King Dome #9704LP + 211k Receiver

Chasmo

Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Henderson, NV
I have a King Dome #9704LP and recently subscribed to Dish Network and got a ViP221k receiver. My dome is only connecting to the #119 satelitte. Does my receiver need a software update to get the #110 satellite? I have tried talking with tech support to determine how I select the #110 satellite. The trouble shoot guide show that the receiver should have a "SW21" installed device in the setup menu. One of the techs that I spoke with indicated that this was a software update, and told me I needed to take it back to the installing dealer to get this download. I told them I perfered not to take it back since they only wanted to sell me a new antenna.

How do I get the second satellite (i.e. #110)

Your 222k most certainly does not need an update to handle an SW21 switch! Your King Dome might need an upgrade, however.

I'll look up your model number and see what I can find out...

According to the King Dome PDF installation manual:

The King-Dome is factory pre-set for DIRECTV standard digital programming broadcast from the 101° W satellite.

If you also receive your local channels from DIRECTV’s 119 satellite or if you subscribe to Dish Network or Bell TV programming, you must re-configure the antenna to work with your satellite service. Doing this will allow the King-Dome to lock on the correct satellites to receive your programming and also enable automatic satellite switching via the receiver’s remote control for multi-satellite service.

Was this ever done?

Last edited:
I was told by the technican that it was done. The tech said he had performed all the trouble shooting steps as outlined in the document. He got to the part where he was referred to contacting KingDome. He placed the call into KingDome but after roughly 2 days they never contacted him. I think they basically wanted to get my unit out of the service bay after having it tied up for 2 days. He was using a Keypad #1844 for configuration and diagnostics. My antenna is equiped wih the #9754 series type controller. It shows in the documentation that satellite switching can be accomplished by pressing the remote and selecting menu at pressing 6, 1, 1, and highlight 'TEST' when test is complete, "SW21" appears as the installed device, and thre must be no 'x's in the indicated columns. I have tried multiple times to contact Dish support to learn about how I get the "SW21" to appear. They give me the impression that the docs are old or don't apply. One tech told me this was accomplished by a download, but I have never been able to verify this. I not sure why this is so difficult to get correct instructions or docs.

If the King Dome is correctly acting as an SW21, then your 211k (after a check switch) would indeed show "SW21".

Just for grins, you might try clearing the 211k's switch matrix by unplugging the cable to the King Dome, running the check switch (Test) again, and saving the result. Reconnect, run check switch again, and see if the situation improves. If not, I'd say the King Dome has not really been configured for Dish Network.

I will certainly give this a try. I won't be able to get to my storage area until next week. I truly appreciate you assistance and advise. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts