I also stated he probably get away with it.

So what would you rather me do, I could scream that this is illegal and it violates this and that and have the thread moved to an arvhice never to be seen before I just being honest you dont want to mess around with dtv legal.

Thanks stonecold. Like I said I was just curious what else they could do. Putting that out there may keep some people legal. Or at least make someone think twice before they decide to be the owner of an "neighborhood " account.

It shouldn't be done, it's against the terms of service, but stonecold is blowing some major smoke when he says DIRECTV WILL find out. :)

It shouldn't be done, it's against the terms of service, but stonecold is blowing some major smoke when he says DIRECTV WILL find out. :)

If you noticed I said he probably get away with one box. But at the same time I seen accounts like this fall apart when the person at place B calls tech comes out and person B opens mouth and inserts foot. Tech then reports it to corporate security, when then passes it down to legal after there investigation. Ultimately it is a pain but I know there are thousand of people out there doing it so I am not going to kid my self and say oh we catch everyone instantly but truth is some where along the line they will make a mistake and make enough mistakes and even a lumbering giant can put 2+2 together.

If you noticed I said he probably get away with one box. But at the same time I seen accounts like this fall apart when the person at place B calls tech comes out and person B opens mouth and inserts foot. Tech then reports it to corporate security, when then passes it down to legal after there investigation. Ultimately it is a pain but I know there are thousand of people out there doing it so I am not going to kid my self and say oh we catch everyone instantly but truth is some where along the line they will make a mistake and make enough mistakes and even a lumbering giant can put 2+2 together.

Curious, as a tech, how often would you call Corp. Security or even know how to get ahold of them ?

Most have no clue.
If I had to get ahold of Corp. Security at my place of work, I'd have to ask a lot of people before I would come up with that number.

Curious, as a tech, how often would you call Corp. Security or even know how to get ahold of them ?

Most have no clue.
If I had to get ahold of Corp. Security at my place of work, I'd have to ask a lot of people before I would come up with that number.

When I was working as a tech, we were issued a card that had the phone number and website link to DirecTV Signal Integrity, along with a list of criteria to report and what information they needed. If a report panned out, the tech receives a reward for turning the customer in.

in house we just use our billing system to do a report to Singal integrity and we get 0 for turning in cusotmers but I seen enough to know techs report people all the time. I think more so they dont get fired for letting it slide.

Question asked and answered. This ends up in the account stacking realm so I'm closing it. Please heed the warnings of Stonecold, sharing the account is wrong, even if you own and lease out the second location.

What you can do is have a second account for that location in your name where you pay the bill, similiar to having a second cell phone (but at full price).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts