L2.05 is on it's way!!!

If you've never had one single problem with your 522, one of two things has occurred.

1. You have the final version of the software that we have all been testing (or you are the statistically insignificant 0.0000000001% of the devices that work properly).
2. You've never actually used it.

While complaining about what seems to be the same problems over and over again may seem tedious, it does a couple of things.

First, for those of us that have a number of the unintended 'features' of the device, it lets us know that it is not some quirk of our individual machines, but is a widespread phenomenon.

Since Dish does not provide release notes for their seemingly endless releases, it lets us know what's been fixed and what hasn't.

mrschwarz said:
If you've never had one single problem with your 522, one of two things has occurred.

2. You've never actually used it.

Since Dish does not provide release notes for their seemingly endless releases, it lets us know what's been fixed and what hasn't.

Let me just say here, that I love my 522 to death! It's not like the thing doesn't work - it just could be more 'graceful'.

cableman2 said:
ive never had ONE single problem with my 522.....maybe its some people's ambition in life to b*tch about every little thing that bothers them.ive been in the buisness for 31 yrs and never saw such a bunch of people so obsessed with thier 522........sorry,people just piss me off,you can call it a long day working around people.....hence,dish network customers.....
It's not my ambition in life to b*tch about problems with my receiver. I really wish I had no reason to complain. I don't even complain about every problem, just the ones that make using the system unbearable.
Maybe the reason you have such long days working around dish network customers because so many of them have problems with their equipment.

I love the 522 too. If I didn't, I would have switched to another company by now.

Well,

I wont have to bitch mutch longer..
I am getting a TIVO and canceling this crappy sub!
I get free extended cable in my apartment now so screw this crap!
Our 522 is useless at this point. A VCR would be more functional!

Our box is reduced to only watching live TV OR watching recorded shows ONLY when it is not also recording live TV...

F this!

Actually, I am going to give the $99 Replay TV 30 Money Back Guarantee trial a go... Awesome features!:
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/dvr/5500/features.asp

Will I get this software update automatically? Or do I have to do something to physically download it?

It has been out for a couple of weeks so if you dont have it yet, you can follow these instructions to get it:

Verify signal from Point Dish:
Press the Menu button on the remote
Select System Setup from the Main Menu.
Select Installation from the System Setup Menu.
Select Point Dish from the Installation Menu.
Verify the signal bar is green and indicates "Locked".
Power the receiver off with the remote for 15 minutes to take the download.

solution coming???

I sent an email to dish support about all the a/v issues with playback. i love the concept of the dvr, but it's frustrating how many problems i've been having lately. it just started with the last firmware build (i think). here's the response i got:

Thank you for your email correspondence. Our engineering department is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution.

Sincerely,
Mark H.
Technical Support
Dish Network

at least they are admitting that there's an issue!

I verified I have the L2.05 software - I guess because my unit was brand new and just installed last week it has the latest... when is the next new software coming? the one that lets you use your PVR by name and not have to select it from a time grid? Last night I had my first "mishap".... while turning off the sat recv -- the lights on the recv went out --- but the picture was still on... and I couldn't do anything to get it to shut off entirely... the power button wasn't working on the remote OR on the unit... I had to pull the power cord eventually... and that is the only thing that worked. STRANGE!

doogie said:
I verified I have the L2.05 software - I guess because my unit was brand new and just installed last week it has the latest... when is the next new software coming? the one that lets you use your PVR by name and not have to select it from a time grid? Last night I had my first "mishap".... while turning off the sat recv -- the lights on the recv went out --- but the picture was still on... and I couldn't do anything to get it to shut off entirely... the power button wasn't working on the remote OR on the unit... I had to pull the power cord eventually... and that is the only thing that worked. STRANGE!
Sounds like your 522 froze up. In the future you can do a reboot by holding in the front panel power button until it restarts. Unplugging it works too.

Re-booting is the "cure all" for most problems and it seems to need a re-boot quite often. For convenience you might consider plugging it into an outlet controlled by a wall switch. :D :) :D

Update...

Update...

I'd like to report the solution to my problems.

My local installer came out at no charge and swapped out my 522 for a new one.

All is good with it for now....in my first 2 hours I have yet to experience any of the problems reported on this and other threads!

My fingers are crossed...

This has been a very popular thread and I hope in the fututre, the next one I start will be in a more positive light.

Could it be that as the hard drive fills up - more problems start happening? I've got about 75 hours of free space on my 2-week old 522, and haven't noticed any of the major problems reported in this thread.

Ned Dorsey said:
Could it be that as the hard drive fills up - more problems start happening? I've got about 75 hours of free space on my 2-week old 522, and haven't noticed any of the major problems reported in this thread.

That might be a factor, but in my opinion one major reason we see a disparity in the amount of problems reported by new users vs "older" users is that new users aren't likely to have as many timers set yet. In my experience, a timer kicking off will trigger many of the basic problems noted on the forum -- and the likelihood of problems occurring seems to go up significantly if you are watching a recording or live tv while recording one or two other shows.

Ive had my 522 for a year and NEVER have had a problem that all you people complain of ..i swear thats all u people do is complain if its not imaginary vertical line its some damn video/audio problem..i consider myself very lucky to have such a great 522 'build' ..you should just grin and bear it jeez....look at it this way...you can always go back to cable...time warner has a great pioneer DVR service that beats the hell out of satellite any day....i have both...one is free and the other....is...free......hehe i love technology.

Are you talking about the DVR and its usage being free for you? Just how did you manage to avoid the Dish Network $5 'VOD' fee? I'd like to have that discount too.

Of course as long as it's legal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)