Ken Griffey Jr. announces his retirement

When I was a kid, he was the most sought out player (along with Frank Thomas) and collected his cards the most. By the way, I have that 1989 UpperDeck rookie card that is shown in yoru avatar (have the whole set except for one common card). That card is very iconic (kind of like Mantle's RC) and was the most valuable for a good while back in it's day.

Yeah, I had the Griffey Upper Deck RC too. Collecting cards back in the day was so much fun. Griffey Jr. was definitely one of the hottest commodities when trading!

I agree, they are no where's near the same caliber of player.

Well....OTHER than that...Thomas was a classless douchebag that thought he was in a class all by himself. I would say without hesistation, Barry Bonds was Ghandi, compared to this sub-human, worm-like species.....

Yeah, I had the Griffey Upper Deck RC too. Collecting cards back in the day was so much fun. Griffey Jr. was definitely one of the hottest commodities when trading!

I still have it and about 125,000 other fire starters. :D Card collecting just isn't the same as back when I was doing it.

...Card collecting just isn't the same as back when I was doing it.
Coin collecting isn't. either. We used to check all of our pennies, and every once in a while, we'd find one with an "S" mint mark, it sometimes was worth close to a dime. Buffalo nickels were still around, as were Mercury dimes.

I attended a grade school with no playground and no basketball hoop. Basically, we had only three sports: scaling baseball cards against the wall, marbles (our variant of it, where we were pitching and shoving into a small hole), and beating the sh*t out of each other. We also would clip the cards to our bicycle fender's support so they would flap against the spokes. I was a school where about a quarter of the kids were going to quit school when they turned sixteen, but they couldn't possibly have realized that because they didn't know what two-digit numbers were.

When I mention that Frank Thomas was also collectible back then, I was meaning the value of their cards were equal. Before I quit collecting I did notice that Frank's cards went down in their value and later on had went down more while Griffey's stayed the same. Back in 1994 I remember Collector's Choice had a contest which allowed a fan to be on a card with Ken Griffey Jr.

When I mention that Frank Thomas was also collectible back then, I was meaning the value of their cards were equal. Before I quit collecting I did notice that Frank's cards went down in their value and later on had went down more while Griffey's stayed the same. Back in 1994 I remember Collector's Choice had a contest which allowed a fan to be on a card with Ken Griffey Jr.

I remember that contest. I quit collecting after the 1995 season.

I remember that contest. I quit collecting after the 1995 season.

What, just because you weren't the chosen fan ;) :D

Collecting got quite expensive. I quit collecting back in 1996/1997. I had to make a decision, continue using my money to buy ball cards to save up for a car. I chose the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts