KDEV on mid-Missouri cable TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carload

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I was sitting in a hotel room at the Lake of the Ozarks (Missouri) last week, flipping around the dial, when I spotted the RTN logo. Curious, I hung around to see the station ID, and it turned out to be KDEV-LP, Denver! How nice to get a taste of FTA on the road.

The hotel's channel chart identified the channel simply as "Pax TV", although it gave the call letters of the other OTA stations on the dial. I noted that it was Charter Communications channel 15, which TitanTV identifies as KWFT, WB Eureka Springs AR. (KWBM, Springfield MO, was on channel 17.)

So what do you suppose happened? Was Charter picking up Pax from KYPX, then switched to KDEV when they both went to RTN? Was Charter still showing Pax, but somebody at Equity showed the wrong station ID? Did the PIDs change around to put KDEV in KYPX's old slot?

carload said:
So what do you suppose happened? Was Charter picking up Pax from KYPX, then switched to KDEV when they both went to RTN?
possibly. Only the cable company knows

Was Charter still showing Pax, but somebody at Equity showed the wrong station ID?
doubt it. The ID for KYPX I havent ever seen wrong

Did the PIDs change around to put KDEV in KYPX's old slot?
nope. PIDs are the same as when they were PAX

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but there was an Equity channel in the Springfield area somewhere than ran the old "Lick" TV. Then it apparently disappeared and KDEV took over that slot on G10, but it still showed the old call letters. (KWBS?)

The KDEV top of the hour IDs on "Lick" used to give a cable channel for Springfield... so I'm guessing when Equity turned off Lick-TV on KWBS or whatever it was, the cable systems in that area were taking the signal from G10 and continued to do so, but now they're picking up KDEV.

It's very possible KWBS was originally a Pax station. Equity had a few of those, but dropped the Pax affiliation some time ago. That's why the call letters of WPXS might indicate it was a Pax station, it was orginally, but isn't anymore.

This used to be KWFT which was Wb and then PAx. That cable company now has KWBM for WB and still gives us cable for the old KWFT and so they get RTN
GAry

jh98 said:
I'm a little fuzzy on this, but there was an Equity channel in the Springfield area somewhere than ran the old "Lick" TV. Then it apparently disappeared and KDEV took over that slot on G10, but it still showed the old call letters. (KWBS?)

The KDEV top of the hour IDs on "Lick" used to give a cable channel for Springfield... so I'm guessing when Equity turned off Lick-TV on KWBS or whatever it was, the cable systems in that area were taking the signal from G10 and continued to do so, but now they're picking up KDEV.

It's very possible KWBS was originally a Pax station. Equity had a few of those, but dropped the Pax affiliation some time ago. That's why the call letters of WPXS might indicate it was a Pax station, it was orginally, but isn't anymore.

These stations at one time were PAX
WBIF 51
KYPX 49
KWBS 34
WBMM 22
WPXS 13

All were on the main TP (11799). Then Equity dropped PAX off all EXCEPT for KYPX (There was some lawsuit that Equity won against Pax).

WBIF, KWBS, WBMM, WPXS all went to the "Lick TV" moniker along with KWWF (Waterloo), WNYI (Ithaca). I have some old screen shots of those.

KWBS is now KWFT (it switched TP's) and KDEV is in the old KWBS slot on 11799 TP.

One of these days I'll upload some old Equity screenshots :)

And here in Springfield, RTN is on Channel 30, it just shows KWFT and its listings (Gary can you get this fixed?! My Cable DVR can't grab anything off of RTN because it shows KWFT's listings)

Channel 30 was KWBS and ran PAX until the split. Appearantly, Mediacom was originally told KWBS was going to Daystar TV (and that's how Mediacom has it referenced in their training materials), and it ended up being KWFT's feed, and Debbie and the folks at KWBM arranged to put an alternate feed on that channel due to the problem carrying 2 signals of the same thing.

RTN's offerings are much better than those that KWBS or even Lick TV.

KWBM is on Channel 11 on Springfield cable and existed in tandem with KWBS/RTN since at least 2001.

And as of this morning, RTN is gone off of Springfield Cable. There's a message on Channel 30 that the broadcast network seen there has 'ceased operations'.

Gary, RTN is gone?!

was up last night still.....hmmmm

I'm not home so I can't check...what's on the RTN channels?

Reruns of stuff like A-Team, Quincy, Happy Days, laverne and shirley and let's not forget Confessions Live.

I guess I should have worded it better

If you have a FTA system and you tune to the “RTN” channels, what is on there now (if it isn’t RTN?)

Maybe the cable company yanked it but it’s still there FTA

just checked for myself

Laverne & Shirley on KWBS (KDEV) & a couple others
Family Ties on the others

so yeah Medicom is lying to you...maybe they have an issue picking it up?

The cable co's can do some odd things at some points. I get the feeling they receive alot more channels on their cbands than what they put out (trying to maximize profit to what goes where)

Once for a day or so we got washington states legislature channel! Very weird but interesting.

Other times channels seemed to change like International channel dropped their arabic content :mad: switching to mostly chinese/vietnamese and indian programming.

Mediacom won't discuss why RTN/KDEV disappeared. I can't get an answer out of anyone who works there about it. I've got a call into Equity about it, and the lady I talked to there knows nothing about it disappearing.

mdovell said:
The cable co's can do some odd things at some points. I get the feeling they receive alot more channels on their cbands than what they put out (trying to maximize profit to what goes where)

Once for a day or so we got washington states legislature channel! Very weird but interesting.

Other times channels seemed to change like International channel dropped their arabic content :mad: switching to mostly chinese/vietnamese and indian programming.

Yes, there are many more channels picked up on headend dishes then are used.

The company I work for has a dish pointed at G4R/Ku only for one stream, out of the 120 or so channels on that bird.

Sometimes providers will change transponders, and if the change isnt made in the headend at the right time (or if they neglect to tell us about it) then you will see the "replacement" channel for a time while things are reconnected to the correct transponder or even the correct satellite.

Wait a minute here….now follow me on this

KWBS use to be the PAX affiliate for Springfield…then left the air when Equity & Pax had theirfallout. They created a WB channel and called it KWFT. Equity put KWFT on the 2nd transponder and used the spot where KWBS is for what is now RTN, KDEV

Sneaky Snooper
Do you have KWFT (WB) on your cable system? Maybe Medicrap didn’t change the feed when KWBS went belly up (Equity returned those call letters to the FCC and got KWFT)..I honestly don’t know

Iceberg said:
Wait a minute here….now follow me on this
KWBS use to be the PAX affiliate for Springfield…then left the air when Equity & Pax had theirfallout. They created a WB channel and called it KWFT. Equity put KWFT on the 2nd transponder and used the spot where KWBS is for what is now RTN, KDEV
Sneaky Snooper
Do you have KWFT (WB) on your cable system? Maybe Medicrap didn’t change the feed when KWBS went belly up (Equity returned those call letters to the FCC and got KWFT)..I honestly don’t know

let me answer this as a yes and no...

The cable guide and listings showed KWFT. However, KWBM is already on cable. on the feed we saw here, KDEV was ID'ed, but did show some local ads oddly enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)