Kiefer Sutherland will play Snake in 'Metal Gear Solid 5'

I dunno.. David Hayter made that voice HIS.. and while I'm not one that demands that a character never changes, it's just weird. It's weird to hear Jack Bauer's voice come out of Solid Snake.

Hayter said it'll be a good game without him, kinda like New Coke.

We'll see. I think they should have gone after a new, unknown actor, as opposed to getting another established guy who has his own style and cadence that many of us are familiar with. Sadly though good business decisions haven't been Konami's forte as of late, although this is probably more a Hideo Kojima decision than theirs..

Last edited:
We'll see. I think they should have gone after a new, unknown actor, as opposed to getting another established guy who has his own style and cadence that many of us are familiar with. Sadly though good business decisions haven't been Konami's forte as of late, although this is probably more a Hideo Kojima decision than theirs..

It seems to be an increasing trend getting Hollywood actors with name recognition to voice video games. Look at Beyond Two Souls with Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe getting "above the title" billing. I recently played Sleeping Dogs, and couldn't believe it when I saw Emma Stone and Tom Wilkinson's names listed in the opening credits, albeit in smallish roles. I've only started gaming this generation, so maybe it's been going on for a while, but it reminds me of how more and more film actors are turning to doing TV shows these days.

By the way, I've never played an MGS game, but Kiefer might get me to bite on the next installment, provided I won't be totally lost story-wise, as I guess I would've been if I had tried to play MGS4.

Last edited:
It seems to be an increasing trend getting Hollywood actors with name recognition to voice video games. Look at Beyond Two Souls with Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe getting "above the title" billing. I recently played Sleeping Dogs, and couldn't believe it when I saw Emma Stone and Tom Wilkinson's names listed in the opening credits, albeit in smallish roles. I've only started gaming this generation, so maybe it's been going on for a while, but it reminds me of how more and more film actors are turning to doing TV shows these days.

By the way, I've never played an MGS game, but Kiefer might get me to bite on the next installment, provided I won't be totally lost story-wise, as I guess I would've been if I had tried to play MGS4.
Well it should be noted that David Hayter isn't just some random voice-over guy. He actually is an accomplished writer in Hollywood, having written the first 2 X-Men movies, Watchmen, and some others, as well as other prominent voice over work. It's just that fans of the series have grown so accustomed to his voice as Solid Snake that swapping it out with a guy like Kiefer Sutherland is quite jarring. And this isn't a knock on Kiefer either, as he was great as Jack Bauer and also has done some video game work, most notably as Jack in the 24 game and Sgt. Roebuck in Call of Duty 5 (World At War.) I just feel though that with him at the helm and with them having him doing motion capture that it's going to feel like "Metal Gear Solid 24" if you know what I mean. But hey, I'm always open for being surprised.

Didnt Solid Snake "retire" from old age or is this a reboot? The Original Metal Gear (NES) was the first non-reflex game that I finished. Snake's Revenge being the 2nd. Then came along Metal Gear Solid, MSG2 and so-on. Never played the "prequel" games on gamecube (IIRC, Snake Eater and something else).

AM sure you all know, Michael Biehn was the inspiration for the Snake character... but I agree Hayter IS the voice of snake. Kinda like replacing NBA's Chick Hearns with Micheal Buffer (both are great at what they do, but replacing Hayter,.. I dont know).

Cheers, K

Dunno about that one. Snake Plisken, like Michael Corleone and Luke Skywalker are characters that should never be recast. If the studio heads are redoing Escape, then do it w/ new characters.

Didnt Solid Snake "retire" from old age or is this a reboot? The Original Metal Gear (NES) was the first non-reflex game that I finished. Snake's Revenge being the 2nd. Then came along Metal Gear Solid, MSG2 and so-on. Never played the "prequel" games on gamecube (IIRC, Snake Eater and something else).

AM sure you all know, Michael Biehn was the inspiration for the Snake character...
This game takes place in 1984, so it's still in Snake's lifetime when he's in his late 40s. Also I don't think Snake himself was inspired by Michael Beihn. Yes I realize that on the cover of the game it's basically Kyle Reese from The Terminator, but it appears that the character has inspiration from all sorts of different places.
Source

Edit: Updated with proper dates.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts