Ku dish and StarChoice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
North of the TwinCities
Sort of OT. I know a few people on the boards here have BEV in states and with the recent card change it has made it impossible to receive anything but basic channels (NO HD, ST, or PPV). Is Starchoice the same way as BEV? Can you get premium services if you re based in the States? What type of equipment woudl you need? Could you rig it on the same dish?

Sorry for the questions but I am actually get responses to questions I have had for months.

htguy said:
Sort of OT. I know a few people on the boards here have BEV in states and with the recent card change it has made it impossible to receive anything but basic channels (NO HD, ST, or PPV). Is Starchoice the same way as BEV? Can you get premium services if you re based in the States? What type of equipment woudl you need? Could you rig it on the same dish?

most brokers will send you the new card. I have EVu but no movie channels. EVu is changing their encryption and started swapping cards with the NFL package people, then HD, then movies, and then everyone else. the new receivers have the newer card in it already

Starchoice doesnt use a card. You can get whatever you want in the states. you can get the movie package if you wanted. You can even get NFL ST..I'm debating getting that. But with 5-7 games a week on Global, its a poor mans NFL ST :)

The dish is a minimum 60cm eliptical dish. For MN and most of the US, a 75cm dish is recommended. They use KU band technology. I am getting my StarChoice in a day or so and get to install it..oh joy :)

okay. i was under the impression that you had to have a canadian tel# to receive premium services from BEV. So they don't require a land line phone connection? Please post a comparison of the StarChoice SD compared to your SD now when you get a chance. i hear alot of raves about Starchoices SD picture.

htguy said:
okay. i was under the impression that you had to have a canadian tel# to receive premium services from BEV. So they don't require a land line phone connection? Please post a comparison of the StarChoice SD compared to your SD now when you get a chance. i hear alot of raves about Starchoices SD picture.

GOD NO!!! Dont plug it into the phone line!! EVER!!!
No PPV ordering. They have premium movie package, but you don't need a phone line for that.

3 things to remember if you have EVu or SC in US
-DONT EVER CALL THEM ON THE 888 #
-DONT PLUG RECEIVER INTO PHONE LINE!
-Dont get 2nd receiver! Especially with EVu. They randomly call the phone number to see if they are in the same house. SC doesnt do that.

Sounds like you have more freedom if you go with SC. does SC have a separate LNB or could you receive programming thru and existing KU LNB? Does the dish have to be elliptical?

SC uses 2 satellites at 107.3 & 111.1. Most of the English stuff is on 107, where the French stuff and HD is on 111. Some new English services are going to 111

You can use 2 30" dishes with KU band LNBF and a 22khz switch to get both satellites. If you want just English stuff, you can use a single dish and KU LNBF at 107.

I was thinking of doing the 2 dish idea, but after thinking about it, I decided on the 75e cm eliptical dish

no problemo!

Once I get my SC up and running (won't be until Monday), I'll do a review of the difference (in the Other Satelite area) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts