Ku LNB For C-Band Question??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I have a DMS ASC511 Ku-LNB that I am using on a California Amplifier C-Ku feedhorn. I am beginning to think that this Ku-Lnb is of poor quality.

When I do a Ku blindscan the frequency that appears on my STB is never what is listed on Lyngsat, Sathint, etc. I have tried a few STB's with the same result.

What would be an acceptable variance on Ku transponders? If I upgrade to a Norsat Ku-LNB should I expect a much better result than the ASC511?

Thanks for reading.

The maximum stability spec is typically +/-3MHz. I would toss a LNB if it is more than 1 or 2MHz off. PLL LNBFs are inexpensive and very stable (usually are under 100KHz). A quality DRO LNB will provide good performance with most transponders.

Reactions: stecle
Scan 97W, Galaxy 19, and post up some of your results.

If the box says 10750, then that should be right.

Usually my receivers don't scan in the exact frequency listed on Sathint, etc, either, it's usually a few MHz off.

If yours is only a few MHz off, it's probably OK, as long as the frequency isn't wandering with temp changes, powering on/off the receiver, etc. I've had a few here that have gone bad, they scan in fine when it's cool outside but then when the sun warmed them up, the channel would go out. Rescan and it would scan in at a different frequency and then at night, when they cooled down, same thing all over again.

If you do change it, I'd go with a PLL like Brian suggested, I get much better performance with the PLL's LNBF's than standard ones. I'm not using a Cal-Amp feedhorn like you are though, so I don't know what LNB would be good for that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.