ku/cband circular/linear

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proximal

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
east coast
Is ku band circular or linear or both,...cband? Believe it or not after spending 3wks looking for a feedhorn researching etc etc I have to ask this, Seems like the more I dig the deeper the hole gets with less answers each time. Isn't ku still ku/band no matter who sells it and doesn't it still do the same as the competitiors? Cband also. I ended up with a feedhorn I won't name cause I compare it to a campbell's soup can with a dielectric plate which was suggested. I only see this plate and me laying on the ground in the very near future. Don't somebody make a feedhorn yet that doesn't have to use a plate? Chapparel and ADL seem like high quality stuff...Anyone got any exp with either of these 2 company products? I felt it was time to join you guys. I have enjoyed reading your posts for awhile now. Thanks

Ku band has both circular and linear signals. I believe C band has only linear. This is not a mystery. Simply consult lyngsat.com and you can see the polarity of every transponder on every satellite.

I have the chapparel linear ku +cband and I have the Chapparel circulare lineare I use long time ago on same intelsats from 53 west and not working very good .the signal on lineare no good.Ok on the circulare but very bed signal on the lineare.And c band did have same signalls on the atlantic birds circulare.the best are one dish for circulare one for lineare. circulare and lineare at same time on the free to air don't working good .I have the circulare but I dont uze like I said no good signall on the lineare feeds.Now the atantic birds don't have signals on the circulare band for nort america on the old days yes.And from the 55.5 west to 139 west don't need circulare for free to air no feeds .

Last edited:
All the CONUS satellites will be linear, both C (3700 - 4200Mhz) and Ku (11700 - 12200Mhz). Some C band satellites out over the Atlantic, receivable in N.A., use circular. The two US pay services* predominantly use a slightly higher frequency (12200 - 12750) and use circular. If your C band feed throat has the dielectric plate installed, it's set up for Circular. Just remove it for linear(if possible). Sat info from lyngsat.com/america.html - lyngsat.com/atlantic.html will show the polarity as V or H (linear) or L - R (circular) with the frequency.
Hey, :welcome to SatelliteGuys

Ku band has both circular and linear signals. I believe C band has only linear. This is not a mystery. Simply consult lyngsat.com and you can see the polarity of every transponder on every satellite.

Yes I'm aware of lyngsat but it really don't do much in helping choose a good feedhorn, I think the mystery for me is where will I get the most for my money as in feedhorn. My first big dish was installed professionally so I didn't get into it that much and a long story short it wasn't much good after the fire we had so I didn't get a chance to learn much about it. This one I got from a neighbor for free and while it is in pretty nice condition actually, the actuator and the feedhorn surely needs updating. Picking out the right one the first time around would probally have saved me money rather than go through a list of mistakes sense my choices may not be the best ones with limited experience in the 7.5ft dish systems. So far I'm pretty confident in saying I made a poor choice costing me roughly $60 because no way this thing I bought is gonna last very long but than again it will probally outlast me since I will end up falling trying to insert or take out the die plate lol. The old one that was on it was a chapparel, dam that thing looks rugged, that I believe is cband and the more I read people seem to want alittle of both worlds these days.

I have the chapparel linear ku +cband and I have the Chapparel circulare lineare I use long time ago on same intelsats from 53 west and not working very good .the signal on lineare no good.Ok on the circulare but very bed signal on the lineare.And c band did have same signalls on the atlantic birds circulare.the best are one dish for circulare one for lineare. circulare and lineare at same time on the free to air don't working good .I have the circulare but I dont uze like I said no good signall on the lineare feeds.Now the atantic birds don't have signals on the circulare band for nort america on the old days yes.And from the 55.5 west to 139 west don't need circulare for free to air no feeds .

Well are you saying no feeds from 55.5W-139W cause thats the only location I really got to shoot at?

All the CONUS satellites will be linear, both C (3700 - 4200Mhz) and Ku (11700 - 12200Mhz). Some C band satellites out over the Atlantic, receivable in N.A., use circular. The two US pay services* predominantly use a slightly higher frequency (12200 - 12750) and use circular. If your C band feed throat has the dielectric plate installed, it's set up for Circular. Just remove it for linear(if possible). Sat info from lyngsat.com/america.html - lyngsat.com/atlantic.html will show the polarity as V or H (linear) or L - R (circular) with the frequency.
I hate to sound stupid but are you saying cband is (3700 - 4200Mhz)?
and Ku (11700 - 12200Mhz)?
For the sake of learning you say "The two US pay services* predominantly use a slightly higher frequency (12200 - 12750) and use circular".. circular what cband? kuband? or is there another band I'm missing...Gee I should be working on a model T...
So is it like cyberham said "Ku band has both circular and linear signals"??

Well now you got me wondering what exactly was the old chapparel feedhorn on here, the lnb said california amp mag7. Its got some type of switch on it with 2-3 wires

Last edited:
what exactly was the old chapparel feedhorn
It was, with 99.9% certainty, a C band linear feed, servo operated for polarity. Today, the latest technology is an LNBF. Where nothing is mechanically moved, to select polarity, by a servo. There's two "probes" in an LNBF 90° offset from each other. One for each polarity, V and H, selected by the FTA receiver by changing the voltage supplied to the LNBF (in the coax to the LNBF)
>> The two US pay services* predominantly use a slightly higher frequency (12200 - 12750) and use circular".. circular what cband? << 12200 to 12750 (Mhz) is upper Ku band.
Predominant USA FTA "Bands" C = 3700 to 4200 Mhz (3.7 to 4.2Ghz - gigahertz) Linear polarity.
Ku = 11700 to 12200Mhz (11.7 to 12.2Ghz) Also linear polarity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)