Know this about a Windows 7 Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Really. 6 Gigabytes of RAM and Windows 7 sucks down all but 57 MB? Really.

:D I see the caching; I see the 3 GB "Available". So, what's the difference between "Available" and "Free"?

Also, I assume you went with the 64-bit version of Win7.

You had me there for a second. :D

BUT those stats are for the desktop (which I did the upgrade on yesterday).

Really. 6 Gigabytes of RAM and Windows 7 sucks down all but 57 MB? Really.

:D I see the caching; I see the 3 GB "Available". So, what's the difference between "Available" and "Free"?

Also, I assume you went with the 64-bit version of Win7.

Windows keeps a ram cache of recently accessed files until the memory is needed by a program. This way if you click on a program it could already be completely in memory. It can reuse the pages instantely since the cache has already been written to disk (well it writes to disk as soon as it can, so most likely all is on the disk). There is no net harm using all the available memory if most of it is a read cache since it can go to use as program memory or you could get lucky and access the same data and it is in cache waiting for you.

LOL I make errors like that all the time. I catch grief about it too. It happens to all of us. Love Win7 so far. I got it loaded on my laptop and workstation at work. Grabbed it off our MS software site for a full version.

LOL I make errors like that all the time. I catch grief about it too. It happens to all of us. Love Win7 so far. I got it loaded on my laptop and workstation at work. Grabbed it off our MS software site for a full version.

I know, I was just in a cranky mood when I posted. Should have ignored it. :)

I also love W7; if I could only get the IT idiots at my work to upgrade my machine. The machine is capable, but the IT staff isn't. :)

I also love W7; if I could only get the IT idiots at my work to upgrade my machine. The machine is capable, but the IT staff isn't. :)
Don't blame the IT Staff; they have to follow the CIO/Head of IT lead on this.

Our company, like many, passed on Vista so I expected pretty quick action now that Win7 has been released. Nope. The official decision from Global IT to support / upgrade to Windows 7 will be made by mid-2010. Maybe.

Don't blame the IT Staff; they have to follow the CIO/Head of IT lead on this.

Our company, like many, passed on Vista so I expected pretty quick action now that Win7 has been released. Nope. The official decision from Global IT to support / upgrade to Windows 7 will be made by mid-2010. Maybe.

Nope, I can blame the IT Idiots. At the University level, IT is supporting W7 with open-arms. It is the college-level staff. And to be honest, the guy we have for support, truly is an idiot. That's why I use the word. Actually both of the people at the college level are.

When I got my machine last year, it came with Vista; the moron assigned to our department reimaged it with XP, because he didn't want to deal with Vista. I was pissed.

As a result, to even do the upgrade, I'll need to do a clean install. Which, is probably worth it. Honestly, I'll contact a guy at the university level, and have him send me the install disc, and I'll do it myself. :D

I did a clean install on my HTPC. It was a breeze and it just moves all your old files to a separate folder. Cut/pasted my DVD files and Photos and I was done. Not a big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts