Keep MOOV and 999?

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Look 999 we don't need all the Cinema10, new Rush, new Rave, New Equator programming happens between movies and events anyway, so I say 999 is a waste right now. Turn it off and spread the bandwidth or get a new FSN HD channel or something.

Moov is just a waste of time, they can take Tank and throw it on some late night hour on Auction.

Or voice your own opinion...

Keep MOOV! Stay original! Don't follow the crowd and its average taste!
As for ch. 999, this is a demo-loop for in-store displays. IMO, unneeded.

Get rid of Moov and 999...and increase the bandwidth of some other HD ch's....PLEASE!!!

Well so far everyone's mainly voting for 1 to go, more leaning towards Moov, although to me 999 is equally useless. I can't see keeping those two channels instead of going for INHD or changing the content to something more appealing, or something I would like is just to increase bandwidth on channels in the meantime (until MPEG4).

Getting rid of one or two channels won't help if they currently run 3 channels/transponder, that would only help with 1 or two channels, they can't spread that bandwidth over 40 channels.

No doubt the Voom bigwigs monitor this stuff and would replace 999 and/or Moov if they could launch something more popular in HD. After all, they dumped 999 for the conventions, which was great. What else is available to them right now? Obviously, HDNet and INHD are not available.

Despite a few vocal people here on the PQ issue (and I am sure their point is valid), I suspect that Voom is better off marketing-wise with more channels and their existing PQ, rather than reducing channels to raise the PQ. Their current competition is SD. Any HD is better than SD. Superb PQ isn't a critical marketing factor... yet.

When other providers catch up with more HD, and Voom's edge is in higher quality PQ, I believe Voom will be first to deliver the best PQ.

I believe the better PQ will come with MPEG4/WM9 IMO, so 1080iBeVuMin I think has a valid point, it would be more impressive to offer different content on those channels or INHD/HDNet or RSN's in HD in those slots right now with exisiting PQ schemes.

Why not just move Tank to Animania or Auction for 1-2 hours?

IMHO...

Moov - If Voom wants to be original, change the name to Tank, play it 24/7. The music art stuff is just annoying, but the idea of having a channel to tune your HD set to and have it look like you have a fish tank when there is nothing on is atleast kind of cool.

999 - Why have a promo loop wasting space and bandwidth if you don't have a retailer to play it on their displays? Sears?!? My local Sears doesn't even have a Voom display, much less a demo running.

In a perfect world - Voom would ditch Moov, Divine, Auction, 999, and a couple of the Cinema channels. They would put more money into HDNews to allow actual news coverage without the short loop, create/purchase more content for the originals people actually do watch, and use the extra HD bandwidth they cleared up to run East and West feeds of ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox programming. It might cost them a bunch to get it moving, but it would get Voom subscribers, decrease their churn rate and give them the edge it needs in this market. Quality over Quantity! But, of course, that is just my opinion.

And of course most of us wouldn't be able to GET the East/West coast feeds of those channels do to all the local market regulations.

Dvlos said:
INHD/HDNet or RSN's in HD in those slots right now...
INHD/HDNet are not going to happen even if you kill some channels. It has nothing to do with the lack of bandwidth. RSNs are stuck for some reason too: VOOM has space available for RSN Cleveland, for example, but even that is being delayed and delayed. Adding new HD channels to VOOM is not an issue of bandwidth (and it never was), it's an issue of finding HD content at acceptable price. If they can get new content, I am sure they will find space for it, but without new content, killing existing channels won't achieve anything... (MHO)

DarrellP said:
Except give us a couple of pristine channels. :yes
Can you really imagine this? VOOM marketing people announcing: "Hey, we no longer have 21 exclusive HD channels, as we advertised before, but here is the good news: 2 channels now have a slightly higher bandwidth!" :D
Yeah, right! Let's get real!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts