Keeping Receiver on Standby or Off-Mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi guys , wondering if anybody can give a technical advice when I switch the receiver off , Which is the safe way to keep the receiver on STANDBY or to switch it completely from the MAINS. But as far as I know when the receiver is on STANDBY ( Red lamp is on ) , when I touch the back of the receiver is very hot because the electric current still passes through the coil of the transformer and keep it hot and this will shorten the life of the power supply unit of the receiver . Note that as well switching from the MAIN will result in swiching off the date and time of the receiver and I have to set the date and the time again .
Any thoughts you would have be greatly appreciated .

This isn't technical advice but leaving the unit on standby will not hurt the unit. AVR's designed to stay in that mode just for the reason you stated. Unless you have your AVR in a totally enclosed space that does not get any airflow you should not have a problem leaving it in standby.

From a non-technical technical point of view (i'm an EE grad at uni) - but dont take my advice for gospel.....

Everytime you switch an electrical appliance on, it gets a slight surge. This is nothing bad, but over time the effects of this can cause damage. It's only something that happens very infrequently anyway. Also, the fact that by switching it off, it is allowed to constantly expand (with the heat) and then contract (with cold as it's off), it *could* cause solder joints to start to break.

This is all worst case stuff tho, so as I said, don't take it as a 'oh no, I'd better leave it on' kinda thing

:)

Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)