L2.37 Software Update for Models 522 & 625

Yep, same here, always when watching recorded shows, never live tv. Something I've noticed more with 236 is that if there is an audio drop, it actually seems to have been recorded that way as well. With 235, I could rewind and replay the scene and the audio would be present.

Very frustrating. :(

It used to be much worse for me when I was watching a show spooled back a few minutes from live (like coming back after hitting the "pause" button). This was always worse that watching a truely recorded show off the DVR recordings menu. I'd get drops on DVR recordings as well, but they'd be worse on a spooled semi-recording. I can't say for sure if this scenerio still exists today. I still have drops in both scenerios, but couldn't tell you for sure if one scenerio is worse than the other.

I've only seen audio drops on recorded shows. It's pretty variable, though -- some nights I can watch an entire show with no drops, no pixellation and no sync issues. And then other nights, I feel like I spend more time going back and trying to get things in-sync than actually enjoying the show. (An exaggeration, of course, but you get the idea.)

Why the long delay in the deployment of 2.37? They must be having a ton of problems with it. It has been more than a week and it is still not fully deployed.

Any ideas?

I was watching this forum for about a month before deciding to install Dish Network in my home. I was worried about the audio problems concerning the 522's and at that time this would have been the DVR I was going to receive with the system. When the purchase was made the 625 was out and the 522 was gone. The picture quality is great but the sound problems seem to be common to the 625. I was watching a recorded show and there were 11 audio dropouts during that 1 hour show., not only that but it also makes some kind of chirp sound during playback.The first time I called Dish they had me re-boot the DVR and then unplug it for 30 seconds and she told me this would resolve the problem and that they were aware of this problem they were having., unfortunately it did not. So I called back a second time.I was told by this guy that they were aware of the problem and really had no fix for it. He said the best thing to do is that everyone who has this problem should call and they will fill out what is called an "uncommon" report, funny hah? should be called a common report. So anyway it seems that if enough people call,the status of the situation gets bumped up to the point where tech's who work on the software updates "get the message" that there is a problem and it is with allot of people and not just a few, according to him, this is the only way the issue's get resolved. He sounded sincere but to me it is bull****. Why would you come out with a new product and make it the same product but call it something else by giving it a new number? To me it is basically the same machine with the same software, having the same problems. I will call everyday if I have to and complain about the same problem until it is resolved or they can have there equipment back. I had 2 Tivo series 2 boxes with Cable, and although there were audio dropouts, it was not half as bad as this DVR. IMO, do the job, if you can't do it, step aside. Remember,there is strength in numbers., Or am I kicking a dead horse here?

I can't believe that the Dish tech people don't know the audio drops are a serious issue. That has to be the number one complaint they get.

twodose said:
I was watching this forum for about a month before deciding to install Dish Network in my home. I was worried about the audio problems concerning the 522's and at that time this would have been the DVR I was going to receive with the system. When the purchase was made the 625 was out and the 522 was gone. The picture quality is great but the sound problems seem to be common to the 625. I was watching a recorded show and there were 11 audio dropouts during that 1 hour show., not only that but it also makes some kind of chirp sound during playback.The first time I called Dish they had me re-boot the DVR and then unplug it for 30 seconds and she told me this would resolve the problem and that they were aware of this problem they were having., unfortunately it did not. So I called back a second time.I was told by this guy that they were aware of the problem and really had no fix for it. He said the best thing to do is that everyone who has this problem should call and they will fill out what is called an "uncommon" report, funny hah? should be called a common report. So anyway it seems that if enough people call,the status of the situation gets bumped up to the point where tech's who work on the software updates "get the message" that there is a problem and it is with allot of people and not just a few, according to him, this is the only way the issue's get resolved. He sounded sincere but to me it is bull****. Why would you come out with a new product and make it the same product but call it something else by giving it a new number? To me it is basically the same machine with the same software, having the same problems. I will call everyday if I have to and complain about the same problem until it is resolved or they can have there equipment back. I had 2 Tivo series 2 boxes with Cable, and although there were audio dropouts, it was not half as bad as this DVR. IMO, do the job, if you can't do it, step aside. Remember,there is strength in numbers., Or am I kicking a dead horse here?

When I called Dish with the audio problems I was having I had softwear ver. 2.37, I just looked today 05/25/05 and it is L2.38. I watched a 2 hour show of Lost, there were no audio dropouts. Is it possible they could have fixed the issue this quickly?
I saw in another post that the L2.38 upgrade was scheduled for today the 25th, that is why I checked my DVR to see if it had this upgrade since there were no audio dropouts during playback of " Lost ".

Same story with me. 2 hours of Lost without any drops or pixilization. And if I watched some other two hour show, only because my wife made me, I would say that that one was problem free as well.

L235 was bad for me. L236 fixed the audio drops. L237 brought all the problems back. L238 seems to have fixed them again.

I'm still on version 2.35. The other night we watched a recording of CSI and had audio drops and pixeling so bad it was almost unwatchable. Last night we watched a recording of NCIS (same channel, different night) and had no audio/video gliches at all. Seems like the audio/video problems come and go and it may have nothing to do with the software version. But I'm hoping your experience with version 2.38 is for real and not just a coincidence.

I still have the 235 upgrade...and the last time my 522 connected was 5-5-05...should I be receiving these upgrades like everyone else is? Just wondering....my audio drops aren't very bad.

Feeling like I am missing out on these sweet upgrades....I want to get my moneys worth!!!

Highwayman said:
I still have the 235 upgrade...and the last time my 522 connected was 5-5-05...should I be receiving these upgrades like everyone else is? Just wondering....my audio drops aren't very bad.

Feeling like I am missing out on these sweet upgrades....I want to get my moneys worth!!!
The last connect date has nothing to do with software updates. You'll get the software update when Dish makes it available for your receiver. If you turn off both tuners when you are not watching, your receiver will be ready to get the update when it is available.

Highwayman said:

Only if your receiver registration ID is in a range 58087868-61287867.

As one of the lab rats, here is my feeling on 2.38. Overall it seems good. I can't understand why they have not fixed the problem that makes us push the power button twice. I have had only one audio drop (that I've noticed), which I think would be at least a 90% drop. When restarting after pausing a show, the audio takes way too long to kick back in. I think that has gotten worse with each update.