Kuro PDP5080HD atsc tuner..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hockeefan

Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Hi Gang - Love this site ! Newbie here with a question regarding my Pioneer Kuro PDP5080 plasma. View my tv programming via OTA: Winegard 7694P and ChannelMaster rotor. The Kuro has one atsc tuner. I would like to add another OTA antenna to cut down on rotor usage and possibly increase the number of channels received. Transmitting towers appx. 60 degrees apart. I thought about using a signal combiner for the 2 antenna's but have read a lot of unsuccessful stories on line. If I run 2 separate feeds to an a/b switch my question is as follows: will the Kuro tuner 'save' the channels found on its auto scan from antenna 'A' when I perform a channel scan from antenna 'B' - or will it delete them and just add the channels from the most recent scan ?
My old Channel Master converter box had this capability; it was great - you could 'update' / scan for new channels but it did not delete the ones already saved. I have a gut feeling the Pioneer atsc tuner does not have this capability. I've emailed Pioneer - no response yet. I might give them a call but I thought I'd throw this topic out the the Forum and see if anyone has had a similar situation and possible resolutions.
Thanks for your time !

No clue. But don't you already know the answer by scanning at separate times (for the two angles) on your rotator?

No clue. But don't you already know the answer by scanning at separate times (for the two angles) on your rotator?
Thanks for the reply Krell; yeah, didn't think of that while I was trying to figure this thing out - duh ! Whatever channels I get with the Channel Search won't be saved if I move the antenna and search again - it just saves the ones picked up on the new scan. I'll do some research to see if an external atsc tuner for the second antenna might be feasible.

Unfortunate. I predict the external tuner will work, though it might exhibit the same problem as your Pioneer.

New idea: do any of these tuners have a channel Add button? If so, you might be able to add the missing channels, one by one, once you switch to the 2nd antenna. This should not erase everything like the Scan button does.

Unfortunate. I predict the external tuner will work, though it might exhibit the same problem as your Pioneer.

New idea: do any of these tuners have a channel Add button? If so, you might be able to add the missing channels, one by one, once you switch to the 2nd antenna. This should not erase everything like the Scan button does.
The manual states you can add channels for analog broadcasts only and sure enough: I tried adding them manually to no avail. The 'B' input on the unit must have a ntsc tuner; I put the antenna lead into it, ran the scan and received absolutely nothing. Seems apparent to me not much value was placed in OTA digital tuners at the time of manufacture - how things change !!
I was thinking maybe I could use the internal tuner for one antenna and an external tuner for a second antenna; but it probably won't work - as both feeds would run through the same 'A' input . I'll see if I can get any answers from Pioneer via phone as still no reply from them to my email.
Thanks for your input Krell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)