Keep MOOV and 999?

I could care less about channel 999, but I really like Moov. i don't think the Video art is annoying, its good to have on for background at parties etc. Tank I cannot live without. I love tank, it is one of my favorite Voom only things. I have a bunch of DVD Aquariums, and having one in High Definition is just awesome. I watch MOOV because of this more then any other exclusive Voom channel.

After the DVR comes out, and if INHD becomes non-cable exclusive, they should add that. If they have a chance to add more RSN's in HD like Comcast Chicago, or FSN Detroit or FSN West... they should, but at that time, they should consider ditching 999 first, then Moov, then west coast feeds.. IMHO. According to that SEC information when the new bird comes online they could move all the SD channels over and have a maximum capacity on Rainbow 1 of 35-37 HD Channels, which isn't alot more. I think part of this has to do with Voom having 80 SD channels crammed along with HD right now, they have a different encoding (8psk?) than D* so they hold their PQ better I guess.

Now if I had to pick those 35-37 slots now, considering the HD RSN's available I wouldn't keep Moov and 999 I don't care how original Moov is right now. I'd make a decent RSN HD pack (Florida, NY, Chicago, LA, maybe D-town) and make a nice sports package that people can subscribe to all of them for a price. Maybe indirectly/directly compete with the Sports Tickets on D*. The Voom Regional Sports Pack.

I know Voom is bottlenecked in what they can do today, however long term, they should consider that being able to offer more sports in HD, and more content in HD will ultimately be more attractive to customers than HBO and 3 hours later HBO again, right? Voom definately needs to "trim the fat" as soon as they can. They got good potential 2003-2004 they have to view it as trial by fire, now they should mold themselves into the right tool to get subs.

Good PQ.

Good content.

Good sports.

DVR.

Wrapped up in nice multiple payment packages.

Problem is MOOV has nothing to do with its supposed-to-be title: "motion video compositions; video art set to music."
It's a kinda gradschool-level, pretty bad tryout-channel, where everybody can take on an appearently available software/hardware and it's gonna be aired, no matter how bad is that...
I do work in the animation/post production industry, I saw enough bad stuff already, believe me... :)

999 is for showrooms, storefronts, thus obviously won't go anywhere.

Ilya said:
Can you really imagine this? VOOM marketing people announcing: "Hey, we no longer have 21 exclusive HD channels, as we advertised before, but here is the good news: 2 channels now have a slightly higher bandwidth!" :D
Yeah, right! Let's get real!
you know thats a ridiculous statement/Advertisement and no one would ever use it. Besides since so few people know about Voom at this time its a perfect time to Dump the loser channels that are NOT bringing in subs and increase picture quality. You Get real! Or are you gonna repeat that 21 exclusive crap mantra until your screen goes black in about a year? Voom may be funded for two, but in about a year when we only have 70,000 subs instead of the 35,000 now and still need another 1.43 million I dont see them wasting the rest of the funding on a losing cause.

Ilya said:
INHD/HDNet are not going to happen even if you kill some channels. It has nothing to do with the lack of bandwidth. RSNs are stuck for some reason too: VOOM has space available for RSN Cleveland, for example, but even that is being delayed and delayed. Adding new HD channels to VOOM is not an issue of bandwidth (and it never was), it's an issue of finding HD content at acceptable price. If they can get new content, I am sure they will find space for it, but without new content, killing existing channels won't achieve anything... (MHO)
Killing existing channels and freeing the bandwidth and all the money Dolan is flushing down the toilet buying or creating content like FLUGTAG or spanish soccer that has a fan base in america smaller than table tennis and using those funds for INHD would be a smart move. Its all money. And thats the reason we do not have INHD. Voom feels the price is too high. its too high becuase Voom doesnt have the cash.

vurbano said:
you know thats a ridiculous statement/Advertisement and no one would ever use it. Besides since so few people know about Voom at this time its a perfect time to Dump the loser channels that are NOT bringing in subs and increase picture quality. You Get real! Or are you gonna repeat that 21 exclusive crap mantra until your screen goes black in about a year? Voom may be funded for two, but in about a year when we only have 70,000 subs instead of the 35,000 now and still need another 1.43 million I dont see them wasting the rest of the funding on a losing cause.
vurbano, in the posting that you are replying to I am not suggesting what VOOM should or should not do. I am simply stating that (IMHO) it is unlikely that VOOM will trade one or two of the 21 exclusive channels for increased bandwidth on other existing channels. If you are disagreeing with this, you are basically saying that it is likely to happen. Ok, time will tell... :)

vurbano said:
spanish soccer that has a fan base in america smaller than table tennis
If this were true, how do you explain the existence of other soccer-oriented channels, like Gol-TV or FoxSportsWorld? How do you explain the existence of PPV soccer channels? And do you know any table tennis channels, I am just curious?

As for InHD instead of VOOM exclusives, why do you need VOOM if you can get this on cable?

Ilya said:
Can you really imagine this? VOOM marketing people announcing: "Hey, we no longer have 21 exclusive HD channels, as we advertised before, but here is the good news: 2 channels now have a slightly higher bandwidth!" :D
Yeah, right! Let's get real!

You hit it RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!
Vooms appeal is NOT the advertised Picture Quality; its the QUANTITY of HD channels...People who sign up ASSUME the PQ is "awesum", since its advertised as HD..

And I, for one like watching the fish channel, very relaxing at times.. but could live without 999...

These are not exactly objective choices. How about "I watch them both but don't tell anyone about it." or "I watch them both while standing on my head so does that count?" or "Both channels can stay but get rid of the guy conducting this poll."

Total Recall: Poll is unsuitable for viewer interest...

Tvlman said:
These are not exactly objective choices. How about "I watch them both but don't tell anyone about it." or "I watch them both while standing on my head so does that count?" or "Both channels can stay but get rid of the guy conducting this poll."
Finally I can vote on this poll. I'll vote for the 3rd suggestion "Both channels can stay but get rid of the guy conducting this poll"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)