Ken Burns Baseball series 10th inning

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
This is coming on tonight on my local PBS. It picks up where the 9th inning of course leaves off and leads up to now minus a couple years.

This is coming on tonight on my local PBS. It picks up where the 9th inning of course leaves off and leads up to now minus a couple years.
I've been looking forward to this, I'll get my DVR warmed up.......thanks for the reminder! :up

yes
tonight is "top of the 10th" and tomorrow is "bottom of the 10th"

from the guide tonight is from 94 and the strike and the havoc afterwards and tomorrow is mainly the end and steroids in baseball

edit: from zap2it

tonight
In 1994 a strike forces the cancellation of the World Series; the sport of baseball rebuilds itself with new stadiums and players from Latin America.

tomorrow
Boston Red Sox win the World Series after 86 years; Barry Bonds crushes Mark McGwire's home run record; steroids cast a shadow on the game.

Gary Hoenig saying that if the players from 1920's to the 1950's had the chance to take steroids they would have. Who knows if they would have. But the records of old are more special because they didn't. It was all talent then. And Chris Rock saying who wouldn't take a pill to make more money at work . Not sure what kind of message that sends to our young people. Not everyone did even during the last 20 years. Some played the game without them. I'm hoping they will give credit to the players who did play without them in part 2.

Gary Hoenig saying that if the players from 1920's to the 1950's had the chance to take steroids they would have. Who knows if they would have. But the records of old are more special because they didn't. It was all talent then. And Chris Rock saying who wouldn't take a pill to make more money at work . Not sure what kind of message that sends to our young people. Not everyone did even during the last 20 years. Some played the game without them. I'm hoping they will give credit to the players who did play without them in part 2.
They did an entire piece on Cal Ripken last night. I'd say he played clean.

They did an entire piece on Cal Ripken last night. I'd say he played clean.
Yes. One Player. But they need to do better then that. And wasn't it more about him going above the rest of the players and being a good will ambassador to the game playing every day?

I recorded last night's 10th inning part 2. I am VERY looking forward to it.
Salsa, I recommend not watching part 2 until you record and watch a repeat of part 1. I'm sure there will be one on PBS this week or next. Part 1 does and excellent job of setting up what's coming about Bonds in part 2. :up

Remarks like that frustrate me to no end. I know in today's world we are told there is a lot of gray however, there is a right and a wrong. To suggest that people would always give into doing the wrong thing to improve an aspect of their life is insulting.

Remarks like that frustrate me to no end. I know in today's world we are told there is a lot of gray however, there is a right and a wrong. To suggest that people would always give into doing the wrong thing to improve an aspect of their life is insulting.
Carton Fisk really ripped into some of the players . Fisk was a true protector of the game and once got mad at someone who put a dollar sign in the dirt before he batted. He also went after Dion Sanders for not running to first base on a pop up.

McGwire said he believes steroids did not inflate his home run totals and that he took them to heal faster from injuries, which allowed him to remain in the lineup."That's a crock," Fisk told the Tribune. "There's a reason they call it performance-enhancing drugs. That's what it does -- performance enhancement. You can be good, but it's going to make you better. You can be average, but it is going to make you good. If you are below average, it is going to make you average. Some guys who went that route got their five-year, $35 million contracts and now are off into the sunset somewhere. Because once they can't use [steroids] anymore, they can't play anymore.

Salsa, I recommend not watching part 2 until you record and watch a repeat of part 1. I'm sure there will be one on PBS this week or next. Part 1 does and excellent job of setting up what's coming about Bonds in part 2. :up

too late!:( I never got a chance to see part one nor a chance to record. But I must admit, part 2 was VERY good. Looking at part two and all the talk of PEDs, the owners NEVER we give as much flack as they SHOULD have gotten. BUT, that is what happens when you have an owner running the MLB office.:rant::rolleyes:

That ALL depends in the situation people are in. I am sure there are many people in ALL walks of life that done the wrong things for the right reasons. As much as Chris Rock cannot ASSUME that people WOULD do it....YOU nor I can ASSUME that we wouldn't because we nor Chris Rock know what situation we would be in at that time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)