Ken Griffey Jr. announces his retirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
To me, he's like a modern-day Mickey Mantle- a great career that could have become even greater beyond belief if not for injuries cutting him down.

Like the Mick, when he was healthy and could play day in and day out, he was an amazing player.

yup, if healthy he would of had alot more HR's then Bonds finished with.

Yes he would have shattered it, he finished with 630 and if you look at what he missed with injuries he missed a few total seasons

yup, if healthy he would of had alot more HR's than Aaron finished with.

Corrected your post for you. The entire saga of seeing if KGJr could last long enough to break Aaron's record, and the bittersweet sadness of his coming up just short due to injury, perhaps paralel in some way to Mays coming up just short of Ruth and Aaron due to missing years in military service, is just another thing that the steroid cheats, and those who defend them, stole from us all.

"The Kid" was one of my favorite players growing up. He had one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen. He was also an exciting outfielder and made tons of tremendous, acrobatic catches throughout his career. But what I respect most about Junior, was that he played the game the right way!

Congrats on a great career Junior. And thank you for the memories!!!

PS. I will be changing my avatar to pay tribute to a ballplayer who meant so much to me as an impressionable youth from the late 80's-90's.

Great career and not even a whisper of steroid use. It is a shame he spent so much time injured while in Cincy.

Great career and not even a whisper of steroid use. It is a shame he spent so much time injured while in Cincy.

YEP. And it showed more or less the natural procession of a major league baseball player. As like in the 40s, 50s and 60s era....as you got later in the 30s, their body and skills diminished. Unlike Bonds, Clemens and others.

The true crime will be that somewhere down the road, when those of us who saw Griffey play are no longer around to tell the young'uns about him, he and his stats will be recognized as playing in the 'Steroids Era'.

Sandra

Ken Griffey Jr. calls it a career.

So long to one of the best I've ever seen play the game. Too bad injuries robbed him of his chance at the rightful ownership of the all-time HR record. Class act through and through. Thanks for entertaining me Ken.

Watched his dad play at Riverfront, and saw him hit his 400th HR at Coors Field. I even got a Cincy shirt to commemorate the event on a trip back home that summer! Very cool!

A "clean" player who puts all those juicers to shame. Too bad he couldn't surpass their "achievements".

Thanks Junior!

I watched the game last night and when I stopped in to watch it between Periods of the Hockey game I saw the message on the screen. From what I was able to get out of the game. It is clear that what ever the writer of the Tacoma Tribune said had an affect on his enjoying playing the game. This also resulted in much less playing time for him. The handwriting was on the wall. I thought he would make it through the season, but I'm not completly shocked he left when he did. I agree he will be missed and is almost a sure bet to be a first ballet hall of famer.

"The Kid" was one of my favorite players growing up. He had one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen. He was also an exciting outfielder and made tons of tremendous, acrobatic catches throughout his career. But what I respect most about Junior, was that he played the game the right way!

Congrats on a great career Junior. And thank you for the memories!!!

PS. I will be changing my avatar to pay tribute to a ballplayer who meant so much to me as an impressionable youth from the late 80's-90's.

When I was a kid, he was the most sought out player (along with Frank Thomas) and collected his cards the most. By the way, I have that 1989 UpperDeck rookie card that is shown in yoru avatar (have the whole set except for one common card). That card is very iconic (kind of like Mantle's RC) and was the most valuable for a good while back in it's day.

When I was a kid, he was the most sought out player (along with Frank Thomas) and collected his cards the most. By the way, I have that 1989 UpperDeck rookie card that is shown in yoru avatar (have the whole set except for one common card). That card is very iconic (kind of like Mantle's RC) and was the most valuable for a good while back in it's day.

Please DO NOT put Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey in the same sentence together. I met Griffey on a couple of occassions and was a very nice guy. Frank Thomas, on the other, was covered sports wise by the group I worked for in Chicago in the 90s and was one of THE biggest a$$ho*** I have EVER met in my life and quite frankly as bad if not WORSE than Barry Bonds!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts