Keeping snow off dish

What if you wipe the dirt and Pam off after winter and re apply. Would Pam be better then? It seems to have a thicker layer to keep the non stick on which is why the dirt issue. Anyone try Pam on one side of the dish and rainx on the other? Then we would know.

Not really a solution. Water droplets in the air can attenuate the signal before it ever reaches the dish.

Not really a solution. Water droplets in the air can attenuate the signal before it ever reaches the dish.

Actually, it would help. The amplification or "gain" of a "dish" antenna is related to the area of the reflector. So, even though water attenuates the signal, you are reflecting more signal toward the LNBs due to the larger area. Doubling the diameter would increase the signal at the LNB something like fourfold (sorry, don't have my antenna book handy for the exact #).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This topic is common on this site. Search around a bit. I believe the general consensus is that it doesn't really help. Others, more technically knowledgeable than I, explain it better.

This topic is common on this site. Search around a bit. I believe the general consensus is that it doesn't really help. Others, more technically knowledgeable than I, explain it better.
It really doesn't matter what is the "general consensus" here, most people here are not EE. Viggen61 is 100% correct only if the location of the LNB is specifically designed for that specific larger dish. You cannot simple replace your original dish with any larger dish without repositioning the LNB and expect any signal improvements. Now, there may be some extreme storm conditions that no mater what size of dish you may have, you still may not have any acceptable signal.

I've read up about this in the past, but haven't really followed up in it for a couple of years. How do you guys keep the snow off your dishes? I had to climb up the ladder the other day to clear mine already. It's usually 2-3 times a year that I have to do that.

I know there was some talk about black dishes for a while, but I believe that was a short lived test and they never really took off. I've also heard of people waxing their dishes. I wish I could remember, but someone posted about some new space age polymer lubricant that came in a spray can that wasn't out yet (but should be by now).

I've also been thinking of doing the heated pad/cable and running a cord down the back of my siding and just plugging it in the few times I need it.

Anyone have any good suggestions for me, or can you point me in the right direction for a vendor/website that I could check out some products? Thanks in advance
I've read up about this in the past, but haven't really followed up in it for a couple of years. How do you guys keep the snow off your dishes? I had to climb up the ladder the other day to clear mine already. It's usually 2-3 times a year that I have to do that.

I know there was some talk about black dishes for a while, but I believe that was a short lived test and they never really took off. I've also heard of people waxing their dishes. I wish I could remember, but someone posted about some new space age polymer lubricant that came in a spray can that wasn't out yet (but should be by now).

I've also been thinking of doing the heated pad/cable and running a cord down the back of my siding and just plugging it in the few times I need it.

Anyone have any good suggestions for me, or can you point me in the right direction for a vendor/website that I could check out some products? Thanks in advance

DishArmor.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)