L3.41 Software update ?

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
OK, so my Vip211 downloaded the 3.41 software update and now I notice one thing that is different.
I have my preferences set to 1080i and of course it scales 480i to 1080i automatically and I thought it used to do the same for 720p but now I notice that whenever I switch to a channel (either local OR satellite ) that transmits in 720p, my tv flickers, blanks for a second and appears to change resolution. It is almost like the receiver is doing native pass-thru for 720p and I don't remember it doing that before. Mind you, I am not complaining, just wondering if it is a sign of things to come or just my imagination?

Sometimes things get a little slow here on the weekends - especially mornings. I don't have a 211, so can't offer much help. Does sound weird though. If it is a NR pass thru thing, seems like they'd add something to the menu (maybe install or preferences) to control it.

Hey guys-
My 211 now has the 3.41 software - I didn't even know there was a release since the partial one of 3.40 over the past week.

I am not noticing any "flickering" between channels with different resolutions. So not sure about the native resolution.

Smallwood -
What specific channels are you seeing this on?

Specifically, when I switch to ESPN, my local ABC station, my local Fox station, which all broadcast 720p, I have a momentary blank screen followed by a flicker and then it syncs. If I then switch from one channel to another channel that are both 720p there is no flicker but when I change to another channel that is either 480i OR 1080i I then get another blank screen/flicker as if the TV is changing resolutions again.

I used to have an H20 receiver from D* and before that I used a LG4200 OTA receiver and this is just like when I had those receivers set to native and the TV was changing resolution to match the output of the STB. My TV is a Sony LCD RP Grand WegaIII. Maybe that makes a difference, dunno.

gjh3260 said:
bg......i tried the stations you indicated and dont see any flickering on my Samsung TV.

Then that would indicate to me that it must be something specific to Sony and possibly the way they handle the HDMI handshake. I may try hooking up component cables later today and test it with those to see. I have been curious anyway as to how component compared to HDMI. Thanks for the feedback.

bgsmallwood said:
OK, so my Vip211 downloaded the 3.41 software update and now I notice one thing that is different.
I have my preferences set to 1080i and of course it scales 480i to 1080i automatically and I thought it used to do the same for 720p but now I notice that whenever I switch to a channel (either local OR satellite ) that transmits in 720p, my tv flickers, blanks for a second and appears to change resolution. It is almost like the receiver is doing native pass-thru for 720p and I don't remember it doing that before. Mind you, I am not complaining, just wondering if it is a sign of things to come or just my imagination?

Thanks for the confirmation. This is exactly what I was complaining about in my post "Did Dish F***up my HDMI".

Last edited:
bgsmallwood said:

Out of curiosity, what brand of HDMI cable do you have and how long is it? Just kidding:)
Looks like you been bugged too. But at least your TV is able to hold the buggy signal. Unlike my Vizio that will drop it from time to time.

kbghdg said:
Out of curiosity, what brand of HDMI cable do you have and how long is it? Just kidding:)
Looks like you been bugged too. But at least your TV is able to hold the buggy signal. Unlike my Vizio that will drop it from time to time.

I have the same 3' $15 cable from monoprice that I had with the H20 and my LG 4200 box. This is definitely something that started with the 3.41 software update and from the reaction in this thread it affects mostly OR only Sony television viewers. My hunch is that the HDMI handshake process is implemented differently by different manufacturers. I have to say I am extremely disappointed by all the problems that come with HDMI and its various incarnations. And why? Mainly because the media moguls are still trying to push a copyright system on us that keeps changing by the day and makes it impossible for equipment manufacturers to comply with completely.

I think I will stop complaining now and go find my component cables and try those.:)

i have a sony tv hooked up to the vip211 via hdmi, after the L341 update, i am experiencing no flickering like above posts. also, this update fixed the audio problems when the ota channels audio would go out, or sat channels would lose audio when switching between the two. this update definately fixed that! this update also seems to have fixed the audio/video sync issue on the vip211...now when people talk, i can actually watch the words come out of there mouth in real time!

light200 said:
i have a sony tv hooked up to the vip211 via hdmi, after the L341 update, i am experiencing no flickering like above posts. also, this update fixed the audio problems when the ota channels audio would go out, or sat channels would lose audio when switching between the two. this update definately fixed that! this update also seems to have fixed the audio/video sync issue on the vip211...now when people talk, i can actually watch the words come out of there mouth in real time!

Come to think of it, I haven't had this problem anymore either since the update. Still it is almost as irritating to have put up wilth the flicker when switching to and from 720p stations. Anyway, I hooked up a quality set of component cables and there is no flicker so as I suspected, it is an HDMI issue. Honestly I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component on my set so I am seriously considering switching to component permanently on my 211 and devoting the HDMI slot on the TV to an upconverting DVD recorder now that they have become so inexpensive.

light200 said:
... this update also seems to have fixed the audio/video sync issue on the vip211...now when people talk, i can actually watch the words come out of there mouth in real time!
It's about time they fixed the audio sync problem. I've only had my VIP211s for 3 weeks, but the sync problem was very annoying. I can't believe they took months to fix something so basic.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)