Ken Burns Baseball series 10th inning

too late!:( I never got a chance to see part one nor a chance to record. But I must admit, part 2 was VERY good. Looking at part two and all the talk of PEDs, the owners NEVER we give as much flack as they SHOULD have gotten. BUT, that is what happens when you have an owner running the MLB office.:rant::rolleyes:
How could the owners be blamed for what the players put into themselves? The Union fought any drug testing for years.

How could the owners be blamed for what the players put into themselves? The Union fought any drug testing for years.

The owners KNEW it was happening.....they even discussed it when talking trades, arbitration and free agent signings....as stated in the special. But when the HR glory was happening...they didn't give a sh** because ALL they saw was CHA-CHING!!!!

IF you do not report the crime and just ignore it...turn your face and state you 'don't wanna get involved'...you are almost as guilty as the criminal....;)

The owners KNEW it was happening.....they even discussed it when talking trades, arbitration and free agent signings....as stated in the special. But when the HR glory was happening...they didn't give a sh** because ALL they saw was CHA-CHING!!!!

IF you do not report the crime and just ignore it...turn your face and state you 'don't wanna get involved'...you are almost as guilty as the criminal....;)
I would agree if the owners told them to start using it. They didn't . The players who used steroids did it to themselves.

They didn't...but they cannot sit there an pretend they are innocent victims because just sitting there and doing NOTHING, they basically gave them permission.
Thankfully I have old videos to prove you wrong. Donald Fehr fought every drug-testing plan pushed by the owners. First it was for Cocaine and other drugs , then it was steroids. In fact, Fehr has admitted his union should have agreed to testing before it did, steroids surely will tarnish some of the good work he did. He said this on the record. If Fehr had started the testing when MLB asked for it many might have been caught .

Thankfully I have old videos to prove you wrong. Donald Fehr fought every drug-testing plan pushed by the owners. First it was for Cocaine and other drugs , then it was steroids. In fact, Fehr has admitted his union should have agreed to testing before it did, steroids surely will tarnish some of the good work he did. He said this on the record. If Fehr had started the testing when MLB asked for it many might have been caught .

He fought tooth and nail because he was not going to change a contract between the owners and players right in the middle of it. THAT is what a lawyer is supposed to do.

The Ken Burns special stated that last night....

He fought tooth and nail because he was not going to change a contract between the owners and players right in the middle of it. THAT is what a lawyer is supposed to do.

The Ken Burns special stated that last night....

Do you know what year the Owners first asked for drug testing?

I would not be surprised right after they signed the contract after there was no World Series in mid to late '90s.
For Cocaine and other drugs they first tried back in 1985 and 1986 stories came out about the New York Mets.

As for owners wanting the home run ball to help attendance that's not correct. Peter Magowan said "I've never in 12 years gone to an owners meeting and heard a discussion on how to market the game better which said, 'Let's have more home runs in the game.' " In fact some of the best games are low scoring games.

That ALL depends in the situation people are in. I am sure there are many people in ALL walks of life that done the wrong things for the right reasons. As much as Chris Rock cannot ASSUME that people WOULD do it....YOU nor I can ASSUME that we wouldn't because we nor Chris Rock know what situation we would be in at that time.

So, what you are saying, it is OK to do something wrong, illegal,or cheat, it just depends on the situation?

Maybe I am not understanding, so please give me an example of doing something wrong for the right reason so i can understand what you are talking about.

Carton Fisk really ripped into some of the players . Fisk was a true protector of the game and once got mad at someone who put a dollar sign in the dirt before he batted. He also went after Dion Sanders for not running to first base on a pop up.

McGwire said he believes steroids did not inflate his home run totals and that he took them to heal faster from injuries, which allowed him to remain in the lineup."That's a crock," Fisk told the Tribune. "There's a reason they call it performance-enhancing drugs. That's what it does -- performance enhancement. You can be good, but it's going to make you better. You can be average, but it is going to make you good. If you are below average, it is going to make you average. Some guys who went that route got their five-year, $35 million contracts and now are off into the sunset somewhere. Because once they can't use [steroids] anymore, they can't play anymore.

While I do believe PED's did allow those to become stronger, quicker, heal faster and easier and they did add to the Home Run totals of many players. during this time frame, I am left with a question. Could those drugs actually improve ones batting average? No matter how far you can hit the ball you still have to make contact which only the greats one's do 3/10 times.

While I do believe PED's did allow those to become stronger, quicker, heal faster and easier and they did add to the Home Run totals of many players. during this time frame, I am left with a question. Could those drugs actually improve ones batting average? No matter how far you can hit the ball you still have to make contact which only the greats one's do 3/10 times.

Yeah but how many home runs or hits would have been outs without them. They used them for a reason knowing the risk . And they also healed faster from injuries.

ALL you have to do is look at the list in the report. More than HALF of the players listed, did not improve their totals.

Yeah but how many home runs or hits would have been outs without them. They used them for a reason knowing the risk . And they also healed faster from injuries.

...which also lead to playing a couple of years longer than they could have.

Therefore adding more money in the pockets. IF you were use to a certain lifetyle.... you will do hat you can to continue that lifestyle.

...it is what it is.

Steriods: Those who say anything other than those who commited major drug felonies in taking them live in a fantasy world in order the cheat. Hitting a baseball is really not that hard. Hitting a baseball where a fielder is not is the most difficult thing in the world.

Fehr: Steroids can either be illegal or mandatory. Fehr and his so-called union stood up for the cheaters and not the honest. Not much different from a pilots union standing up for drunk pilots, rather than for the 99% who are sober. A legitimate union, in addition to bargaining in good faith on wages, would have asked for 5000 tests if the owners only wanted 2.

Selig: Either knew, or should have known. Either crooked or stupid. A footnote in history.

Show: Followed the typical formula of the original series, but had too much video and spent too much time on liberalism's home teams, the Red Sox and the Giants. Got sidetracked on steroids and did not talk about the fundamentally broken economic system, the seas of empty seats in Miami, Tampa and elesewhere, or the social impact (although it did mention the statistic) of a sport converting in 10 years from one where a player made twice what an ordinary person did to one where he made 1000 times that.

The salaries went skyrocketing in the late 70's and early 80's. Now the bench players make a min of about 1 million which is 25 times what a avg (40k) normal person makes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)