Keep the DPP44?

jeff_k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Diego, CA
Dish provided me a DPP44 for connection from my Dish1000 to 2 VIP622's and another receiver (I forget which one). I assume they will take the DPP44 back when they install my 2 hopper/ 1 joey setup this week. Is there a reason to argue to keep it?

So for a third hopper, you need a separate solo or duo node off the other set of outputs of the DPP?
If you have that third hopper, does it get shared with the other 2? What is the proper way to connect the third hopper to the internet to be able to see its DVR content from the rest?
Thanks, Jeff

Halo, thanks for the diagram - but it does not answer the question about networking, since the network connections are not shown. Do you have something that clarifies?
Thanks, Jeff

Third hopper has to be completely isolated from the other 2 including the Internet network. If not it will crash the whole thing. The system is not designed to support 3 hoppers. I know this for a fact, I tried it.

No the third Hopper is connected via the MoCA so no the third Hopper is not isolated.

I'll explain more when I get a chance later.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Halo, thanks for the diagram - but it does not answer the question about networking, since the network connections are not shown. Do you have something that clarifies?
Thanks, Jeff

When I made that particular diagram there was no Hopper bridging functionality on the current software at the time. So I had to connect each Hopper separately through Ethernet/wireless. Now that the Hopper has bridging functionality, I simply have 1 Hopper connected via Ethernet and it shares it's Internet connection with all the other receivers via MoCA.

So all you need now is a single Hopper connected, and as long as all receivers are connected to each other through MoCA, bridging can be enabled and the Internet connection is shared between all receivers on the MoCA network. Also, if you can't get Ethernet/WiFi to ANY of your Hoppers for whatever reason, you can use the Hopper Internet Connector to supply Internet connectivity to the MoCA network.

Third hopper has to be completely isolated from the other 2 including the Internet network. If not it will crash the whole thing. The system is not designed to support 3 hoppers. I know this for a fact, I tried it.

When bridging was first introduced in the Hopper software there were many issues with bridge loops and network problems. I remember when S213 was making my Hoppers randomly freeze. This was due to all of the Hoppers having bridging enabled, and at the time I had all of them connected to the Internet as well through their own Ethernet/WiFi connections. This created a networking hell full of bridge loops which caused major instability. Disabling bridging on 2 of the 3 Hoppers rectified the problem however it was not until S221 that things were 100% stable. Now with S222 things are still very stable with 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys connected to each other through MoCA (one of the 2 Joeys is actually connected to WiFi, no coax at all.)

Last edited:
Halo, I finally get it. I didn't notice the MoCA connection between the solo and the duo node earlier today. That is how the 3rd hopper bridges.

Does a hopper have the ability to do the bridging via one of the ethernet ports? In other words, one ethernet port goes to the local network/internet, and the other can be cross-connected to another hopper instead of the MoCA connection (just curious)?

Another question - you show a DPP33 going to a solo node. Could you instead direct-connect a duo node to the DPP44? It would be easier and maybe cheaper if so.

Does a hopper have the ability to do the bridging via one of the ethernet ports? In other words, one ethernet port goes to the local network/internet, and the other can be cross-connected to another hopper instead of the MoCA connection (just curious)?

Unfortunately, no.

Another question - you show a DPP33 going to a solo node. Could you instead direct-connect a duo node to the DPP44? It would be easier and maybe cheaper if so.

How many Hoppers are you talking about? If 3, you need 5 lines coming from the DPP44 and either another cascaded DPP44 or a DPP33. 3 on the DPP44 (power inserter on port 1, cannot share node with power inserter, Duo Node goes on ports 2-4) then you will need 2 more lines run from the cascaded switch to the Solo Node for Hopper #3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)