L4.03 on 622

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If anyone recalls the "instructions" in the email for L4.01, one thing they mentioned to look for was back-to-back timers and if they work properly. I also beta-tested software for my local Time Warner for the SA 8300HD set-top and one major issue involved back-to-back recordings and they wanted me to actually create random timers to test this.

Right. Now set a timer for the show immediately following that one on the same OTA channel. Then go back and check the timers. It pads the first show 1 min at the beginning and the second show 3 min at the end. But the end of the first show and the beginning of the second are not padded. Why? They can't be because you only have one ATSC tuner.

.....G

I just checked my timer for House (OTA) which immediately follows Dancing With The Stars (OTA) and it shows an ending "pad" of 30 minutes. I didn't set it up that way. It did show 0 for the beginning pad as it should.

Just checked the end of the Dancing With The Stars recording and the beginning of the House recording. Dancing With The Stars ended at about 8:58 and House started at about 8:58. Shouldn't the middle of the timers begin and end on the hour?

Apparently you can still record PPVs to your DVR, but they're flagged "copy-once" or similar and the DVD recorder sees and honors that copy-protection flag. It's the DVD recorder that's telling him it can't record, not the DVR.

I'm sure they activated MacroVision copy protection as it's the only way to prevent copying on an analog link such as composite or S-video. Doesn't surprise me though. They'll (studios) do anything to keep us from making our paid-for programming portable...'cuz we're all haXors and crooks! :D

I'm glad to report that I haven't seen any more crashes after my initial update to 4.03. I am seeing different behavior when fast forwarding content. Instead of the steady replay speed it used to have it now "pulses" speeding up and slowing down as it fast forwards. Is everyone seeing this change?

Yes, me too...annoying.

I'm also having problems with the skip back. Instead of 10 seconds it's more like 10-60 seconds...no telling what. I also tried to frame back from pause and instead of one frame, it jumped back almost two minutes. I don't fast search much, but still. Don't break my stuff, Dish!!

Funny you should mention. My wife and I were watching back to back Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. My settings were 1 min before and 3 min after also. Both of my recordings were also 30 minutes. Not sure if changing "before and after times" will help or not.

This happened to me on House last night. Recording from the HD local in the 6000 block and the 65 minute timer recorded 60 minutes and the previews of next week were cut off.

Damn you, American Idol!!!

I'm sure they activated MacroVision copy protection as it's the only way to prevent copying on an analog link such as composite or S-video. Doesn't surprise me though. They'll (studios) do anything to keep us from making our paid-for programming portable...'cuz we're all haXors and crooks! :D

I've recorded and transfered 2 PPV movies since 4.03 without any problems. It may have been an isolated inciedent for whomever posted the original problem with this.

I went from 3.66 to 4.03 and found two problems:

1. All of my Favorites lists were changed to contain every channel available. Had to manually go back into each and set them up again. Since then, I've noticed a couple of channels on one of lists that I did not include but are there now.

2. On the programming guide, it no longer displays recording info. IE. It used to tell you what was scheduled to be recorded, it's priority and if you scheduled only new episodes and a rerun was scheduled, it would show an X. Mine no longer shows this info. The only way I can tell if a recording is going on or will happen is to look at the DVR schedule or recording listing (or see the red light for current recordings). Are these problems unique to my unit or are others finding the same issues?:cool:

I went from 3.66 to 4.03 and found two problems:

1. All of my Favorites lists were changed to contain every channel available. Had to manually go back into each and set them up again. Since then, I've noticed a couple of channels on one of lists that I did not include but are there now.

2. On the programming guide, it no longer displays recording info. IE. It used to tell you what was scheduled to be recorded, it's priority and if you scheduled only new episodes and a rerun was scheduled, it would show an X. Mine no longer shows this info. The only way I can tell if a recording is going on or will happen is to look at the DVR schedule or recording listing (or see the red light for current recordings). Are these problems unique to my unit or are others finding the same issues?:cool:

Looks like you might need to select the show skip in the daily schedule menu to get all this back on #2. If this is what you mean.

Way Cool! OTA Program Guide Info

Very Cool. For the first time since the L3.63 software was uploaded, I just noticed that three of my four OTA HD nets now have program guide info.

They used to have program guide info, but it went away when the L3.63 disaster occured; and until yesterday, never returned. I have no idea why, but I am not complaining. The 12 hour "Digital Service" listing was never particularly useful! :D

Not sure if L4.03 had anything to do with it...

The guide data you're seeing isn't related to the system's software. Dish either fixed the guide data for your market (it was mis-matched and not syncing with the OTA channels you were getting) or they uplinked the guide data for your main digital sub-channels.

The guide data you're seeing isn't related to the system's software. Dish either fixed the guide data for your market (it was mis-matched and not syncing with the OTA channels you were getting) or they uplinked the guide data for your main digital sub-channels.

That makes sense, but the reason why I assumed software was impacted is because I had guide data until L3.63/65; but for the past six months or so, it was gone; and just now turned up again, after 4.03.

Regardless, I am glad to have it for at least three of the four OTA net affiliates.

Because of unidentified receiver models having trouble with all the added guide data, they rolled back many of the OTA guide data channels they had added. So software may be very related. They said they would again add these channels once the software on these receivers was fixed. I don't think it was the software on the 622 but as I said they didn't identify what receivers were having trouble.

Others have alluded to a memory issue, specifically, a lack of memory. A software change can't do anything about that ! :) I guess what they can do with software is tell the incapable receivers to ignore the data.

Here's a strange one. Came home late last night and wanted to watch one of my recorded programs. I got a message saying my drive was full and I would have to delete. I saw I had only 4 programs (should have been around 13 or 14). I saw that one of the shows, an episode of Austin Stevens, Snakemaster, which I had selected to "record remaining" as I had to leave befor the show was over. Thre was a little over an hour left at that point.

Well, the 622 recorded 27 hours, and deleted all of the other shows except for 3. I wish I had played it back instead of simply deleting it, but I didn't.

Anyone else ever seen that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)