L2.98 > L4.11 - Not much new that I notice

Ned Dorsey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Reno
Last night my 522 got upgraded from L2.98 to L4.11 I never saw L3.83

Some new features with L4.11 that I noticed:

• In the Recorded Shows List it now shows "Episode (#)" and "Original Air Date" - handy if you record a lot of not-new episodes.
• You can now "Rename" recorded shows - handy if you don't want your kids to know that you're recording late-night shows on Cinemax/HBO with the word "s*x" in the title :D You could just change the title to "Real Cooking: Part 5" - and they would skip over that show. :up

Am I missing any other changes / upgrades? It seems like a change of 2 full version numbers would have more changes/features.

You're not missing any upgrades, but as is typical whenever a new software version comes out, more problems have been created than have been solved.

My caller ID is not working. Half the time the caller ID doesn't display. If the caller ID comes up on the screen at all, the call is disconnected after the third ring.

The skip and fast forward and rewind are almost completely useless. Using the 10 second back skip sometimes causes the system to rewind to the full two hour limit if on live TV, or to the beginning of the recording if watching a DVR event. Trying to fast forward or rewind live TV sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

None of these things were occurring before the update. I called customer service, but of course they had "no known problems" like this reported.

If I didn't have about 50 hours of recorded programs on the 522 I'd call the cable company today.

Bring back L298

The only changes I've noticed are the problems with skipping forward/backward and rewind/FF. I also had trouble watching a recorded program that would freeze at certain points. If I rewound and played the same segment again it would freeze again at the same point.

Renaming recorded programs isn't a new feature. I'm pretty sure you could do that with 298.

I wonder if this is their answer the the TiVo lawsuit :confused:

This has to be one of the worst versions yet. DISH needs to quit treating their customers as beta testers. C'mon DISH, Bring back version L298 until you get the bugs fixed.

Apparently we aren't done with the problems with 4.11. Last night while watching live tv that we had buffered about 40 mins to avoid commercials, the picture froze. Unit would not respond to any commands, and in a few seconds, it shut down and the screen went to "snow". I did a soft reboot.

Later, while watching a recorded program, the exact same thing happened. I called customer service and related all the problems and asked that the issue be sent to tech support so they could work on it. After a lot of back and forth I won't go into, I was told that the issues will be sent on for fixing.

I am not optimistic given their track record, but we'll see what happens.

Well they shouldn't have updated the 522 - ticks me off - im having the same problems - freezing, and rewind itself back to the beginning etc etc. They need to fix that NOW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts