KU question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fj45lvr

Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I am resurrecting an old c-band dish and and wanted to know some things, I am looking at getting a 4dtv reciever either 920/922 Are 4dtv signals cband or KU??? I know they are digital and use a seperate encryption than small ku dishes.

I was planning on getting a dual feedhorn to play with a slaved fta dvb reciever as well and someone suggested getting NORSAT KU lnb 4206???, I see that I could buy a generic dual band feedhorn or a corotor II does it matter?

I currently have two different cband lnb's a Slimline California Amplifier II that is 25deg noise and an Eagle Turbo that is 30deg. If 4dtv needs cband are one of these usable (I am at about 43deg lat. and 122 deg long.??

I saw a comment somewhere that hbo and cinemax had a weak digital signal? I have a 7.5ft fine meshed dished or could go get my old 10ft. fine meshed dish at my old house (overgrown with blackberrys).

Anyone ever have a reed signal sensor go bad on their actuator? It looks fine but do not know how to test it. I get inconsistant movement of the actuator even after I took the motor off and connected it directly to the IRD.

Here's what I know......

The DSR-922 has more capabilities of receiving the most channels than the other model 4DTV receivers. I also believe that they are the most up to date?? A C-band LNB with a better noise factor wouldn't be a bad idea also. You might consider using the 10-foot dish over the 7.5-foot one. 4DTV signals are harder to pick up than their analog ancestors. The bigger the dish size, the less adjacent noise you'll be getting from other satellites, which will help you with signal quality on picking up 4DTV channels. This is also why I recommend the lower noise factor on a new C-band LNB. This way your signal quality will be the best possible and you won't have to deal with any possible signal dropouts. As far as the other questions are concerned, I'm sure other guys who are more of an expert in the field of these dishes will be glad to help you out.

Yes I see that the 922 picks up two kinds of digicipher II signals and the 920 only picks up one kind. Anyone know if the difference in signals is shown on lyng sat or know if they do actually use both. What kind of lnb then for better reception on Cband 4dtv???

Also it seems you can buy a brand new 922 for $399 and maybe that is better than picking up a used one for only $100 less because of a warranty? Anyone know a history of issues with this unit or how long warranty is good for?

The FCC is mandating all broadcasts be digital by what date? How can the FCC dictate what private industry wants to do with its own equiptment and satellites??

thanks

some more answers.....

NPS is offering a deal on a DSR-922 Motorola 4DTV receiver. See link for details. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=80521

As far as the deal with the FCC goes, that is only for broadcast stations that you pick up OTA by an antenna. That does not apply to anything else. It only states that local affiliate broadcasters must switch from analog transmission to digital transmission by 2006. This does not put any pressure on satellite or cable companies to convert all of their programming from analog to digital. The only reason 4DTV (Digicypher-2) and DVB exist is to make it where transponders are more efficient on the number of channels they can hold. With these technologies, it is possible to cram multiple channels onto a single transponder whereas in the old days of satellite television, you could only receive one channel for each transponder.

The 10' dish would be best. G1 is kind of weak and that sucks because ch3 is where the guide is downloaded. My parents are running an old 35 degree lnb with there 920 and there is no problem. The signal they pull in is better than I get with my Norsat Gold, The key is in tuning up the dish(perfectly round,no dents or tears in the mesh and focal point tuned in). Ku band on the other hand needs hi stability in the lnb electronics. The old cooler is better still aplies but it must be stabil, and the norsat unit is supposed to be the best.I sure wish my dish didn't fall out of the back of my pickup and get all beat up so I could pull in good signals with old cheap lnb"s.

fj45lvr said:
I am resurrecting an old c-band dish and and wanted to know some things, I am looking at getting a 4dtv reciever either 920/922 Are 4dtv signals cband or KU??? I know they are digital and use a seperate encryption than small ku dishes.

I was planning on getting a dual feedhorn to play with a slaved fta dvb reciever as well and someone suggested getting NORSAT KU lnb 4206???, I see that I could buy a generic dual band feedhorn or a corotor II does it matter?

I currently have two different cband lnb's a Slimline California Amplifier II that is 25deg noise and an Eagle Turbo that is 30deg. If 4dtv needs cband are one of these usable (I am at about 43deg lat. and 122 deg long.??

I saw a comment somewhere that hbo and cinemax had a weak digital signal? I have a 7.5ft fine meshed dished or could go get my old 10ft. fine meshed dish at my old house (overgrown with blackberrys).

Anyone ever have a reed signal sensor go bad on their actuator? It looks fine but do not know how to test it. I get inconsistant movement of the actuator even after I took the motor off and connected it directly to the IRD.

Good to hear you will be getting back into the big dish world, there is so much more up there than ever before, go for the NPS 4dtv deal you can't go wrong with that, I would get a 24" Venture arm they work great and the 10' reflector will be the perfect choice.

You may want to upgrade to a dual band feed with lnb's this will be the best, so you will get both c/ku bands, some dealers have a good deal on packages to upgrade older feeds, I recommend Norsat lnb's.

If you need help upgrading your system any dealers here should be able to assist you:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=cec6d56be1e0edc0a23970b063ce3b93

Recommended dealers:
http://mechtech.satforums.com/
http://www.rpssat.com
http://www.global-cm.net/

You may also want to add a DVB unit and slave it off the 4dtv, this will add tons of free programming :)
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)